Thread: They figured out how to disable 4G/LTE on Indulge

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    LG Esteem [sold]
    Carrier
    Take a wild guess
    Feedback Score

They figured out how to disable 4G/LTE on Indulge

They did it again over there on the other forum. Again, this is yet another feature that they have managed to get into without being rooted (they still haven't rooted the phone yet). 4G mode can be disabled/enabled by simply using an app called Any Cut.

It turns out that Metro/Samsung has a ton of stuff that can actually be enabled on the phone but it's simply hidden from any of the phone's settings menus...but easily accessible to/manipulated by apps.

This should save a ton of battery life when not using the phone for web/data. I'll probably buy the phone now despite that I am a little disappointed by it. Still gonna wait till after rebate though
    Last edited by MetroPieceofShi; 02-24-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: provided name of app..see steps below on how to disable LTE

Phone
    LG Optimus M
    Carrier
    metroPCS
    Feedback Score
    its only temporary though, almost like a task killer

Phones
    LG Esteem
    LG Optimus M Wifey's Phone
    Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    cool what forum has the info and the app name to turn 4g off and on

also i agree with metropiece i found that if you download hotspot toggle it will turn your hotspot on and off and you can connect your computer by wifi to your phone but it is wpa2 encrypted and were working on trying to break that encryption

Phones
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    all credit goes to Nickrussel and Silvist over at AndroidForums they found this out.

First download the app Any Cut.
    When on your home screen click menu, then click add, then click shortcut.
    choose any cut.
    then choose activity.
    Scroll down to LTE Functionality test. and click on it.
    it will then be placed on your home screen.
    click it you will notice at the top the two options.
    Lte On and Lte Off there you go.

I tried this and so far works perfectly when i turn lte off its off and it stays off
    when i turn it on its on of course if you go out of 4g coverage it will auto switch to 1x

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Maybe it's just me, but if this is the case, why buy the Indulge?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    LG Esteem [sold]
    Carrier
    Take a wild guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baysiderider View Post
    Scroll down to LTE Functionality test. and click on it.
    it will then be placed on your home screen.
    click it you will notice at the top the two options.
    Lte On and Lte Off there you go.

I tried this and so far works perfectly when i turn lte off its off and it stays off
    when i turn it on its on of course if you go out of 4g coverage it will auto switch to 1x
    According to them this app only turns it off temporarily, and the phone still manages to search for and place itself back into 4G mode a little bit after you disable it. So this means if you want it off you have to keep fighting with the phone to disable it cause some other app or setting on the phone keeps searching for 4G and enabling it once it detects it. They're still trying to figure out how to disable that...which is pretty challenging to accomplish when the programs can't get root access.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonis View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if this is the case, why buy the Indulge?
    The search process/app that constantly looks for 4G is what really kills the battery. If you could have the option of disabling the search and only enable 4G when you want to web browse/transfer data instead of having it on all the time even while it's just sitting there on your desk/pocket doing nothing, you might be able to get a full day out of the insufficient 1500mah battery.

Phone
    LG Connect
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    So for argument sake, lets say you can disable 4G completely...if you get an email in your inbox you won't know it unless you decided to turn 4G back on. Yeah, I still don't see where this would be a good thing. I guess if you're not going to use data often then you can do this, but then again if you don't use data often I go back to my question, why get the Indulge.

Eh, to each his own.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonis View Post
    So for argument sake, lets say you can disable 4G completely...if you get an email in your inbox you won't know it unless you decided to turn 4G back on. Yeah, I still don't see where this would be a good thing. I guess if you're not going to use data often then you can do this, but then again if you don't use data often I go back to my question, why get the Indulge.

Eh, to each his own.

nope because you can still use data via 1x. However, when your not using your phone you would turn off lte, so that its not constantly searching and switching back and forth while idle looking for service killing the battery, and then when your gonna do some that requires faster speed (web browsing, app downloads, etc.) you would re enable it.

Phones
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroPieceofShi View Post
    According to them this app only turns it off temporarily, and the phone still manages to search for and place itself back into 4G mode a little bit after you disable it. So this means if you want it off you have to keep fighting with the phone to disable it cause some other app or setting on the phone keeps searching for 4G and enabling it once it detects it. They're still trying to figure out how to disable that...which is pretty challenging to accomplish when the programs can't get root access.
    i have tested this for a good five hours now and it has not once forced back on 4g and i have not noticed any program searching for the 4g coverage either and me and my friend both have it running on our indulge's and same goes for his.

how it appears to be working is if you are in a 4g market and your phone is in 4g coverage and you turn lte off it will stay off.

but if your in a iffy market and your going in and out of 4g and you turn the 4g off while it happens to be in 1x yes it will come back on into 4g.

i was at the bowling alley and it was going from 4g to 1x so i just turned lte off while it was in that 1x state and yes it did go back into 4g but i simply turned it off again once it was in 4g and it has not come back on yet.

i also did read over at android forums that he stated he was going to try it in a full 4g market which kinda makes it sound like he was in a iffy market and he could have turned it off while it was slipping into 1x.

Im going to leave lte off and the phone in the 1x state all night and i will report in the morning if it ever switched back to 4g or if it stays in that 1x state but i believe i got it figured out though im pretty sure it will stay in that 1x state

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    LG Esteem [sold]
    Carrier
    Take a wild guess
    Feedback Score
    i have tested this for a good five hours now and it has not once forced back on 4g and i have not noticed any program searching for the 4g coverage either and me and my friend both have it running on our indulge's and same goes for his.

how it appears to be working is if you are in a 4g market and your phone is in 4g coverage and you turn lte off it will stay off.

but if your in a iffy market and your going in and out of 4g and you turn the 4g off while it happens to be in 1x yes it will come back on into 4g.

i was at the bowling alley and it was going from 4g to 1x so i just turned lte off while it was in that 1x state and yes it did go back into 4g but i simply turned it off again once it was in 4g and it has not come back on yet.

i also did read over at android forums that he stated he was going to try it in a full 4g market which kinda makes it sound like he was in a iffy market and he could have turned it off while it was slipping into 1x.

Im going to leave lte off and the phone in the 1x state all night and i will report in the morning if it ever switched back to 4g or if it stays in that 1x state but i believe i got it figured out though im pretty sure it will stay in that 1x state
    I see. So if you live in an area where the LTE signal is strong, this app can keep 4G mode completely disabled until you want to turn it back on. Nice. Can you also comment on how keeping it disabled has affected your battery life?

Phones
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    I see. So if you live in an area where the LTE signal is strong, this app can keep 4G mode completely disabled until you want to turn it back on. Nice. Can you also comment on how keeping it disabled has affected your battery life?
    Ok im back up this morning first i will answer metroPieceofshi

it does not have to be a strong 4g market it can be a market where you go in and out of 4g what it is, is this when you switch 4g lte off at that current moment that your turning it off it does have to be in a strong 4g signal with the 4g icon displayed on your phone it can not be flickering between 1x and 4g you want to make sure 4g is displayed when you turn off

and on keeping it disabled to save battery power i will be testing that today and i will return this evening with that iinfo as well.

and to answer what i put up last night before i went to bed

I turned 4g off and when i woke up this morning it was on 1x still and i do have auto sync on so my data on multiple apps are connecting and yes you still have all your data synced on 1x and everything is still pushed to your phone

***UPDATE***

Also i found out that when you turn 4g off it will stay off but if you receive a phone call it turns the 4g/1x radio's off and when you hang up that phone call and it turns the radio's back on it will sit in 1x for a few seconds and then turn the 4g on automatically so you do have to go back in and turn 4g off after a phone call
    Last edited by baysiderider; 02-24-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    LG Esteem [sold]
    Carrier
    Take a wild guess
    Feedback Score
    Also i found out that when you turn 4g off it will stay off but if you receive a phone call it turns the 4g/1x radio's off and when you hang up that phone call and it turns the radio's back on it will sit in 1x for a few seconds and then turn the 4g on automatically so you do have to go back in and turn 4g off after a phone call
    Damn so RJ is right and it really does switch itself back on after certain events. It's definitely inconvenient to have to turn it off after each phone call...or turn it back on/off before/after you do data transfer/web browsing...probably more annoying than just carrying around a second battery. I could probably live with it though...but it would be nice if a larger battery were available

Phones
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Damn so RJ is right and it really does switch itself back on after certain events. It's definitely inconvenient to have to turn it off after each phone call...or turn it back on/off before/after you do data transfer/web browsing...probably more annoying than just carrying around a second battery. I could probably live with it though...but it would be nice if a larger battery were available
    Correct so far i have discovered that making or receiving a phone call will turn 4g back on but thats the only event i found this far that does that.

the other reason 4g comes back on so far appears to be owner error you just got to make sure your in 4g coverage when you turn lte off

it really isint a bother to me i just made the shortcut on my home screen and click it then click lte off and bam it goes off and still staying off

i think people have not tested this extensively yet to realize this

also when texting it does not affect the 4g off/on state it stays where you have it set and when browsing the net on 1x it stays in 1x also

Phones
    Lg steem is coming...
    htc touch pro
    nook color rooted 1.3 ghz
    Carrier
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Now let us now how this affect the battery life, i'm waiting on the fence and ready to buy one if someone find a way to root/find a way to improve battery life

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant001 View Post
    nope because you can still use data via 1x. However, when your not using your phone you would turn off lte, so that its not constantly searching and switching back and forth while idle looking for service killing the battery, and then when your gonna do some that requires faster speed (web browsing, app downloads, etc.) you would re enable it.
    so wouldn't it be like hella slow downloading that email of question in turn probably burning as much battery as using the 4g?
    HITMAN OF THE METRO MAFIA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast