Thread: Anyone know of a GOOD Tmobile Android phone that works inside buildings like Target?

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anyone know of a GOOD Tmobile Android phone that works inside buildings like Target?

I work part time at Target and I am currently testing out the Mytouch 4g everywhere especially where I work. I get no service as I get further into the store past the registers. Is it just my phone or is it a general problem with others as well? Is there any phone that can penetrate buildings like Target, Walmart? I had the same issue with my iphone 2g. Let me clarify that I work at a Target in Raleigh, North Carolina but I used to work at a Target in New Jersey where I used my iphone 2g and a Tmobile Shadow (original one) and had good service inside the store. Is it a problem with Tmobile service generally? I was considering testing out a verizon android phone. I have no issues when I used a regular verizon prepaid flip phone. Thanks for your input.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's not the phone that does the penetrating, it's the type and strength of the radio waves being transmitted by the source tower. The radio receiver in the phone has a property called "sensitivity" that helps determine how well it captures the transmitted signal. It's kind of like people whose hearing is better than others. Some people choose to listen to a radio or TV at a certain volume; others in the same room can't make out words being said because they claim it isn't loud enough. Sort of the same with phones, or any radio receiver.

The fact that you mentioned your old Verizon phone brings up that most likely in that area, VZW (Verizon Wireless) uses 850 Mhz service, as opposed to their other option, service at 1900 Mhz (which is commonly referred to as the PCS band). 850 Mhz radio waves tend to penetrate structures better than 1900 Mhz waves. Even outdoors in the clear, one watt of transmitted 850 will "travel farther" than one watt of transmitted 1900. Thus all the conversations and hubbub about obtaining valuable radio spectrum for use with whichever company.

For coverage's sake, different strategies are used by a cell company depending on what type of signal they have to work with. Some companies have primarily only 1900 Mhz to work with (Sprint IIRC, T-Mobile), others have both (most of the others), but what is used in a given area depends on their individual licenses that they bought and paid for, usually in what's known as a spectrum auction.

This is in reference mainly to 2G signal. Some cell companies use even different frequencies for their 3G and newer generation services (some companies are obtaining the right to use 700 Mhz, for instance), and this will follow the same principles of radio as previously stated.

All that being said, yes, some phones of a given carrier and service type will outperform others. Some are just lucky in that they're designed with this or that part located in a certain area of the phone, like the antenna at the top instead of the bottom (where your hand often covers it), or even simple issues like quality control of parts or how they're tweaked before they leave the factory.

So it's essentially trial and error, personal experience reports, etc. You'd have to have all your buddies with different phones stand in the same place in the Target and give signal reports and see who gets the best signal. Some phones do have a reputation as being signal kings, but even that can vary between different samples.

Regarding your T-Mobile phone, it could be a combination of elements making your signal weak at that point in the store. First, they're likely using a 1900 Mhz signal (unless we're talking 3G); or the cell tower could be further away than the VZW one that hits the same store, thus making their signal weaker. You can't really put it in terms of, "is this a common problem with T-Mobile" kind of thing. There are the variables to consider.

Phones
    BB9700, wife S4, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Does Target have an internal wifi system that you can get the security code for? Newish Androids have sifi voice capability.
    I sometimes drop signal inside some stores.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Phones
    Motorola RAZR
    Mytouch 3G
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    In general terms, I've found the Mytouch 3G and the Mytouch 4G to have very good reception. I'm even able to get some Tmobile "4g" in my home office, which is not a great reception area.

If reception is your most important issue, you'll usually find that CDMA (Verizon, not Sprint) will be your best bet. Your reception may not be great, but you'll get it.

If a Tmo shadow worked in the store but a Mytouch 4G doesn't, there's something else going on. The Shadow did have great reception and voice quality, but IMO the Mytouch phones are easily their equal.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can try a phone with better reception like the DEFY but if the signal isn't there it won't matter. The Motorola phones on T-Mobile have better reception than the HTC phones. I've only ever lost service completely in one building in my city but my DEFY held on to the network for the longest.

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

The way you hold the phone can vastly affect the reception especially the antenna located at the bottom. Try not to cover that part.

Phones
    HTC Amaze 4G
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Motorola Defy
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    It just depends on how close a tower is to the store. It is not a general problem with any carrier. People say T-Mobile does not penetrate as good cause of the PCS freq. But Just as many buildings here don't work inside with Verizon as T-Mobile. Some that don't work on Verizon work on T-Mobile even though Verizon is 850 here. Also At&t has very good in building reception around here and they always have, but they are on 1900 here. So your problem is that T-Mobile just doesn't have a good tower location in your area for good reception in Target. Best you can do is try to keep your phone positioned so that the antenna is not covered, see if there is a wifi signal you can use, or get a different provider. But if your phone works everywhere else you like, I'd just put up with it. I would call T-Mobile though and let them know that service is bad in there. Maybe they could make an adjustment at the tower to improve reception, especially since they seem dedicated to improving coverage.
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For the record, I've always had service inside stores like Wal-Mart and Target with my G2. And I'm currently in an EDGE-only area.

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just to clarify I worked at two different targets. One in new jersey where I used my iPhone 2g and my tmobile shadow and than I moved to north carolina and I tried all phones mentioned ( iPhone 2g tmobile shadow mytouch 4g verizon flip phone ) and none get reception besides the verizon flip phone. I am trying the mytouch on 3G/4g and any service (voice). The phone goes without service anywhere in the target stores besides by the main entrance. I used to use my iPhone 2g in the target in new jersey in the one of the employee bathroom (back of the store) and get good service still. But in my current target it's dead anywhere but by the entrance. That being said I get it about tower location etc. I will find out about tower location etc. Thanks for everyones input. You are all very informative. I was just seeing if maybe it's worth looking into verizon as I have some friends n family members who have verizon n sprint phones (evo, pre etc) that get signal inside target and walmart here. I'll try out my mytouch some more. I have until next thursday to decide if I want to keep it or not. Thanks.

Sent from my Unknown iPod using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I don't think getting another T-Mobile phone is going to fix the reception issue. Just switch to Verizon or a VZ MVNO like Pageplus, if VZW does indeed work in the store.