Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 299

Thread: Verizon Home Phone Connect release and information thread

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    154
    Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree. There's something else going on here. If it were just about roaming, then prepay (which doesn't roam) would have a $20 unlimited plan. They don't. So, the only possible conclusions I see are:

    1. Verizon can make money on unlimited minutes for only $20 per month, and the rest of us are suckers for paying more to carry a cell phone around.

    or

    2. Verizon is selling this at a loss to push landline service out of business for future profit potential.

    or

    3. Verizon desperately needs to increase it's subscriber #'s for some bogus financial reason:
    a. They want to impress wall street with some giant increase in subscribers
    b. They want to impress some venture capital firm to get more investment for 5G service (jk)

    or

    4. Verizon gets some kind of government money for land lines that they can't get for cell service.

    I don't know what's going on here, but it stinks like something, I just can't put my finger on it, yet.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    154
    Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Oh yeah, and it roams, so don't tell me it's cheaper because it doesn't:

    "Some coverage areas include networks run by other carriers."
    http://support.vzw.com/clc/faqs/Equi...ml?grp=1&faq=3

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    290
    Feedback Score
    0
    1. I think they can make more money if they did this with typical cell phones assuming, other features are bundled like txting/data...
    we all know they make a lot on the unl texting.

    2. Yes that makes sense!
    3. Maybe...

    If they advertise this enough it should put a nice dent in the landline biz in areas that have good vzw coverage which is a lot of areas...
    with inexpensive hardware basically unl calling for less than vonage and NO broadband needed.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,422
    Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingJ85 View Post
    Got mine today.. Hooked it up a few minutes ago.

    It's still cell phone quality really, but having a higher quality speaker and mic does help.. but it's not a landline for sure! No way FAX will work.

    BTW, it is hooked up to my whole house wiring.. but I was already disconnected from the Verizon NID outside, as we had Comcast Digital Voice connected to the house wiring.

    It does work, and saves me $30 a month over Comcast for a home phone that might make 5 calls a week.
    I was with BellSouth/AT&T for many years ($54 for only local calls), but two years ago I changed the home phone service to Comcast Digital Voice (Triple Play special) that uses an eMTA modem. My Epson all-in-one has a fax, and works fine with the Comcast, so too bad it wouldn't with the Verizon Home Phone Connect. I think the Comcast Digital Voice is like $35 here if it's not bundled with other service, so going to $20 for the Verizon one is only a savings of $15/month. For that I wouldn't do it.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

    => VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,422
    Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE View Post
    Who says it has to be stationary?
    I could install it in anything from a bike to an RV and it should work fine... someone explain how If i have 120V @ 1-2amps this would somehow not work?

    & yes I can easily put an inverter and 12v battery on my mountain bike
    seriously for those who travel with their RV this could be rather handy just for the fact the unlimited is so cheap.. and yes there could be roaming Though there isn't "much" of that anymore in the USA anyway, less ur in alaska hmmmm

    Hopefully i'm not giving people too many ideas lol....
    You have to see if the device is handed-off from one cell tower to another while it's in use (like a normal cell phone), or if it has to be in one place while being used. Even if that's the case, you could still put it in a RV and use it while your not moving.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,422
    Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by seddy View Post
    I agree. There's something else going on here. If it were just about roaming, then prepay (which doesn't roam) would have a $20 unlimited plan. They don't. So, the only possible conclusions I see are:

    1. Verizon can make money on unlimited minutes for only $20 per month, and the rest of us are suckers for paying more to carry a cell phone around.

    or

    2. Verizon is selling this at a loss to push landline service out of business for future profit potential.

    or

    3. Verizon desperately needs to increase it's subscriber #'s for some bogus financial reason:
    a. They want to impress wall street with some giant increase in subscribers
    b. They want to impress some venture capital firm to get more investment for 5G service (jk)

    or

    4. Verizon gets some kind of government money for land lines that they can't get for cell service.

    I don't know what's going on here, but it stinks like something, I just can't put my finger on it, yet.
    Since you have to be a Verizon Wireless cell customer with a Family Share line in order to purchase and use the Home Phone Connect, you have to wonder how many people would get Verizon cell service just so they could also add the Home Phone Connect. My guess is not many.

    What I think is that it's targeted to people who are already Verizon cell customers, but still have a home land-line (POTS) phone. They will probably get some type of advertisement saying "Attention Verizon Wireless customer. If you still have home phone land-line service, you can get a free Verizon Home Phone Connect device (with 2-year agreement) and monthly usage from only $9.99, or $19.99 for unlimited usage."

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    290
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    You have to see if the device is handed-off from one cell tower to another while it's in use (like a normal cell phone), or if it has to be in one place while being used. Even if that's the case, you could still put it in a RV and use it while your not moving.
    If it does not hand off, then would you not have a lot of dropped calls when it would otherwise hand off to a diff tower when one gets too busy? I have seen my Droid switch towers while It was on my desk... using net monitor app

    I suppose it could be locked to one SID though, that should work for most situations at home...

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5561
    Support Cable/Satellite receivers

    So I dont know why faxes would not work then??? Maybe it goes into a different mode/codec when it detects the data tones? I don't know why people would want that over email but someone should try it for the heck of it!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,422
    Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Since it just came out, I'm not sure if they'll be sending me a demo unit to test out or not. But if they do, I'll see if it will work with my Epson all-in-one fax.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE View Post
    If it does not hand off, then would you not have a lot of dropped calls when it would otherwise hand off to a diff tower when one gets too busy? I have seen my Droid switch towers while It was on my desk... using net monitor app

    I suppose it could be locked to one SID though, that should work for most situations at home...

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5561
    Support Cable/Satellite receivers

    So I dont know why faxes would not work then??? Maybe it goes into a different mode/codec when it detects the data tones? I don't know why people would want that over email but someone should try it for the heck of it!
    Well it does have a GPS unit for E911 purposes. And Verizon uses EVRC which has a max rate of 8kbps, any area's are now EVRC-B which can go down to 4kbps. The old 13K codec isn't used really but I guess it's possible to use that though I seriously doubt an Alarm would work reliably over this.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have AT&T U-VERSE Voice which is just a dedicated G.711u VOIP line with 64kbps and I have trouble faxing over it so I know I won't be over this. Also it only support's cellular 911, so if your 911 dispatch center only support's B911 or Phase I wireless 911 services your screwed. Even with Phase II which is the most advanced, they typically don't have you location but to within a few houses, and forget Apartment's or Condo's....

    You cannot beat a landline for accuracy and safety when it comes to E911. A landline route's to the correct PSAP and delivers correct E911 information. If you border cities which I border 4 and 2 counties, then your chances of being initially connected to the correct PSAP are only 25-50%..

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    154
    Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Since you have to be a Verizon Wireless cell customer with a Family Share line in order to purchase and use the Home Phone Connect, you have to wonder how many people would get Verizon cell service just so they could also add the Home Phone Connect. My guess is not many.

    What I think is that it's targeted to people who are already Verizon cell customers, but still have a home land-line (POTS) phone. They will probably get some type of advertisement saying "Attention Verizon Wireless customer. If you still have home phone land-line service, you can get a free Verizon Home Phone Connect device (with 2-year agreement) and monthly usage from only $9.99, or $19.99 for unlimited usage."
    Unless I'm readying something wrong, you do NOT have to be a current customer, or have a family share plan for the $20 unlimited plan - that can be stand-alone.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Carrollton, Ga
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Verizon Blackberry
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just got mine today, it is hooked up and working great. I will post more after I use it for a few days.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    162
    Device(s)
    droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I currently have a tellular device that has it's own plan. It does the same thing as this home connect does, I wonder if I can hook that up to this new plan or will I have to get verizons equipment?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    573
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just ordered mine tonight and can't wait to compare it to my [email protected] router. Of course each unit works in different ways.

    T-mobile unit
    • You don't need a cell signal, but you do need a cable/DSL Internet.
    • Can be used anywhere with an high speed Internet.
    • You can use your cell phone sim in the router, so it would work like the $9.99 plan from Verizon.
    • It supports up to 2 phone lines.


    Verizon unit
    • Can be used anywhere you get a verizon signal.
    • Battery backup
    • Don't need DSL/cable connection.
    • Don't need a cell phone linked to this device. (unless you pay $9.99)
    • Can pimp my van with a wired landline phone. Lol
    Last edited by tivoman; 02-21-2011 at 12:51 AM.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,422
    Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    If anyone has a Verizon Network Extender, it would be interesting to see if this unit would connect though it, or still has to use the local cell tower.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2195
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 12:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1398
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks