Thread: $2/day plan, buy SIM vs. phone?

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score

$2/day plan, buy SIM vs. phone?

Helping someone who's getting to the end of a TM2Go $50 unlimited plan, with perhaps 10 days in the US after the plan expires. Not worth another $50 (though they could easily go through 500 minutes I suspect). We wondered about the $2/day AT&T GoPhone plan (actually we wondered about the $3/day plan so seeing it's now $2 is a bonus!). Don't care about the phone number and in fact the TM2G might be left turned on for incoming calls at 10c/min. Worst case, we're assuming it will be used every day, so $20 for 10 days of unlimited.

It looks like unanswered incoming calls don't trigger the $2, is that right? And is the "day" midnight-to-midnight, or 6am-6am, or something else?

They have a spare unlocked phone available, but I see a SIM is $5.95 shipped from AT&T and a Nokia 2720 is $5.99 shipped! Is there any real reason to get the SIM instead of the phone? The phone looks very basic (as I'm sure it is). If it's unacceptable, can the SIM be taken out and put in an unlocked phone? (I know that's how GSM phones work but I'm worried about the SIM being tied to the handset for some reason).

What's the smallest refill you can get? I thought $10 would be good as a start but CallingMart only goes down to $15. And what about expiry? How long would a really cheap GP card last if not used? My only recent prepaid experience is with TM2G where even the smallest refill adds a year to the expiry.

Thanks!
    =aw

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    It looks like unanswered incoming calls don't trigger the $2, is that right?
    Check the provisions again. Even an incoming or outgoing text message WILL trigger the $2 per day charge. The only way to avoid charges is to leave your phone off on days you're sure you won't use it.

I had to reconsider using GoPhone after talking with one of AT&T's live chat operators to confirm this. I might still go with them but only for a 2nd phone.
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Well, in this case they could live with only turning on the phone when willing to receive calls/texts (very different from your situation I suspect, where you might want to know a call is coming in but not want texts to arrive).

Here's what I see on http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...hone-plans.jsp

**$2/day charged only on days phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), use IM, or send a text or picture/video/sound message.
    To me, this sounded like the $2 would NOT be triggered by an incoming text, or not answering an incoming call (I took "a call to voice mailbox" meaning you check your vmail from that phone). IOW only actions over which you have control would start the charge. That's why I thought it would be safe to leave the phone on and just not answer the calls if not important (and if not yet used the phone that day).

Am I misunderstanding this footnote? Can anyone answer some of the others questions in my original post?

BTW, I found cheaper SIMs on eBay, such as $1.75 shipped for the SIM and $14.99 for the SIM and a $15 refill. I called an AT&T store and they said the SIM is free if activated in the store and if you buy and activate a refill of any denomination at the same time. I'm thinking that $15.90 (with tax) might be worth avoiding the uncertainty of when it would arrive in the mail. $15 is good for 30 days?

Thanks!
    =aw

Phone
    Lumia_635, iPhone_5S
    Carrier
    at&t_GP, Virgin_Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Inbound texts are free on the $2/day plan.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Right, the question is whether an inbound text triggers the $2 if it's the first activity of the day.

Also what the "day" is, 12-12, 6a-6a, etc.

Thanks!
    =aw

Phone
    Lumia_635, iPhone_5S
    Carrier
    at&t_GP, Virgin_Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Right, the question is whether an inbound text triggers the $2 if it's the first activity of the day.

Also what the "day" is, 12-12, 6a-6a, etc.

Thanks!
    =aw
    From at&t's website....
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...equestid=92493
    Daily Unlimited Talk & Text Plan: The rate plan charge for the Unlimited Daily Talk & Text plan is assessed each day you use your phone to make or receive voice calls, including a call to voice mailbox, use IM or send a text or picture/video/sound message. The day for purposes of the daily rate plan charge starts at midnight and ends at midnight based on the time zone in which you are located when you make a call, use IM or send a message. A minimum account balance sufficient to pay the rate plan charge for the daily Unlimited plan is required to place or receive the first call of the day, use IM or send a message.
    And from experience with the plan...
    Inbound texts do not trigger the $2/day fee.

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the confirmation. I guess you could get <24hr for $2 if flying east, and >24hr if flying west.

And your experience with incoming texts is a good confirmation, an earlier reply said incoming text would trigger the $2. Are we able to _read_ the inbound text for free? I wouldn't find it entirely unreasonable that opening it would constitute usage (and $2) but the simple reception of it wouldn't.

=aw

Phone
    Lumia_635, iPhone_5S
    Carrier
    at&t_GP, Virgin_Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the confirmation. I guess you could get <24hr for $2 if flying east, and >24hr if flying west.

And your experience with incoming texts is a good confirmation, an earlier reply said incoming text would trigger the $2. Are we able to _read_ the inbound text for free? I wouldn't find it entirely unreasonable that opening it would constitute usage (and $2) but the simple reception of it wouldn't.

=aw
    Sending a message and answering or placing a call do trigger the $2/day charge. you can read the inbound text and it will not trigger the fee.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    I can also confirm, interestingly, that sending an SMS to one of the Mobile Giving "SMS donate" numbers will *not* trigger the $2/day charge. Useful info if you've got >$5 credit left and you're not going to be using the SIM anymore.