Thread: Yet another "which is best?" smartphone for Page Plus.

Phones
    HTC Imagio is currently just an alarm clock
    Moto Barrage
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Yet another "which is best?" smartphone for Page Plus.

Hello all,
    I have been doing some reading elsewhere and here on this issue. I wasn't too impressed with PP until I did some research and found the smartphones that were available (although not directly from Page Plus.) I mainly need it because it's cheap and I need Verizon's coverage.

I understand the 100 mb data cap cautions. Will just have to learn to be disciplined. I want Android if possible so I can stop having to update multiple calendars. I do want to do a few emails a day and maybe check the weather and a few minor web lookups. I would try to do the heavy stuff on wifi. So far, I like the Devour best.

I also see that there are some WM 6 devices available, includin the Treo Pro.

Which would be the least trouble to get on PP with? I would rather go back to WM with little trouble than find Android to be a pain.

Or would I just be better off with a feature phone? I saw one dealer that has the Casio Brigade, which is a 3g feature phone. A rugged device ain't a bad idea for me, either. I would rather have access to apps like ereaders and such but at least I could check my Yahoo manually.

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 918 collector View Post
    I want Android if possible so I can stop having to update multiple calendars.

I also see that there are some WM 6 devices available... I would rather go back to WM with little trouble than find Android to be a pain.
    Which of those two statements is the one that you want?
    WM or Android? There's plenty of both from Treos and Q9's up to the newest Droid X. All of them are pretty straight forward to activate and auto configure for data provided they are Verizon branded.

With Google Sync you can merge your calendars in either windows mobile or android without much hassle.

eReaders are going to be more readily available on Android tablet phones rather than WM phones simply because of the larger number of available applications. And a Brigade is just a texting phone with a dumb phone browser. It really isn't going to satisfy the list of things you want other than being less fragile.
    Last edited by icebook; 03-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Phones
    HTC Imagio is currently just an alarm clock
    Moto Barrage
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Short answer: Android is preferred since it's a modern OS and not a dead end.

Since I have a pretty rough job, ruggedness is appreciated. That being said, I've not destroyed any phone on the job before now. I liked the Casio because of its ruggedness and the best keyboard I've ever seen on mobile device. I would prefer not to have another dumb device, though.

I was just thinking WM6 would be a fallback if and only if Android was difficult to deal with on Page Plus. I don't particularly want to go that route since the old WM is a dead end but I'm at least familiar with it.

The Devour isn't the most cutting edge Android by a long shot but I wouldn't overtax it anyway, the more especially so since I will have to ration my 100mb/month on PP. It does, however, seem fairly rugged compared to any others that work on the VZW network and there's an Otterbox case that will fit it.

I mainly need VZW's geographic reach since I work out in the wilds so much and the Devour should be more than adequate for voice & text. Even a small data alotment is icing on the cake.

My question came up because the more internet research I did, the more confused I got. "This phone works" on one site, "It won't work at all" on another, and so on.

I haven't visited HOFO in a while but I remember people here were very helpful and well-informed back in my Blackberry days. I'll be glad for any insights you guys can provide.

Phone
    iPhone 4, S3
    Carriers
    Straight Talk $45
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Droid 1+2 are made of metal, I have dropped my Droid1 many times but it is perfectly fine. The screen is made to be nearly unscratched as well (untrue but it holds out pretty well).

Carrier
    Droid 2 on Page Plus Cellular ( RIP on 4/15) E71 ( soon to be Samsung Captivate) on Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Depressicaa on the ruggedness of the droids. I have a droid 2 and I am bad at dropping my phone and it will literally bounce across the pavement and I can pick it up and it will still work.

Phones
    Droid X
    LG vx6000
    dare
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Casio phones will not get data through pageplus (unless that has recently changed).

I would suggest any Android phone that can be updated to v2.2, because you can turn data off (completely) with Android v2.2. There have been no problems (except maybe with Droid 2 Global) activating any of the droid phones.

I would also suggest a "body glove" for whichever phone you decde on. The glove is not cheap, but are made of a softer rubber and will help protect you device. And a screen protector is 99 cents on ebay.
    vx6000>enV>dare>droid x

Feedback Score
    I have Droid Incredible and like it a lot (it has no physical keyboard - don't know how important this is for you). I wouldn't describe it as rugged though.

Phones
    blackberry flip
    blackberry flip
    Carrier
    page plus
    Feedback Score
    Do droids have wifi? How fast can you run through 100MB of dat per month? I have a palm pixi plus. I recently turned off my email sync. My data goes very quickly on this phone. I will only use the wifi on it now, unless in case of emergency, I will use data. My vote is for palm pixi plus. Only $70 with free ship on ebay. Phone has free wifi where you can get it. The size of the phone is the biggest plus, drops in your pocket and you hardly know it's there. Those moto droids are BIG. My 2 cents.

Phone
    HTC Incredible; Moto Droid, Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have a Moto Droid that I used for some time, then went to an HTC Incredible. The latter is faster and sleeker than the Droid 1, but that Droid is a tough piece of electrical equipment. The Droid 1 has a kind of funky QWERTY slide out KB, the Incredible just a virtual KB on screen. I just bought a Palm Pixi Plus for family and got a real deal on it. If you want to carry a phone with a small footprint but some smart phone options and WiFi, this would be it. The screen is smaller then both Android models, the QWERTY KB keys are pretty small and of course the Pixi is not using the Android OS.
    Len207

Feedback Score
    3 weeks after getting Droid Incredible I realized it has compact QWERTY keyboard as an option - I use it more than regular, especially if I need to enter a lot of text