Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Home Phone Connect release and information thread

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt2sniper View Post
    Okay heres a quick rundown.
    Do you know if this will work with a Network Extender, for those who do not have decent home coverage from a native tower?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't see why it wouldn't, but that's kind of a roundabout (and at $20 per month, expensive) way to do VoIP at home.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't, but that's kind of a roundabout (and at $20 per month, expensive) way to do VoIP at home.
    What is a cheaper way if you have no viable VZW signal?

-Frank

Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    What is a cheaper way if you have no viable VZW signal?

-Frank
    If having the service from VZW is important (due to M2M considerations) it may be the cheapest. However, if M2M is not important, there are many less expensive VoIP alternatives starting at less than $2 a month. I haven't used an extender, but wouldn't assume it to be much better than a decent VoIP connection using a cordless phone.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ617 View Post
    If having the service from VZW is important (due to M2M considerations) it may be the cheapest. However, if M2M is not important, there are many less expensive VoIP alternatives starting at less than $2 a month. I haven't used an extender, but wouldn't assume it to be much better than a decent VoIP connection using a cordless phone.
    Do those other alternatives include using your existing cordless handsets? You keep saying VoIP, so I suppose that's the technology? Anyway, isn't it true that this device is targeting folks who want to use their existing cell service (i.e. already paying for it anyway) in combo with their existing cordless phones (i.e. already paid for ). I am unclear as to which alternatives you are speaking of. Can you name a few? Just not getting it, I guess.

-Frank

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It will work with the Network Extender, it is portable, 20.00 a month for unlimited calling or add a line for 9.99 and use your plan mins (free Verizon calling and night and weekend mins).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Do employee discounts apply on the $19.99/month plan? Since its under $34.95/month, I would guess not. But is it a full voice plan, not an add-on line.
    No, don't think so. 19.99 for unlimited talk is not bad tho.

Device(s)
    LG EnV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    It dial's the monitoring station's number but can't transmit any information.
    I've set up the Home Phone Connect. I previously had Comcast Digital Voice, so my phone lines were already disconnected outside the house. I was able, therefore, to plug my HPC into one of my phone jacks and now have it going to every jack in the house. The Broadview home security system, however, is proving to be quite the enigma. I called them ahead of time and they told me the Verizon HPC was an acceptable and compatible home phone system. Now that I have it set up, I tried to test it. It takes hold of the phone line like it should, but it won't actually transmit the information to Broadview, so the test fails. I don't know if it has something to do with the number of digits it dials (since HPC requires the 10-digit # like cell phones) or if it is waiting for a "Send" key to be pushed, or something completely different. I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and has found a solution.

Device(s)
    S. Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless/Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Do those other alternatives include using your existing cordless handsets? You keep saying VoIP, so I suppose that's the technology? Anyway, isn't it true that this device is targeting folks who want to use their existing cell service (i.e. already paying for it anyway) in combo with their existing cordless phones (i.e. already paid for ). I am unclear as to which alternatives you are speaking of. Can you name a few? Just not getting it, I guess.

-Frank
    Ooma is one such VOIP provider, buy the hardware up front then pay like $3 a month in taxes. http://www.ooma.com/ I bought one this winter and have been happy with it. Disconnected from the landline and plugged the ooma box into my home wiring, works throughout the house.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seddy View Post
    I agree. There's something else going on here. If it were just about roaming, then prepay (which doesn't roam) would have a $20 unlimited plan. They don't. So, the only possible conclusions I see are:

1. Verizon can make money on unlimited minutes for only $20 per month, and the rest of us are suckers for paying more to carry a cell phone around.
    What I wonder is, if they analyzed usage from Verizon's landline business, and found that average landlines do not have the kind of minutes racked up on them that cell phones do, and may also be used most heavily at times when VZW's network is not at peak usage anyway. After all, a person is only going to use their landline when they are at home, while they could potentially use the cell phone all day.

2. Verizon is selling this at a loss to push landline service out of business for future profit potential.
    I doubt it. I mean, maybe, but in Verizon areas they're competing with themselves, and other areas Verizon won't gain by putting the landline carrier out of business.
    3. Verizon desperately needs to increase it's subscriber #'s for some bogus financial reason:
    a. They want to impress wall street with some giant increase in subscribers
    b. They want to impress some venture capital firm to get more investment for 5G service (jk)
    Oh, the cellcos seem to ALL be obsessed with having the highest possible subscriber count.

-----
    Regarding the alarm system... I hope you get it sorted out. But my guess is that, although the alarm can physically connect and dial out, the signal is not "clean" enough for the data connection to successfully connect. The modem "should" be able to connect at 1200baud or something, but even 10 or 15 years ago when I was getting out of modems some dialups were set to only try down to 9600baud or so.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rza49311 View Post
    Ordered one yesterday. Should be here tomorrow. This is going to hopefully be a great solution for my situation. We currently have no home phone service and yesterday we had an emergency babysitter stay with our son at our home. The problem was, she had no cellphone and since we have no home phone my wife was freaked out. Using our family share, we come no where near the 1400 minutes we are allotted so we went with the 9.99 service to use our existing plan minutes. Also, there are no broadband options where we live other than satellite or air card. I've got an aircard with speeds around 200KB-500KB fluctuation so VOIP isn't really an option either. Standard 1xRTT signal was hit or miss until the AT&T divesture in my area. I know this sounds silly but I'm not sure if Verizon hopped towers or what but our voice signal is great now. We never drop calls now and before mid Jan this year we would drop calls routinely unless we were right by a window. The Home connect seems to be a perfect fit for us if it works correctly.
    Well, so far so good with the home connect. I set it up last Thursday and haven't had any issues with it. I'm getting moderate signal and the call quality is on par with my cell. Not much else to say about it really. It works just like we need it to. You do have to dial the area code with every number so 10-digit dialing for everything. I'd be glad to answer any questions that anyone might have.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have dialed numbers in the same area code with only 7 numbers. My number is in the 951 area code. I know if I had a 818 area code, you would have to dial all ten digits, since there is another area code that overlays it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    I have dialed numbers in the same area code with only 7 numbers. My number is in the 951 area code. I know if I had a 818 area code, you would have to dial all ten digits, since there is another area code that overlays it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    You know I never even tried 7 digits. I just read the manual and it stated 10 digit for all. I'll have to try it tonight.

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I thought it waits until the 10th digit to "auto-press" SEND.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firemandan9 View Post
    Ooma is one such VOIP provider, buy the hardware up front then pay like $3 a month in taxes. http://www.ooma.com/ I bought one this winter and have been happy with it. Disconnected from the landline and plugged the ooma box into my home wiring, works throughout the house.
    Did some quick Googling... Ooma is not the same as the Verizon device. The Ooma devices requires an Internet connection. The Verizon device does not. All that is required is a cell tower native cell signal. To me that's apples and oranges, no?

-Frank

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast