Thread: Best AT&T phone that does not require a data plan?

Phone
    Iphone 5s 64gb
    Carrier
    Verizon/Testing AT&T for possible switch
    Feedback Score

Best AT&T phone that does not require a data plan?

I want to port my son over to my account(12yrs old) but i don't want to get him a data plan for his phone. All the phones out there that seem decent require a plan(at least the ones i looked at)

Anything out there? I wanted to get something like a windows phone 7 for him without a data plan but they wont do it, I would be alright with him have a phone like that but without the extra data connection cost.

Phones
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Big V
    Feedback Score
    I also would like to know the answer to this question; particularly a phone that specializes in 3G reception and has a quarty keyboard.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The AT&T Quick Messaging Devices no longer require that you spend at least $20.00 on data/messaging. If you get the Family Messaging Unlimited for $30.00, which covers up to five lines, you can get data for his phone for $10.00 per month. That is a small price to pay for accidental data access which could run into the hundreds of dollars if not noticed right away.
    Last edited by efparri; 03-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I've been interested in the Xenon for a while, but i saw reports of not being able to hold onto 3G as well as other phones.

To be honest, I've taken quite an interest in that HTC Freestyle.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Phones
    Me: HTC Inspire 4G
    Wife: Strive
    In-Laws: Flight II (1 each)
    Carriers
    AT&T since 11/01
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The AT&T Quick Messaging Devices no longer require that you spend at least $20.00 on dat/messaging. If you get the Family Messaging Unlimited for $30.00, which covers up to five lines, you can get data for his phone for $10.00 per month. That is a small price to pay for accidental data access which could run into the hundreds of dollars if not noticed right away.
    As long as Junkhead's kid doesn't need to send pics via SMS texting, Junkhead can have data blocked entirely on his kid's bill (or any other line on his bill).
    My first cell plan was with Cellular One (circa 10/94). It was $49.95/month for 100 LOCAL minutes, voicemail was $4.95/month extra, and it was an additional $.10 to per call to call a landline. No "nights"! - only weekends.
    Now: Nation 850 (total of 4 lines): Unlimited M2M & N/W~$79.97/mo. No landline since 1/05!

Right now I feel:

Phones
    HTC Inspire
    BB Curve 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if you are still looking for an answer,but we got my daughter the Pantech Laser and she loves it. It has a touch screen and a full keyboard. Can't tell you how the phone call quality is - she has only made about 2 or 3 calls in teh past month - but she has sent/received over 2000 texts. We have completely blocked data on her line, which also means she can't send/receive pictures. At first that bugged me, but then on second thought I realized it was better that she couldn't do that...

Feedback Score
    Got an HTC Freestyle on Friday and plan on returning it. Although the hardware is great, the software is too buggy. It froze twice in one day and in both cases I had to remove the battery. Texting can also lag.

However, I will miss the FM radio, music player, and 3.5 mm headset jack...oh well.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcster View Post
    As long as Junkhead's kid doesn't need to send pics via SMS texting, Junkhead can have data blocked entirely on his kid's bill (or any other line on his bill).
    Quote Originally Posted by hjmlm View Post
    I don't know if you are still looking for an answer,but we got my daughter the Pantech Laser and she loves it. It has a touch screen and a full keyboard. Can't tell you how the phone call quality is - she has only made about 2 or 3 calls in teh past month - but she has sent/received over 2000 texts. We have completely blocked data on her line, which also means she can't send/receive pictures. At first that bugged me, but then on second thought I realized it was better that she couldn't do that...
    Yeah, sadly the retards or greedheads at AT&T refuse to allow MMS with a data block.

Maybe now that they want to acquire T-Mobile they can learn how T-Mobile has done it all these years...
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    we got an ATT prepaid (gophone) for our daughter on the simple pay-go plan, she has a text feature package of 1,000 sms for $10 a month, they also have unlimited for $20 and it's 10 cents a min for calls but she calls very little.

We have data disabled, but not from ATT, we created a "dummy" internet profile which will not go into the internet basically.

She used to accidentally press the browser button and we fixed that with that.

Instructions we got here:
    http://208.74.204.154/t5/LG/LG-Neon-...s/td-p/1896707

She can still send MMS that way and it just deducts a few cents data use for that.