Thread: Really bizarre problem with Straight Talk Phones, need help please.

Feedback Score

Exclamation Really bizarre problem with Straight Talk Phones, need help please.

I have multiple problems. I bought three phones from the ST website. Two of them are refurbished Samsung T401G's and the other is a refurbished LG 290C. My online account shows all three phones. All are activated and can be used. However, the LG and the Samsungs are sitting in front of me as I type this. The Samsungs have NO bars and I cannot use them unless I walk outside and the service is sketchy even then. The LG, on the other hand, has 5 bars of super signal. Dialing *22890 on the LG gets me to OTA programming from Straight Talk. Dialing that same number on the Samsungs get me Alltel wireless customer support. My online account shows both Samsungs as having an OTA Pending status. Following the prompts ends with a message telling me to call customer service. I did that. They are of no help. My remaining airtime is not displayed on the samsungs nor is it announced at any time. And finally, The Samsungs have a different phone number on the phone itself than what is displayed on my account page. Also, the samsungs have the same prefix while the LG is completely different. What gives?..

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    First thing to tell you is that any ST phone model with the suffix "G" uses GSM technology and therefore uses AT&T's network or possibly tMobile's. Phones with the suffix "C" use CDMA technology which is Verizions network. It is highly likely you have good Verizion signal coverage and little or no AT&T coverage at your location, which would explain the difference in signal strength between the phones.

As for the other, no idea but if you want some US based customer support try Straightalk's Facebook Page for support.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola A1200R
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The Samsung T401G are GSM phones and the LG 290C is a CDMA phone. You must have a CDMA tower close to your house and the GSM tower is farther away. Hence having to go outside to get signal. GSM and CDMA are two totally different cellular technologies and are not compatible.
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Feedback Score
    Verizon's CDMA and AT&T/T-Mobile's GSM are like competing technologies. Similar to Sony's Blu-Ray and Toshiba's HD-DVDs formats. You cannot buy a HD-DVD player expecting it to play Blu-Rays! Therefore you cannot buy a Verizon phone and expect it to work on AT&T/T-Mobile's network!! The technologies are different! Hence the AT&T iPhone4 and the Verizon iPhone4 :-)

ST started off as a CDMA only but got wise and included GSM phones, hence the AT&T/T-Mobile coverage. You can tell which coverage the phone uses by ST's labeling of the phone. "C" means it uses Verizon's CDMA network. "G" means it's on AT&T/T-Mobile's GSM network. Therefore ST's LG 290C phone would work on Verizon's CDMA network and ST's Samsung's T401G would work on AT&T's GSM network.

And as everyone has been saying here, you must be in an area were Verizon's CDMA coverage is strong. I guess you're area is part of the 3% not covered by AT&T. Good thing Verizon is 100% coverage :-P

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Price View Post
    I have multiple problems. I bought three phones from the ST website. Two of them are refurbished Samsung T401G's and the other is a refurbished LG 290C. My online account shows all three phones. All are activated and can be used. However, the LG and the Samsungs are sitting in front of me as I type this. The Samsungs have NO bars and I cannot use them unless I walk outside and the service is sketchy even then. The LG, on the other hand, has 5 bars of super signal. Dialing *22890 on the LG gets me to OTA programming from Straight Talk. Dialing that same number on the Samsungs get me Alltel wireless customer support. My online account shows both Samsungs as having an OTA Pending status. Following the prompts ends with a message telling me to call customer service. I did that. They are of no help. My remaining airtime is not displayed on the samsungs nor is it announced at any time. And finally, The Samsungs have a different phone number on the phone itself than what is displayed on my account page. Also, the samsungs have the same prefix while the LG is completely different. What gives?..
    You will have to call Miami customer esculations at 800-876-5753 Mon. - Fri regular business hours. You said there are two phone numbers associated with each 401, which one rings the phone (my guess - your online account number)? Does everything work with the 401`s? Checking your provider on the 401`s: go into menu - prepaid -Sim S/N; first 6 digits of S/N AT&T = 890141, T-Mobile = 890126 (I believe Altell was taken over by AT&T) Put each 401`s number in at this site and without signing up it will tell you the phones provider after hitting submit, on the next page: https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    And as everyone has been saying here, you must be in an area were Verizon's CDMA coverage is strong. I guess you're area is part of the 3% not covered by AT&T. Good thing Verizon is 100% coverage :-P
    Verizon may say they have 100% coverage, but it isn't true - they have zero coverage where I am working & staying! I am paying for a verizon phone/plan that is completely useless to me (contract), unless I drive about 40 miles from here. Fortunately AT&T has a great signal here, so I was able to get a Straight Talk GSM phone. A bonus is that I've discovered that AT&T's data network is noticeably better than verizon's! I imagine that having a bunch of iphones on verizon's network won't help that any!

As for your issue Donna, have you tried driving anywhere with the phones to see if the signal is any different? That may help you determine whether it's just a low signal at your house, or some other issue with the phones, or their activation.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Finally! Someone who won't berate me for saying Verizon service is second rate *in my area.* You experience it too.

The hodgepodge, almost patchwork nature of their network implies that integrating a cohesive data network capable of handling the bandwidth required by iPhones and other smartphones is going to be difficult. Throw in its inability to support both voice and data simultaneously, and you have a half-***** excuse for service, compared to what people expect from the iPhone.

My prediction is that their network *and* their reputation will suffer greatly with the introduction of the CDMA iPhone. If I had the cash handy, I'd short their stock over the next month.