Thread: Tracfones on Verizon Wireless Network

Feedback Score

Tracfones on Verizon Wireless Network

I'm thinking about switching to Tracfone but want to be on the CDMA Verizon Wireless network.

How can I tell which phone to buy so it's a CDMA rather than GSM/SIM card model. Or can I just specify CDMA service at sign-up?

The phones for my zip code all have G model numbers. On StraightTalk (my current company, that means GSM

Feedback Score
    You don't have to put up with the phones they show you for your zip code. They get a cheaper deal with GSM so that's all they show you. But since Verizon is in all probability available, just do this: In the address bar, when looking at the phones, change the market to CO instead of GSM5AT or whatever it is. That will show you the CDMA phones as if you had put in a CDMA-only zip code. It doesn't matter to Tracfone which phone you order. They do the zip code thing to steer people to the preferred ones, but if you have the inside scoop, you can get around this and get something more to your liking.

Getting Verizon instead of USCellular when you actually activate the phone is another matter. You might have to fight for this, as USC is cheaper for them because it doesn't include data services. But if you expect to use data, you will have to insist on Verizon. Tracfone is getting stubborn about this, because everybody is wanting Verizon so their phones will work properly and Verizon didn't give Tracfone enough phone numbers.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You don't have to put up with the phones they show you for your zip code. They get a cheaper deal with GSM so that's all they show you. But since Verizon is in all probability available, just do this: In the address bar, when looking at the phones, change the market to CO instead of GSM5AT or whatever it is. That will show you the CDMA phones as if you had put in a CDMA-only zip code. It doesn't matter to Tracfone which phone you order. They do the zip code thing to steer people to the preferred ones, but if you have the inside scoop, you can get around this and get something more to your liking.

Getting Verizon instead of USCellular when you actually activate the phone is another matter. You might have to fight for this, as USC is cheaper for them because it doesn't include data services. But if you expect to use data, you will have to insist on Verizon. Tracfone is getting stubborn about this, because everybody is wanting Verizon so their phones will work properly and Verizon didn't give Tracfone enough phone numbers.
    They cannot use that not enough Verizon phone number excuse if you port a number onto a new CDMA phone.

Feedback Score
    Find out the make & model of Tracfone CDMA phones, and use those eagle eyes to shop around locally OUTSIDE of the big box/big brand stores everyone uses. You never know how fast (or unfast) a store's phone selection moves. In a town where the Walmart and Dollar Generals are always stocked with the cheap GSM models, I know of a Super Dollar (Variety Wholesalers) that has some Kyocera 120Cs that don't look like they've ever moved.
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon

Feedback Score
    @chasham. Samsung r355c is a CDMA phone. I have seen it in Walmart and Best Buy. If I look on Net10 site for my area this phone is not listed. What is there are all gsm phones too. I think CDMA phones are being phased out. It looks like your local retail stores are probably the last places for a cdma phone. Without that choice it's "Welcome to Sim Card Hell."

Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    I'm thinking about switching to Tracfone but want to be on the CDMA Verizon Wireless network.

How can I tell which phone to buy so it's a CDMA rather than GSM/SIM card model. Or can I just specify CDMA service at sign-up?

The phones for my zip code all have G model numbers. On StraightTalk (my current company, that means GSM
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Feedback Score
    There is a method to the madness why Tracfone/Net10 doesn't want you to see the CDMA phones. It's not because they are being phased out. It's because their airtime contracts with Verizon are expensive. So you are steered to GSM service, and you think that is your only choice. That's where these message boards come in handy. Some parts of the country do not have GSM towers, and CDMA is the only game in town. Tracfone knows where these places are, and those zip codes will bring up only CDMA phones. True, there are fewer models than there are GSM models, but that is because Tracfone wants to limit them in order to save money. The phones are there for the taking. You just have to know how to bring up that page. Also, if you are ordering two phones, you cannot mix CDMA and GSM in the same cart.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Also, if you are ordering two phones, you cannot mix CDMA and GSM in the same cart.
    Ah, I did not know this, Thank You.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    <Also, if you are ordering two phones, you cannot mix CDMA and GSM in the same cart.>
    Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    Ah, I did not know this, Thank You.

I believe you can with Tracfone, but I have not actually tried it, if you are on the COGSM4 or COGSM5 market page because both types are offered together. Same applies to Straightalk.

Feedback Score
    It works -- I stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    There is a method to the madness why Tracfone/Net10 doesn't want you to see the CDMA phones. It's not because they are being phased out. It's because their airtime contracts with Verizon are expensive. So you are steered to GSM service, and you think that is your only choice. That's where these message boards come in handy. Some parts of the country do not have GSM towers, and CDMA is the only game in town. Tracfone knows where these places are, and those zip codes will bring up only CDMA phones. True, there are fewer models than there are GSM models, but that is because Tracfone wants to limit them in order to save money. The phones are there for the taking. You just have to know how to bring up that page. Also, if you are ordering two phones, you cannot mix CDMA and GSM in the same cart.
    Hi. I don't see where your talking about with the changing the market to CO from GSM5AT. I dont see anything that resembles GSM5AT anywhere on the page or address bar.
    Can you post a url to the CDMA phone page?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Hi. I don't see where your talking about with the changing the market to CO from GSM5AT. I dont see anything that resembles GSM5AT anywhere on the page or address bar.
    Can you post a url to the CDMA phone page?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    In the address bar where it says "view&market=" change that to view&market=CO instead of view&market=(whatever it was before).

Feedback Score
    how can you guys tell if your phone is Verizon, US Cellular, ATT or T mobile? Sim card?

I checked US Cellular coverage map and it says a partner provider provides coverage does this mean if I order a cdma phone it will be Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Put your phone number into www.wirelessamberalerts.org

You don't have to sign up.

With a GSM phone, you are beholden to the SIM. If there is a C4 on the SIM, it is AT&T. If there is a T5 on it, it is T-Mobile.

With a CDMA phone, you get whichever CDMA provider that Tracfone decides to dish out.

Kind of the same with SIMs. You get whichever one Tracfone decides to dish out.

If you are porting in, you have a better chance of getting Verizon because you are not asking for one of Tracfone's scarce Verizon numbers, as pointed out by another poster.