Thread: Virgin Mobile phone reception

Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile phone reception

My reception on my Rumor Touch is HORRIBLE. There are many buildings I can't get reception in, and I rarely find a basement that I can get reception in. Does anyone else experience these issues? Is it just Virgin Mobile?

I'm basically asking if bad reception is common for Virgin Mobile devices. I live in Chicago, so I would think it wouldn't be a place where reception should be weak. If I were to upgrade to the Optimus V, should expect to have better reception everywhere?

Thanks!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No. Rumor Touch, Intercept, and Optimus all have very similar reception. The 1900mhz EVDO band does not penetrate barriers as well as 800mhz 1X CDMA. You're also limited to Sprint towers, so you will often be at the fringes of coverage.

I do miss the amazing reception of my old Motorola E815... but I don't miss paying $50/month for 400 minutes.

Feedback Score
    That is disappointing... especially since it seems like I have zero bars half of my day. I might give a new phone a shot still though since my rumor touch has had a few dips in water. Thanks for the technical stuff though, that's what I wanted to get so I could know for sure.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I think one of the specs on the Optimus has it having dual antennae for better reception, can any of the other members clarify that spec?

Feedback Score
    Optimus V Dual band 800 and 1900 CDMA . However Sprint network is a 1900 only network.. They plan to begin rolling out 800 CDMA this year

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaco1 View Post
    Optimus V Dual band 800 and 1900 CDMA . However Sprint network is a 1900 only network.. They plan to begin rolling out 800 CDMA this year

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    Will VM get access to those 800 CDMA towers too? That would make Optimus even more awesome!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracid View Post
    Will VM get access to those 800 CDMA towers too? That would make Optimus even more awesome!
    My understanding coming from Verizon-land was that Verizon phones use 800mhz for voice and try to use 1900mhz EVDO for data when available. When out of an EVDO service area, the phone falls back to 800mhz 1x for data.

If Sprint PCS only uses 1900mhz for both voice and data, I would expect that the radio only talks in that band. That would mean the Sprint tower upgrades are more for their reciprocal roaming agreement with Verizon than anything else. Kind of makes sense since the modem files for the Sprint and VM Intercept Froyo upgrades are different.

Feedback Score
    My work at first floor built and always has bad reception on even on T-mobile, ATT and now VMobile. I get no bar on either on those carrier. My co-work at about 1 bar in Vz carrier. Just wonder is change to CDMA only or place an Antenna Booster will improve signal??

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    My understanding coming from Verizon-land was that Verizon phones use 800mhz for voice and try to use 1900mhz EVDO for data when available. When out of an EVDO service area, the phone falls back to 800mhz 1x for data.

If Sprint PCS only uses 1900mhz for both voice and data, I would expect that the radio only talks in that band. That would mean the Sprint tower upgrades are more for their reciprocal roaming agreement with Verizon than anything else. Kind of makes sense since the modem files for the Sprint and VM Intercept Froyo upgrades are different.
    Actually...in reading about this today...Sprint is moving their 800mhz iDen customers into the 800mhz CDMA band as they end iDen service...and are converting their 800mhz band to CDMA. iDen causes issues with the adjacent fire/police band at 700mhz CDMA does not. Sprint intends to kill iDen off entirely by 2014, per the latest reports. Whether they open VM to 800mhz is up to them, but I'd expect VM customers to be the last priority on Sprint's plate for that allocation.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TVCCS View Post
    Actually...in reading about this today...Sprint is moving their 800mhz iDen customers into the 800mhz CDMA band as they end iDen service...and are converting their 800mhz band to CDMA. iDen causes issues with the adjacent fire/police band at 700mhz CDMA does not. Sprint intends to kill iDen off entirely by 2014, per the latest reports. Whether they open VM to 800mhz is up to them, but I'd expect VM customers to be the last priority on Sprint's plate for that allocation.
    Haha, those poor saps coming from Boost/Nextel iDen service will be raving how fast their new 1x CDMA phones are

Meanwhile, VM users will be paying $10-20 extra per month for "4G" service that's capped at 5GB and barely breaks 700kbps on a good day.

Feedback Score
    I also experience the same dramatic drop in signal level when I'm indoors vesus just outside the building. The difference is night and day. That is what's keeping me from being fully satisfied with VM. I really enjoy the Optimus but the signal level degradation issue could be a dealbreaker.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, signal is very weak in my home with Verizon and Sprint (both 1900) and the tower is reasonably close (less than 1 mile), but even with one bar, the calls are clear. Data speeds are all over the place. Verizon is 100kbps to 1mbps down and 400kbps to 1mbps up. VM/Sprint is 40kbps to 600kbps down and up.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work