Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gmail required for android?

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Gmail required for android?

Do all android phones require a gmail account? I don't want another email account to keep track of and I don't want the phone beeping at me every 5 minutes that I have a new email. What I was told by a store rep is they have to create you a new gmail account.

If I really have to use email, I would rather just log into my email when I need it, but I have so much trouble using the little keyboard that I don't use it. In other words I don't really want email on the phone if I can help it, I got a netbook and that works much better. I'd really like to know how this works before I get into it because I really don't want them setting up a new email for me.

I've had a WM phone for a long time and they sync with outlook but they don't require outlook to activate, so it seems stupid an Android would require gmail to activate. If it is the case, could I delete the gmail account as soon as I walk out the store? Also, if these things sync to facebook, I would want to be careful not to access facebook with it.

It's not that I really want a droid, but I'm not paying $200 for an iPhone and they don't seem to want to sell me a Blackberry.

Feedback Score
    Gmail email is not required. You need google account to access app market. If you create gmail account, you can choose not to sync email, calendar, contacts and/or photo album and use the id just for app market
    You can use any other pop or imap email account for email.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    WIND . :::TELUS

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Like he said but but hopefully clearer: it is required to start/activate, so you have to set one up; but you don't have to use it, you don't have to sync, you can use any other email acct instead for your email. It is very useful as a backup for your contacts if nothing else if you wish to sync. But in general, use is not required to use the phone and you can use most any alternative you wish. I don't know if you can delete the gmail account as soon as you walk out the store; I don't see any reason to if it doesn't do anything. You can disable any sync, eg facebook, or just not set up an account, don't login.

And buy whatever phone you want, Blackberry or no. Are the blackberry plans more expensive? Do you have to set up a Blackberry account? Probably the same with all of them.

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    Droid2 (spouse)
    OG Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    As you use your android phone, you may find that you really like the way gmail integrates with all the other apps. Don't turn your back on it without giving it a shot. I have created filters in my gmail account so that the only email that goes to my inbox (and those are the only emails that beep my phone) are from friends. The rest (buisness related, people I try to ignore) go to folders which I see new emails when I view my gmail via the web. Your gmail contacts become phone contacts, and you can update them a lot easier on your computer than on your phone. You can put in a lot of information for each contact (address, multiple phone numbers, birthdays and anniversaries, etc.) and it's right there on your phone. If you use Picasa on your computer for sorting pictures, you can easily associate a face with a name in your phone. If you use your android phone as a GPS, you can easily go to your contact's address as a destination. The many ways that your Google account links your information together is fascinating. It's worth trying it with an open mind.
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I didn't say it correctly, I have a couple gmail account and don't want another one. From what the guy told me I have to give him my username and password and he sets it up for me, but he said the store was very busy and he only has time to try it once, then he just creates the customer a new gmail account. What I was getting at is if they go screwing stuff up for me, I want to know that I can delete the account they created and replace it with one I already have. Also if possible I want to check email manually and not have it pushed to the phone or trying to download every 5 minutes. I never post anything to facebook I just have it because I have several RL friends who get mad when I call them and ask what they've been up to because they just posted it to facebook or tweeted about it.

What I never noticed, my street is misspelled on my account and bill. The rep asked to see a photo ID, then said he couldn't help because my address on my driver's license didn't match what was in their system.. He said I would need to go home, get my latest bill and bring it back. What's worse, my SS# didn't match what was on the account, no idea how that could be but he said I needed to bring in my SS card too. I don't think it's ever came up before.

Would it be better if I went someplace like walmart where they have more time? Most of the time I see the guys just sitting in their yapping to each other. I think they have the incredible there for $48. Better than paying $200 for an iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Like he said but but hopefully clearer: it is required to start/activate, so you have to set one up; but you don't have to use it, you don't have to sync, you can use any other email acct instead for your email. It is very useful as a backup for your contacts if nothing else if you wish to sync. But in general, use is not required to use the phone and you can use most any alternative you wish. I don't know if you can delete the gmail account as soon as you walk out the store; I don't see any reason to if it doesn't do anything. You can disable any sync, eg facebook, or just not set up an account, don't login.

And buy whatever phone you want, Blackberry or no. Are the blackberry plans more expensive? Do you have to set up a Blackberry account? Probably the same with all of them.
    Everyone above is right except for a little known fact that there is a touch sequence as described here to by pass setting up an account. Instructions can be found here at Android Central.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, the guy sounds like a joke. You may be better off between here, the Verizon website, talking to people you know, or another store or employee. Shopping at a slack time might help, too.

Sounds like way too much hassle doing anything with that guy. There are a lot of Verizon employees here who may be able to give more and better information. I don't know what your time frame is, but hopefully you are not in a big, big, hurry. You can learn a lot here, from phonearena.com; etc. Here's user manual links for Incredible, Droid X and HTC Vortex. That would make you much more educated in your purchase.

http://support.vzw.com/swf/droid_inc...simulator.html

http://supportsearch.vzw.com/?q=moto...tor&do=support

http://supportsearch.vzw.com/?q=vort...tor&do=support

I would learn as much as possible until you are satisfied, do some hands-on to see which phones you like and/or are satisfactory then buy a phone. The web is a lot easier and it is not hard to set up yourself at home. After reading the manuals beforehand, you will already know what to do. For the employee to say he just creates a new account is dumb. Of course you want to use an existing account (I would think). And it doesn't make sense to give anyone your password. You can create, delete, etc accounts, but no need. The only distinction I make in email accounts is that I use one for junk email and another for "real" contacts. That one is permanent and used for my phone. Yes, you can check email whenever you want; either manually or automatic syncs at various intervals. If you want to use facebook, of course you can-you set it up on the phone by logging in--or not. Sync when you want.

As far as your account info, either the Verizon employees here can help more or you can set up your account on MyVerizon if you haven't already. That's very handy. As far as I know, you can update all of your account info there--certainly your address. Don't know about SSN. I wouldn't worry about it??? The guy at the store probably has to follow procedure, so it's easier to do as much as you can yourself.

Definitely use whoever has time for you. I wouldn't expect much help or knowledge from WalMart, though, no offense.
    Last edited by Steveanderson13; 02-19-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jraskal View Post
    Everyone above is right except for a little known fact that there is a touch sequence as described here to by pass setting up an account. Instructions can be found here at Android Central.
    Thanks--that is not relevant here today, though. And he does want to use the phone as his own.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster View Post
    As you use your android phone, you may find that you really like the way gmail integrates with all the other apps. Don't turn your back on it without giving it a shot. I have created filters in my gmail account so that the only email that goes to my inbox (and those are the only emails that beep my phone) are from friends. The rest (buisness related, people I try to ignore) go to folders which I see new emails when I view my gmail via the web. Your gmail contacts become phone contacts, and you can update them a lot easier on your computer than on your phone. You can put in a lot of information for each contact (address, multiple phone numbers, birthdays and anniversaries, etc.) and it's right there on your phone. If you use Picasa on your computer for sorting pictures, you can easily associate a face with a name in your phone. If you use your android phone as a GPS, you can easily go to your contact's address as a destination. The many ways that your Google account links your information together is fascinating. It's worth trying it with an open mind.
    This is very helpful stuff that I didn't know. Thanks a lot.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prgls163 View Post
    Maybe I didn't say it correctly, I have a couple gmail account and don't want another one. From what the guy told me I have to give him my username and password and he sets it up for me, but he said the store was very busy and he only has time to try it once, then he just creates the customer a new gmail account. What I was getting at is if they go screwing stuff up for me, I want to know that I can delete the account they created and replace it with one I already have. Also if possible I want to check email manually and not have it pushed to the phone or trying to download every 5 minutes. I never post anything to facebook I just have it because I have several RL friends who get mad when I call them and ask what they've been up to because they just posted it to facebook or tweeted about it.

What I never noticed, my street is misspelled on my account and bill. The rep asked to see a photo ID, then said he couldn't help because my address on my driver's license didn't match what was in their system.. He said I would need to go home, get my latest bill and bring it back. What's worse, my SS# didn't match what was on the account, no idea how that could be but he said I needed to bring in my SS card too. I don't think it's ever came up before.

Would it be better if I went someplace like walmart where they have more time? Most of the time I see the guys just sitting in their yapping to each other. I think they have the incredible there for $48. Better than paying $200 for an iPhone.
    You were dealing with a lousy rep.
    Go to www.verizonwirelesssurvey.com and tell your experience and give low numbers. You should get a call and apology from their boss by doing so AND resolution to your problem.
    Also if you go Android , get a slider keypad app . I can't use tiny buttons (virtual or real) either and since going slide I use my email and post on forums, etc with ease.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Feedback Score
    I don't even know why reps set this stuff up. I know Verizon wants us to but it's a pain in the *** for both us as the employees and the customers. I just skip the login section when I activate phones for the customer. I skip everything until it gets to the point where it functions. Then I move their pictures and contacts and give them a quick lesson. I let them know they'll need a Google account and the first time they go to the Market it'll have them either sign in to one or create one. It isn't my job to spend hours with a customer trying to remember their login information or figure out what they want to make a new account and all the password complexity requirements and backup email addresses and security questions. No way... that's their job. That's all we'd do all day if we did that with every customer. Plus as this guy said it just complicates things when customers would rather do it themselves because they know what they already have or what they want.

Phones
    iphone 3gs
    rim 7750
    Nokia 3650 OLD
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    I don't even know why reps set this stuff up. I know Verizon wants us to but it's a pain in the *** for both us as the employees and the customers. I just skip the login section when I activate phones for the customer. I skip everything until it gets to the point where it functions. Then I move their pictures and contacts and give them a quick lesson. I let them know they'll need a Google account and the first time they go to the Market it'll have them either sign in to one or create one. It isn't my job to spend hours with a customer trying to remember their login information or figure out what they want to make a new account and all the password complexity requirements and backup email addresses and security questions. No way... that's their job. That's all we'd do all day if we did that with every customer. Plus as this guy said it just complicates things when customers would rather do it themselves because they know what they already have or what they want.
    Send them my way i started a business on lazy *** reps who dont want to train or show customers how to setup and use their phone and **** ****s from Walmart and best buy who do a real **** job of helping customer.

Phones
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    LG XV8560 (Chocolate3)
    [3G] Network Extender (VZW femtocell) SWEET!
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    Seems like I sense a little hostility, reading between the lines. But, I will admit that I agree with you. It's pretty hard to help someone log into their account if they don't know their username and password. I'm in IT and I know that is very common. I also think it'd be best to let the customer do that part himself.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Seems like I sense a little hostility, reading between the lines. But, I will admit that I agree with you. It's pretty hard to help someone log into their account if they don't know their username and password. I'm in IT and I know that is very common. I also think it'd be best to let the customer do that part himself.

-Frank
    Exactly Frank. And to the person above we have awesome customer service at our store. We give everyone a lesson on Android and explain everything to them. Our customers love us. This is just one step I think needs to be done by the customer.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone had any problems ordering online? I've had a couple bad experiences so I'm a little uneasy about it, also if it's sent "signature required" nobody is ever home during the day and a couple of times I had to make an emergency trip to the distrubution center which is 35 miles from here. FedEx is a total pain, they will attempt to deliver 3 times, then you only have a few days to run to them and pick it up.

In a way, I feel more comfortable buying it in a store, but just because you can deal with a person pay for it and pick it up. It would be perfect if you had the option of buying a device in a store and activating it yourself. I activated several prepaid myself and I did a couple ESN swaps, no problem. Couldn't they have several self-service activation stations and the rep helps if you need assistance. Most of the time you could just put the phone's ESN in the computer, accept the terms, do the *228 and you're out the door.

I know I got off on the wrong foot with the rep. This store is said to be the 3rd busiest place in town and there is always at least a 30 minute wait. Instead of a greeter at the door, they have a computer you have to sign in on and indicate what you want and I know I signed in. After waiting almost 30 minutes a rep asked if he could help me then told me I needed to sign in, I wasn't signed in. I told him I know I was and he pointed to a big screen with the names on it and my name wasn't there, so I had to sign in behind a bunch of people who came in after me, so by the time it was my turn I had been in the store for an hour and a half, then I get the same rep and he acts like he can only give me a couple of minutes then he has to move on to the next customer. I was really there to pick up a booster for work and when I asked about a phone he said I needed to hurry up because he had other customers. I told him I thought he could give me a few minutes since I've been waiting well over an hour, then he said, "you can't just come in here acting like you own the place, jam ahead of the other customers then lie about being signed in and expect to get away with it." After that, I get the feeling he was just trying to push me out of the store.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast