Thread: Optimus V Constantly Running Low On Phone Memory.

Phone
    Rooted LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Optimus V Constantly Running Low On Phone Memory.

I don't understand why this is happening, and it's getting really annoying. is anyone else having this problem? i don't really think i have many SMS/MMS messages saved in the phone, and i don't really have very many applications on the actual phone memory because I'm rooted and I've used the command that changes the default save location of applications to the SD card, and allows you to move all applications to the SD card. I've done everything I can to conserve phone memory on this device and it still seems to constantly report that it's low on memory and will not allow me to send SMS/MMS messages. Even stranger, it seems to report that the phone is low on memory when there's 17/18MB of phone memory left. Is this the major downfall of this phone with anyone else?
    ALWAYS TRY GOOGLE FIRST!

Feedback Score
    you have too many apps running. the easiest solution is to use something like advanced task killer free to close them.

if you're talking about storage, you'll have to see how much each app takes up and make decisions about what you want to keep if you can't move anymore apps to the SD card.

some apps you can clear the cache to free up more memory.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The phone will report that low memory condition at about that level of free app memory. I'd look at the apps location as reported by something like Apps 2 SD Free and see what's being reported as still loaded into main memory. The other thing to remember is that only a portion of the app is loaded on the card, even with that option. I've run into the same thing, but I'm not rooted. It's easy to think that Froyo and an SD card will give you unlimited space to load apps if the phone is rooted, but the reality is quite different.

Phone
    Rooted LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TVCCS View Post
    The phone will report that low memory condition at about that level of free app memory. I'd look at the apps location as reported by something like Apps 2 SD Free and see what's being reported as still loaded into main memory. The other thing to remember is that only a portion of the app is loaded on the card, even with that option. I've run into the same thing, but I'm not rooted. It's easy to think that Froyo and an SD card will give you unlimited space to load apps if the phone is rooted, but the reality is quite different.

i'm using Apps2SD, that was my primary means of moving applications before I rooted, but then I realized that I can't really move many apps over and can't change the default install location without root, so i went ahead and did that, and i did notice that only a portion of the app moves over to the SD card, I don't understand what's so hard about moving the entire app to the SD card considering that its mounted as a part of the phones memory resources. I have an 8GB card and I was hoping i could utilize it a little bit more than I did on my rumor touch.

Phones
    HTC One S
    Google Nexus 4
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have this problem on the Intercept. Everytime I get the low memory warning, I uninstall an app or else it will reject incoming text messages. After I uninstall an app and create more free space, it just seems to disappear again after awhile. I'm not sure what's using up all the available free space.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed application cache can take upward to 5-8mb combined if not cleared regularly. Clearing cache can save some valuable space, but if left unintended then it is only a temporary solution.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I did a total wipe and reinstall this morning on my V because of various issues. I noted that the space listed for app installs on the phone was 160Mb to begin with, and 15-20Mb of that is reserved for updates, etc. I also noted that the amount of memory saved when moving apps to the card varied between 30 and 70% depending on the app, of those that could be moved at all.

Google is telling developers that if you have any widgets with your app, you shouldn't make it movable. That's what's killing the available memory on these low-end phones, and what makes all this talk about RAM largely irrelevant about Android. What matters most is the total amount of memory available to load applications.

The Optimus V is 160Mb (minus the reserve). I was in a T-Mobile store today looking at higher end phones and the amount of space available to load apps...the MyTouch 4G was 1.03Gb, the G2 1.20Gb, and the Samsung Vibrant 1.73Gb. That's the real difference between phones like the V and higher end phones...you have 10-15x the usable space to load apps, which is huge. 12Mb for Google Maps on a G2 is a yawn, on a V it's a huge deal. The V does a great job of running apps for a low-end phone...but you can't load much on there compared to higher-end devices.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You haven't seen the free space on the Intercept then... I thought we were getting a break when the Optimus rolled in. And yes, I suppose Google is trying to control things but there are a few misfits, such as a 2MB Honeycomb Clock variant that could be moved to the SD card... and thus rendered entirely useless.

I noticed another rogue app on the Marketplace a little while ago that loaded any app to the SD card, which seemed kinda clever... although I swear I posted about it somewhere else just earlier today... >.> It was for rooted phones only, though, and from what I hear it would screw up a few apps for whatever reason.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    You haven't seen the free space on the Intercept then... I thought we were getting a break when the Optimus rolled in. And yes, I suppose Google is trying to control things but there are a few misfits, such as a 2MB Honeycomb Clock variant that could be moved to the SD card... and thus rendered entirely useless.

I noticed another rogue app on the Marketplace a little while ago that loaded any app to the SD card, which seemed kinda clever... although I swear I posted about it somewhere else just earlier today... >.> It was for rooted phones only, though, and from what I hear it would screw up a few apps for whatever reason.
    Actually I did have an Intercept I just recently got rid of...and it started with around 140Mb...not much worse...it just only had 256 total for everything..that's why it chokes so badly when you get it loaded up and want it to multitask with only one processor besides.

There is an app 2 SD out there for rooted phones that will move just about anything...but I haven't rooted...yet...and the more I know...the more likely I am to get a phone with 4G and more app memory...thank heaven for 90 days returns at Target.

Feedback Score
    I've used Titanium Backup after rooting to move apps to the SD card that normally wouldn't be able to move, works great.