Thread: Who does US Cellular use for roaming towers?

Phones
    HTC Merge
    MotoRazr V3m (former)
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Who does US Cellular use for roaming towers?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about switching over to US Cellular, but the catch is I travel to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan several times a year to see family, so I'd really like to make sure that I can use my phone up there and in North Eastern WI. The only carriers that have actual stores up there and an established network are AT&T and Verizon. Looking at US Cellular's coverage map, it looks like they have a similar map to Version.

Can anyone tell me if they use Verizon for out of network towers on their National Plans?

If it's Verizon then I'd have no problem with joining US Cellular since I'm familiar with that network. Verizon completely destroyed the GREAT service I had with Alltel so continuing to use them is kind of sleeping with the enemy in my book.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III 16 GB White
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes they have signed a 3g tower agreement with Verizon for roaming so you should be set. Just to double check you can use the coverage map on uscc.com and enter the zip code.

Carrier
    USCC / Wisconsin
    Feedback Score
    USCC roams on VZW everywhere except Chicago, where it roams on Sprint first. Up north coverage is good. I don't know if 3g roaming works up north though.

Phones
    Galaxy Note III (mine)
    Galaxy SIII (Wife)
    Galaxy S4 (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (just ported)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblazer View Post
    USCC roams on VZW everywhere except Chicago, where it roams on Sprint first. Up north coverage is good. I don't know if 3g roaming works up north though.
    I can attest that when you are in the U.P., data coverage is spotty and it will drop down to 1X speeds and not EVDO.

Phone
    Samsung Mesmerize
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WI4Fan View Post
    I can attest that when you are in the U.P., data coverage is spotty and it will drop down to 1X speeds and not EVDO.
    Confirmed. 1X and very spotty, even on main roads.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Carrier
    U.S Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblazer View Post
    Are you 100% sure us cellular roams on Verizon everywhere? except Chicago.. Where did you get this information?

Thank you in advance

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritium_man View Post
    Are you 100% sure us cellular roams on Verizon everywhere? except Chicago.. Where did you get this information?

Thank you in advance
    You are quoting something from over a year ago. I think US Cellular mainly roams off Sprint now, unless Sprint doesn't have coverage in that area, then they use Verizon.

Phone
    Blackberry 8530 Curve
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    They recently changed primary roaming carrier to Sprint at the end of 3rd quarter 2011. (Cheaper roaming rate) So if Sprint has coverage there it will be them otherwise Verizon.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crimpshrine View Post
    You are quoting something from over a year ago. I think US Cellular mainly roams off Sprint now, unless Sprint doesn't have coverage in that area, then they use Verizon.
    Which would be our area (Mendocino and Lake Counties, RSA 344 in NW CA), where VZ and USCC have service, but Sprint does not. In fact, they both roam in-market onto each other in dead spots, both 1X and EVDO.