Thread: can i use my us cellular mesmerize as prepaid?

Feedback Score

can i use my us cellular mesmerize as prepaid?

Hi all,

I get a phone deal through my work, so I can buy a Samsung Mesmerize from US Cellular for $150, and will start with a regular monthly plan. But this summer my work may stop paying for cell phones, so I may want to go to a prepaid plan. Once I get the phone then it is mine.

I asked US Cellular if I could change my plan to prepaid and still use my Mesmerize, and they told me that I couldn't, because if I'm using prepaid then I have to buy the phone at retail (I think they said the Mesmerize is $599!!!).

But when I want to switch from a regular plan to prepaid couldn't I just buy their cheapest smartphone, and use their prepaid plan on my Mesmerize?

Or could I use my Mesmerize on another prepaid CDMA carrier (like Virgin Mobile)?

Or any other options I haven't thought of? (I'm pretty clueless about phones, so don't assume that I know anything ;o)

Much thanks. Ian

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S IV 16 GB Black
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ikellems View Post
    Hi all,

I get a phone deal through my work, so I can buy a Samsung Mesmerize from US Cellular for $150, and will start with a regular monthly plan. But this summer my work may stop paying for cell phones, so I may want to go to a prepaid plan. Once I get the phone then it is mine.

I asked US Cellular if I could change my plan to prepaid and still use my Mesmerize, and they told me that I couldn't, because if I'm using prepaid then I have to buy the phone at retail (I think they said the Mesmerize is $599!!!).

But when I want to switch from a regular plan to prepaid couldn't I just buy their cheapest smartphone, and use their prepaid plan on my Mesmerize?

Or could I use my Mesmerize on another prepaid CDMA carrier (like Virgin Mobile)?

Or any other options I haven't thought of? (I'm pretty clueless about phones, so don't assume that I know anything ;o)

Much thanks. Ian
    Maybe this has changed, but last I knew you can't use smartphones on prepaid at all...

Phones
    Galaxy S2
    Retired Mesmerise
    LG VX5600 Verizon Backup
    Carriers
    AT&T
    U.S.Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Mez for 150 dollars??????? Looks like your work is ripping you off!!!! You can get a Mez for 180 dollars and get the 80 dollars back in rebate so it would only be 100 dollars!. and if you make it a new line you get that 100 dollars credited on the bill so then it would be free
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Phones
    Galaxy Note III (mine)
    Galaxy SIII (Wife)
    Galaxy S4 (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (just ported)
    Feedback Score
    This is direct from the US Cellular site FAQ section:

Prepaid Wireless service works with any U.S. Cellular wireless phone except for BlackBerry® Smartphones, Windows® Phones, and AndroidTM-Powered Phones. Please check with your local U.S. Cellular store if you have a phone and are not sure if it is compatible.

Phone
    Motorola Electrify ICS
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WI4Fan View Post
    This is direct from the US Cellular site FAQ section:

Prepaid Wireless service works with any U.S. Cellular wireless phone except for BlackBerry® Smartphones, Windows® Phones, and AndroidTM-Powered Phones. Please check with your local U.S. Cellular store if you have a phone and are not sure if it is compatible.
    Or even better, the information in the USCC HoFo FAQ (maintained by Lance)