Thread: HSPA vs. CDMA

Feedback Score

HSPA vs. CDMA

Anyone considering switching back to CDMA? I'm finding I get almost no reception at my home, and the HSPA network seems to be very oversubscribed downtown Toronto. Data works fine most of the time but calls keep dropping and I have to try a bunch of times before I can even have a call go through.

Has CDMA gotten "better" with less users on it?

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nk416 View Post
    Anyone considering switching back to CDMA? I'm finding I get almost no reception at my home, and the HSPA network seems to be very oversubscribed downtown Toronto. Data works fine most of the time but calls keep dropping and I have to try a bunch of times before I can even have a call go through.

I'm in Edmonton, and recently I sold my 3GS with the intent of upgrading to the 4. Between my sale and purchase, there was about two days in between where I was using an old 1x dumbphone, and while the reception was indicating full bars, the voice quality was much worse, both for speaking and hearing.

Before I had my 3GS I had a Palm Pre which is of course a smartphone on the evdo CDMA network. Voice quality was almost as good IMO, but the data speeds were much less than either my 3GS or 4. Reception/speed was always better on my hspa phones vs my CDMA phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

I really would advise against it. I have a feeling bell is planning on killing off the entire CDMA network once they don't sell devices that use it.

Phone
    Sidekick 4G
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furry Atom View Post
    I really would advise against it. I have a feeling bell is planning on killing off the entire CDMA network once they don't sell devices that use it.
    They still have lots of Solo and Virgin subscribers on CDMA (not to mention it's fairly recent that Bell's line shifted away from CDMA. Though it still has some available.)

They wouldn't shut it down any earlier than 3 years after selling their last CDMA device, as they'd have to give a new device to anybody on-term using CDMA when they turn it off. Look how long Analog stayed around.

One of Bell's execs also said basically "The CDMA network is paid for and we've got plenty of frequency, there's no reason to decommission it."

I would say it's safe to still buy CDMA devices. Go for whatever gives you better signal where it matters most.

Feedback Score
    Bell won't invest any more money in CDMA and maintaing it is an afterthought, they are encouraging a move to hspa.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (32GB)
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (16GB)
    iPhone 4 (32GB), BlackBerry Pearl 8130 (both sold on eBay)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    Not to mention, they must be making a reasonable amount of money from roaming Sprint/Verizon CDMA customers...

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I dunno, I keep my old Nokia 6275i on a basic $20 plan from Bell and the odd time that I've had to use it, reception was better than my HSPA Moto Dext in some parts of Ottawa and my calls didn't drop running through downtown.

Reception is an important issue for me, especially in buildings. Here at work, my desk is about 15 ft back from the front window. Reception on my Moto = 0-1/4 bars (text/data work somewhat, but no calls), Nokia = 3-4/5 bars (full text/data and I can make calls).

Then again, those older Nokias are known for legendary reception.
    - Michael Artelle

Current Mobile Device(s): BELL Motorola DEXT - Modded to run Android 2.1 (adlxmod), WIND Huawei E1691 Data Stick

Old Mobile Devices (Still Useable): BELL Nokia 6275i, BELL HTC Touch Diamond, BELL Blackberry Pearl 8130, BELL Nokia N97

Dead Mobile Devices: BELL Nokia 2855i, VIRGIN Nokia 3155i, FIDO SonyEricsson W300i

Once my contract is up in 2013, bye bye BHELL!

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

West of GTA seems much better CDMA coverage. Same with Northern ON.
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Phone
    Atrix (for now)
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Yep. I am. (new user here)

Just before I left for my holidays, I got the new Atrix. Once home, I found out that I had lost my "JustOne" service. Aftter many calls to Bell Home (where I was transfered to Bell mobility, then back and forth between Bell home and Bell Mobility), I was told that the JustOne feature was not available for HSPA phones, only CDMA.

So, I am seriously considering going back to CDMA using my trusted HTC Touch (3 years old and counting).

André

P.S. I had to call Bell from the Bahamas (on their dime, as I was vacationing) over 3 days to finaly get an answer as to why I lost the service.

Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_art03a
    I dunno, I keep my old Nokia 6275i on a basic $20 plan from Bell and the odd time that I've had to use it, reception was better than my HSPA Moto Dext in some parts of Ottawa and my calls didn't drop running through downtown.

Reception is an important issue for me, especially in buildings. Here at work, my desk is about 15 ft back from the front window. Reception on my Moto = 0-1/4 bars (text/data work somewhat, but no calls), Nokia = 3-4/5 bars (full text/data and I can make calls).

Then again, those older Nokias are known for legendary reception.
    The new ones are just as great. I've got useable signal in places that many other phones struggle with. As far as a network type, HSPA+ is where the industry is going, however, I don't see Bellus shutting off it's CDMA network anytime soon, because of the roaming agreements with Verizon, Sprint, MTS Mobility, and Sasktel. For which one is better? Thats entirely up to the user

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you use only voice and a little of data ... cdma with evdo is better !
    i work in the montreal - gaspesie corridor !
    for me is cdma for ever ! i have miss too many important call with different hspa phone ( with 4-5 bar i have miss call )
    i have for the moment an cdma lg versa 9600 i have buy at wall mart @ 49.97 - great signal and great sound quality !
    for my email and data i have a the huawei aircard on hspa ! ( speed is very good for me i have near 5-6 mbits in download and 2-3 in upload ! perfect for my mail )

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    I've compared Bell CDMA with Telus CDMA, (via OTA scans) for some reason Bell's CDMA is weaker.

But for some reason Bell's EVDO is FASTER than Telus even though its weaker.

dunno about HSPA don't have a phone for that
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor