Thread: Can I use a Palm Pixi Plus to provide Wi-Fi to an iPod touch?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Can I use a Palm Pixi Plus to provide Wi-Fi to an iPod touch?

I have a POS phone on Verizon (which I pay about $70 a month for), and have been considering upgrading to a smart phone for awhile now but I do not want to pay for the extra $30 in data charges... Also recently my iPod died on me, so I am in the market to replace that...

So I have seen deals all over the net for Palm Pixi Plus's for about $50 w/o a contract. The first thing I wondered is if I could use one of these to create a mobile wifi hotspot for an iPod Touch? Then I could have a phone that is better than my current POS without getting roped into a new contract, and use the iPod touch to run apps and internet that I would want from a smart phone. Is my logic correct on this so far?

Since I have begun researching things further today I discovered the Verizon Page Plus prepaid plan. I am wondering if this is a better deal for me than my current $70 for 900 mins and unlimited txt per month? How far will 20MB go? What happens after 20MB is used?

So I have a lot of questions here! To clarify and make it easier for everyone to help me:
    1. Possible to create a mobile wifi hotspot for an iPod Touch? Therefore it would be possible to run internet and apps on the iPod Touch for free?
    2. Is the Page Plus a better deal than $70 for 900 mins and unlimited txt per month?
    3. What can you do with 20MB of data?
    4. How much does additional data cost?
    5. Do I still get my Farmers Insurance discount on the Page Plus service that I am currently getting towards my monthly Verizon bill?
    6. Am I better off just sucking it up and getting a smart phone now (and paying another $30 per month in data)?
    7. Any new super phones coming out in the next few months (iPhone 5, new Moto Droid, etc.)?

Thanks guys!

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just to say. The Pixi Plus has the option for free mobile hotspot with 3G. You get 5GB a month free just for having the phone.

5GB should be good a month for what you want to do with the iPod Touch.

20MB depends on what you do. For most people the 20MB would be gone in an hour on a smart phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorcancer View Post
    Just to say. The Pixi Plus has the option for free mobile hotspot with 3G. You get 5GB a month free just for having the phone.

5GB should be good a month for what you want to do with the iPod Touch.

20MB depends on what you do. For most people the 20MB would be gone in an hour on a smart phone.
    So I could run a free mobile hotspot with this phone without using any data then? And that would allow me to use internet, email, and apps on the iPod Touch?

Thanks!

**EDIT** I saw that the Page Plus plan offers unlimited talk and text with 20 MB data for $44.95 a month...

How do you get 5GB for free?

Device(s)
    motorola moto x
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    First, you get free mobile hotspot with the pixi plus, NOT FREE INTERNET!
    To activate the pixi on your verizon plan you will have to add the $30 data plan, period.
    On verizon, if you have the pixi you will get 5GB of tethering, (mobile hotspot) free.
    Second, page plus uses the verizon network, they are not verizon, you will not get your Farmers discount with page plus, the price you see advertised is the price period.
    Also, 20MB of data will be eat up in one day if you do anything at all with the pixi.
    So the best option is to stick with Verizon, get your pixi add unlimited data and pay the price.
    and you could use your ipod touch over the hotspot feature but that does use data.

Device(s)
    RIM BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    I think it all depends on his usage pattern. I got one of the pixis during the fire sales and I'm loving it. I'm in a hospital (excellent university wifi coverage) from 7am-6pm everyday though, and at home I've got wifi so I'm pulling what looks to be about 100 mb a month through VZW, give or take. I haven't really tried to conserve bandwidth, either I just leave the wifi on all the time.

So, I called VZW retentions and asked them for the $15/150MB data package. She didn't blink, just added it straight up.

I wouldn't dare use the hotspot feature on my tiny bucket of data though!

At the end of the day though I agree, I think you should probably stay with VZW, page plus doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider the price of equipment. If thats important to you.

Finally, your plan sounds a little expensive for a non-smartphone, what features/calling plan are you on? Have you investigated a corporate discount through your work? I pay around $160 for a 5 line family share with 3 PDAs on the $15 data package which is roughly $32/line, tax included. 1400 min, unlimited text. You could very likely optimize your plan a little and save some cash. When pixis are going for $50 theres no real reason to pay for an insurance plan

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HamerTrain View Post
    So I could run a free mobile hotspot with this phone without using any data then? And that would allow me to use internet, email, and apps on the iPod Touch?

Thanks!

**EDIT** I saw that the Page Plus plan offers unlimited talk and text with 20 MB data for $44.95 a month...

How do you get 5GB for free?
    What Fireredak said is right. You don't get unlimited data for free. You still need to pay $29.99 for unlimited data. BUT with the Pixi Plus you get mobile hotspot for free (5GB a month). You get it for free because it's an exclusive deal with the Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and I believe the Pre 2. I don't know why but I believe it was to sell more palm phones.

Normally you have to pay extra for the hotspot feature. The 5GB limit should be enough for iPod tethering.