Thread: Words of caution regarding straight talk smart phones on ebay or craigslist!

Feedback Score

Words of caution regarding straight talk smart phones on ebay or craigslist!

Tragically people have been abusing the trust of customers on eBay by selling SIM-less Nokia E71 and Nokia Surge 6790 smart phones. The sellers will claim you will need to get our own Straight Talk SIM to make the phone work. Unfortunately this is untrue and many people are being had and paying close to or more than retail for these useless phones because there is a shortage in Wal-Mart stores.

I would not advise buying an Straight Talk smart phone on eBay unless the seller has a return policy and acknowledges the phone has the original SIM and the phone is active (meaning it was initialized at purchase as are all prepaid phones that are not stolen). AVOID ALL AS-IS sales of Straight Talk smart phones, you may as well throw your money in the trash if you're going to do that. Sadly people have paid as much as retail for an AS-IS sale because the seller is misleading buyers.

So Non-initialized and SIM-less phones are to be avoided with extreme prejudice.

Don't EVER buy a Straight Talk phone on Craigslist, period. I wouldn't advise doing this even under the condition of being able to test it first, mostly because I wouldn't want to sit around in an uncomfortable environment with someone who may have hostile intentions while you attempt to configure the phone.

If you have a question, or feel I left something out, please feel free to ask a question or make a comment.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also, If the E-71 was put into an account, that will block you from ordering another SIM card because you won`t have the account Info nor be using the address in the account.
    With all the old GSM phones around, they could ship the E-71 with any old SIM card in it.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The reason this keeps coming up is because people assume Straight Talk handles GSM phones the same way as any other carrier. Having to check for a clear ESN/MEID on used phones is business as usual in the CDMA world, and in this regard it's no different. I posted in a similar thread how you can check if an IMEI is clear and what the various responses Straight Talk's site gives you means.

Also, a seller should not post the IMEI on their auctions, because it's a serious security risk (which I won't go into details about, since it will likely create more problems). So what is a buyer to do? Make sure the seller has good feedback and specifically states in the auction description that the phone is clear to activate. An e-mail response that the phone is clear probably isn't good enough to file a "not as described" claim, so ask the seller to update the auction description.

Finally, know when to walk away. If the seller won't put in the description that the phone is clear to be activated, assume it's no good and don't buy it. And let me add a little warning to sellers thinking they can unload their Straight Talk E71 on eBay and happily use their SIM in another phone - you're only one inept call center representative away from losing your service. I've managed to get them turned off, and if I've figured it out, others have too. Do you feel lucky?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    and let me add a little warning to sellers thinking they can unload their straight talk e71 on ebay and happily use their sim in another phone - you're only one inept call center representative away from losing your service. I've managed to get them turned off, and if i've figured it out, others have too. Do you feel lucky?
    Now that's funny.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, do ya?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth=L View Post
    Tragically people have been abusing the trust of customers on eBay by selling SIM-less Nokia E71 and Nokia Surge 6790 smart phones. The sellers will claim you will need to get our own Straight Talk SIM to make the phone work. Unfortunately this is untrue and many people are being had and paying close to or more than retail for these useless phones because there is a shortage in Wal-Mart stores.......
    You've led a sheltered, protected life if this is your idea of tragedy and abuse...

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I gots ta no?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier
    I gots ta no?
    You SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by chasham
    You've led a sheltered, protected life if this is your idea of tragedy and abuse...
    Any reason for your useless post? It is neither helpful, nor funny. Since this is a forum, it's pretty much a requisite to either stay on topic or say something funny. If you can't accomplish either of those things, I suggest you find a new hobby. The following sentence is to be regarded as sarcastic. I'm so sorry if my use of adverbs is not to your liking.

This thread is intended to create awareness surrounding the sale of phones on eBay that have absolutely no value.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Seth=L You misunderstood. I was finishing a Dirty Harry scene:

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Bank Robber: I gots to know.

Feedback Score
    I thought the robber said "you SOB" after the gun goes *click*....

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth=L View Post
    I thought the robber said "you SOB" after the gun goes *click*....
    I didn`t recall that being said. This is the closest Video I could find and I don`t know if they cut away before the dialog is finished.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7YKb...layer_embedded