Thread: My experience with disabling voicemail and google voice compatibility

Feedback Score

My experience with disabling voicemail and google voice compatibility

Last night I called support to disable voicemail, which the guy on the support line did very quickly. I wanted to get all my voicemails to go to Google Voice, which they sometimes did not. Anyway, here are the results:

First step in each case was to call the google voice number, which forwarded to my Virgin Mobile phone.
    Cases:
    1) Phone turned off: Rang through to Google Voice voicemail. Yay!
    2) Phone on, reject call: Hear Virgin Mobile's error message
    3) Phone on, silence ringer: Rings through to Google Voice voicemail. Hooray!

Notes: I think that disabling voicemail extended the ring cycle of the Virgin Mobile line.

Bottom line is that instead of dismissing the call, you should just mute the ringer.

Phone
    Moto Triumph
    Carrier
    VMUSA
    Feedback Score
    So what happens if someone calls your GV# (which forwards to your VM) and you just do not answer, as opposed to actively rejecting the call or silencing the ringer? Or is your 'reject call' simply not answering it?

I want to cancel my VM voicemail for the exact same reason.

Feedback Score
    I'm dosapointed there isn't more talk about this. I also called VM and turned off my voicemail so my Google Voice voicemail account. It works, but there's one big problem: If you are out of VM coverage area, then the phone only rings about 4 times (or less) and they get a message that this number's mail isn't active. Google Voice doesn't get a chance to answer. This is a huge downfall.

I called back and turned on voicemail through VM. Unless anyone else has figured out another solution....

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
    I'm dosapointed there isn't more talk about this. I also called VM and turned off my voicemail so my Google Voice voicemail account. It works, but there's one big problem: If you are out of VM coverage area, then the phone only rings about 4 times (or less) and they get a message that this number's mail isn't active. Google Voice doesn't get a chance to answer. This is a huge downfall.

I called back and turned on voicemail through VM. Unless anyone else has figured out another solution....
    Thanks HamDog for pointing this out. I was considering canceling my Virgin Mobile voicemail service as well, but now that I know what happens if it can't find your phone (or it's off) that sounds really bad.

My solution to this problem has been to leave a really LONG voicemail outgoing message on my Virgin Mobile phone number so that Google Voice has a lot more time to answer. In my case I have a 40 second recording of a Bach Tocata playing which generally means nobody bothers to listen until the very end (they assume it must be an endless hold-music recording) so I don't get voicemails on my Virgin phone number, and it's enough time for Google Voice to intercept it with my real voicemail message.

I've had this setup for the last 4 months and I so far every voicemail message has ended up in my Google Voice account.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand how that works. Once the virgin mobile voicemail kicks in, shouldn't google voice transfer to that number?

My solution is to turn on call presentation. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Philibuster View Post
    I don't understand how that works. Once the virgin mobile voicemail kicks in, shouldn't google voice transfer to that number?

My solution is to turn on call presentation. It's a bit of a hassle, but it works fine.
    I'm confused as well. I would think Google Voice won't answer if the Virgin Mobile voicemail answers first...no matter how long you make the outgoing message.

And what do you mean by call presentation? Is that a Google Voice feature or a Virgin Mobile feature?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
    I'm confused as well. I would think Google Voice won't answer if the Virgin Mobile voicemail answers first...no matter how long you make the outgoing message.

And what do you mean by call presentation? Is that a Google Voice feature or a Virgin Mobile feature?
    Call presentation is a Google Voice feature that plays a recording for you when you answer a call and let's you decide if you want to talk to the person or send them to voicemail. I leave that off.

Google Voice is smart enough to know the difference between the beginning of your Virgin Mobile's outgoing message and when an actual person has picked up the line. Effectively, if your outgoing message is very long, Google Voice thinks the phone is still "ringing" and nobody has picked up that line - it waits for a total of about 32-40 seconds before it stops listening. In the event your phone is out of the Virgin Mobile service area (or you're having bad reception or are on another call), if someone calls you then they will hear no rings and start hearing your voicemail outgoing recording immediately. If your Virgin Mobile voicemail recording doesn't last at least 40 seconds there is a good chance Google Voice will hear the "beep", and believe the call is connected to an actual person, who will then be forced to leave a message on your Virgin Mobile voicemail.

Exactly how they do this is unclear to me - I believe there is actually separate coding that is sent along with the sound that Google Voice gets which lets it know the difference between "call connecting" and "call connected", plus some combination of sound analysis. It appears that Google Voice considers the time spent listening to the actual voicemail recording to be part of the "connecting" state and not the "connected" state.

Google Voice actually has this as a hint in their help area, although they don't explicitly say that you should lengthen your outgoing recording, most everyone in the Google Voice forums claims that's what this means.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/...&answer=115110

When I had the standard Virgin Mobile system-generated greeting, my callers would get connected to my Virgin voicemail whenever my phone was off or out of the service area, and to my Google Voice when my phone was on and could ring. Ever since I changed my Virgin Mobile voicemail outgoing message to that long 45 second sound, that's never happened. Hope this helps!

Phone
    Moto Triumph
    Carrier
    VMUSA
    Feedback Score
    I'll give that a try, oatflake. Hopefully it works for me like it has for you. Still doesn't make sense to me but that's not important if it works!

Thanks.

Phone
    LG Optimus F6 (Unlocked, Rooted, & De-bloated)
    Carrier
    Ptel, Lyca, AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oatflake View Post
    Call presentation is a Google Voice feature that plays a recording for you when you answer a call and let's you decide if you want to talk to the person or send them to voicemail. I leave that off.

Google Voice is smart enough to know the difference between the beginning of your Virgin Mobile's outgoing message and when an actual person has picked up the line. Effectively, if your outgoing message is very long, Google Voice thinks the phone is still "ringing" and nobody has picked up that line - it waits for a total of about 32-40 seconds before it stops listening. In the event your phone is out of the Virgin Mobile service area (or you're having bad reception or are on another call), if someone calls you then they will hear no rings and start hearing your voicemail outgoing recording immediately. If your Virgin Mobile voicemail recording doesn't last at least 40 seconds there is a good chance Google Voice will hear the "beep", and believe the call is connected to an actual person, who will then be forced to leave a message on your Virgin Mobile voicemail.

Exactly how they do this is unclear to me - I believe there is actually separate coding that is sent along with the sound that Google Voice gets which lets it know the difference between "call connecting" and "call connected", plus some combination of sound analysis. It appears that Google Voice considers the time spent listening to the actual voicemail recording to be part of the "connecting" state and not the "connected" state.

Google Voice actually has this as a hint in their help area, although they don't explicitly say that you should lengthen your outgoing recording, most everyone in the Google Voice forums claims that's what this means.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/...&answer=115110

When I had the standard Virgin Mobile system-generated greeting, my callers would get connected to my Virgin voicemail whenever my phone was off or out of the service area, and to my Google Voice when my phone was on and could ring. Ever since I changed my Virgin Mobile voicemail outgoing message to that long 45 second sound, that's never happened. Hope this helps!
    This worked great for me, thanks! (The google support link is broken)

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Great tip! (About the lengthy VM message). Thanks!

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums
    GS3 T999 on T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
    Great tip! (About the lengthy VM message). Thanks!

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums
    This tip didn't work for me, and I am thoroughly in the dark about how it ever could have. I tried with several different long outgoing messages, even one which was totally silent, and in testing, I was always sent to Virgin's VM to hear my very long outgoing message.

For those of you who have done this - and this is with all due respect - have you actually tested it, and from multiple phones (land line, cellular, VOIP, etc.)?

If your assumptions that it's working are based on the fact that no one is leaving messages on the Virgin VM system, maybe it is because no one wants to wait through the outgoing message, rather than because they were really routed to Google's VM.

I know this thread is several months old, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious. I really want this to work.

Thanks, everyone.

[Edit] It occurs to me that this tip will work if you have call screening turned on, but I've got it turned off. Ya know, maybe that's the difference...

Phone
    LG Optimus F6 (Unlocked, Rooted, & De-bloated)
    Carrier
    Ptel, Lyca, AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steeevorino View Post
    This tip didn't work for me, and I am thoroughly in the dark about how it ever could have. I tried with several different long outgoing messages, even one which was totally silent, and in testing, I was always sent to Virgin's VM to hear my very long outgoing message.

For those of you who have done this - and this is with all due respect - have you actually tested it, and from multiple phones (land line, cellular, VOIP, etc.)?

If your assumptions that it's working are based on the fact that no one is leaving messages on the Virgin VM system, maybe it is because no one wants to wait through the outgoing message, rather than because they were really routed to Google's VM.

I know this thread is several months old, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious. I really want this to work.

Thanks, everyone.

[Edit] It occurs to me that this tip will work if you have call screening turned on, but I've got it turned off. Ya know, maybe that's the difference...
    I've been using this when I was on VM, and now on TMobile Prepaid. I have a 45-second music as outgoing message. Just tested it again, dialing my GV number from my office, after about 5 rings, it goes to my GV voicemail instead of Tmobile's VM. I have GV call screening off too. Occasionally someone gets through to my carrier's VM, but that's rare, most of the time GV's VM picks it up.