Thread: NokiaSiemens demos PTT over LTE: True successor to DC found?

Device(s)
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score

NokiaSiemens demos PTT over LTE: True successor to DC found?

Nokia Siemens Networks and Harris Corporation today announced the successful completion of what they call the world's first push-to-talk voice call over Long Term Evolution. The calls were made in and around the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport using Harris-made radios and two separate LTE towers. Harris and NSN were able to make multiple PTT calls over the LTE network while simultaneously streaming video and roaming between the two towers. The PTT over LTE system is also fully compatible with P25 networks. The companies believe that this demonstration proves LTE can be used successfully by public safety for vital communications.
    Well, it looks like a true successor to DC has been found. Let's see how this affects iDEN networks in the future.
    Tracfone W175g is IMPOSSIBLE to flash. If you don't want to use it with Trac, it's WORTHLESS. Stop PM'ing me!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    RIP iDEN ! ;p !

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    I hear iDEN is already on the way out in some places... appearantly, in SoCal, Sprint has taken down iDEN base stations and replaced them with WiMAX cells. Let's see if iDEN will indeed be supported until 2013.

Feedback Score
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...d-Push-to-Talk

Sprint is migrating to a new standard for PTT, iDEN phased out by 2013.

Not sure what TELUS' plans are, do they have other iDEN roaming partners?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Drop View Post
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...d-Push-to-Talk

Sprint is migrating to a new standard for PTT, iDEN phased out by 2013.

Not sure what TELUS' plans are, do they have other iDEN roaming partners?
    There are no other roaming parters lol. TELUS and Sprint are really the only two compnays using IDEN on any sort of large scale.
    Posted Using Two Copper Wires Twisted Together, And Connected To A Old Fashioned Personal Computing Device That Is Small Enough To Fit On A Desk Top.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    Actually, there is a surprising list of countries using iDEN. However, with PTT over LTE seeming a viable solution to replace DC and the fact TELUS has target 2012 for LTE... could iDEN have an early death? I was thinking about bailing out, but I think I'll wait and see.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticePain View Post
    Actually, there is a surprising list of countries using iDEN. However, with PTT over LTE seeming a viable solution to replace DC and the fact TELUS has target 2012 for LTE... could iDEN have an early death? I was thinking about bailing out, but I think I'll wait and see.
    I could be wrong but I belive that alot of the networks in other nations were built by Nextel for their Corp Clients (ie Mining and oil and gas).

It will be interesting to see if the industry comes up with something that can compete with IDEN.

I don't miss IDEN or my 8350i. The HSPA network, and my Nexus 1 blow my mind everyday!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    PTT over LTE has already been demonstrated, and with Telus eyeing 2012 for LTE, the axe might fall down on iDEN.

Me, I have the i1, and with a task manager, it's SO much BETTER. Gone is the maddening slowness after prolonged standby, like say after 30 minutes. Poof, gone, no more. I'm still a little ticked off at the i1 being stuck with 1.5, but the i1X or i1Q coming out with a physical keyboard...

As for iDEN in other countries, Nextel has extended to many countries, but there are other iDEN networks as well in other countries like Colombia, Saudi Arabia, China, Singapore, Japan, Puerto Rico, and I can't quite remember the others. I'm not sure of the market share, but China and Japan having iDEN, that makes for a lot of users.

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I was talking to an operator technician ( tower site operator). He told me that LTE upgrade will be done with huwawei equipment.
    Unless NSN gets contracted out, I don't see it happening in canada.

Sent from my iPhone4 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 1
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
    I was talking to an operator technician ( tower site operator). He told me that LTE upgrade will be done with huwawei equipment.
    Unless NSN gets contracted out, I don't see it happening in canada.

Sent from my iPhone4 using HowardForums
    Once it's proven doable by one network provider, a solution will be either developled by others or liscensed by others quickly