Thread: 16GB sd card on Optimus V, phone don't recognize it

Feedback Score

16GB sd card on Optimus V, phone don't recognize it

Manual says this phone supports up to 32GB, but when I insert a 16GB mini card it doesn't work, phone doesn't do nothing, any ideas? it doesn't give me the option to format the card

Phone
    Optimus Elite & F6
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you have the option to "Mount the card"?

Feedback Score
    No, I don't have any option, its like I don't insert the card at all. when I'm removing the card the option "mount the card" appears for less than a second but thats it

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you have a way to insert it into your PC? If so try that. If it gives you a notice to format it, that is your problem right there. Format it on your PC. It could be formatted in a weird way or corrupted to where not even Android could read it, but that is pretty rare.

Also, try using it a bit on your PC. If your PC doesn't recognize it as well or the PC loses sight of it while you are using it, you may have a problem with the card. It could be physically damaged.
    Last edited by HallOfPromise; 03-08-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Phones
    Android All Day!!!!!!
    Moto Triumph (metro)
    Htc Incredible 2 (metro,Miui WEB,MMS,GPS,APPS)
    Carriers
    Metro Pcs
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    dose it work on yur pc ..? try it there first if it dose then reformat the card then insert it again !

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GIBBYTM View Post
    dose it work on yur pc ..? try it there first if it dose then reformat the card then insert it again !
    If doesn't work on a PC, the card is corrupt. You should return it, in that case... unless you corrupted it by removing it without unmounting it.

Feedback Score
    Capacity is definitely not the issue, I've been using 32gb Sandisk from day one

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yep...go ahead and try to reformat it...I have 16GB and 32GB cards that work fine. If you bought a cheap card off eBay, you could have one with a fudged controller...and it really isn't 16GB...those will never work properly.

Phone
    HTC Evo V w/Harmonia
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    16gig here, no problem.
    Your village called, they want their idiot back.

Phone
    The Original LG Optimus V with 2.2.1. :)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haulero View Post
    Manual says this phone supports up to 32GB, but when I insert a 16GB mini card it doesn't work, phone doesn't do nothing, any ideas? it doesn't give me the option to format the card
    The card is defective, needs to go back for a refund.

Could you share a brand name and where the card was purchased from? I am shopping for a 16gb class 4 or 6 and would like to know places to avoid, lol. This card looks ok but I am still not sure:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...rtno=SDC4/16GB
    Virgin Evolution: Kyocera X-TC {167ppi}-> Rumor Touch {155ppi}-> Samsung Intercept {146ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi} LG Optimus V {180ppi}->-> ???
    Current main device: Asus Nexus 7 32 GB {216}
    My next phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on TMo??? {265ppi} Getting less sure. Leaning towards Nexus 4 {318 ppi}

Feedback Score
    First things I tried after the phone didn't recognize my card was that: format the card using my pc, didn't work on my cell anyway. So I've been using this card transfering files from my pc to the card and it works, I put the card on a samsung omnia and the phone recognize the card without problems and reads the files. But still, Optimus won't recognize it!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyTA View Post
    The card is defective, needs to go back for a refund.

Could you share a brand name and where the card was purchased from? I am shopping for a 16gb class 4 or 6 and would like to know places to avoid, lol. This card looks ok but I am still not sure:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...rtno=SDC4/16GB
    It is a kingston card, its 16GB and I didn't buy it, it came on a phone I won on ebay (the verizon samsung omnia) so just took it out of the samsung and stick it in my optimus didn't work, first thing I did was format the card using my computer, then put it in my optimus and it didn't work either. So next thing I did was transfer files from my pc to the card, then put it again in my optimus and didn't work.... again. Now If I put the card in the Samsung omnia I have no problems, omnia reads the card!

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are fudged Kingston cards out there..so beware. Here's a couple of things that may help:

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/ - will test the card to see if it's fake.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/ - the official SD Card formatter...will do a complete reformat.

If the SD card that came with the phone works, it's a card problem, rather than the phone. Once in a while you'll run into a balky SD card that's not compatible with some phones...but most often it's a card that's had the controller fudged...especially from eBay.

Cards will often have a lifetime warranty...Kingston may have a tool that can be used to test their cards...contact their tech support people.

Feedback Score
    Well I had to return the phone because the touch screen was not responding properly... so I had to return the card too. Hope I don't have the same problem with a different mini card I get somewhere, sometime

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a similar problem with some 8gb cards from my old Intercepts in my Optimi. Then I remembered they were still formatted with partitions for apps and swap. A quick format later, (using the disk partition admin tool in Windows) they were good as new.

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk