Thread: charge incoming calls to GV not cell phone minutes

Feedback Score

charge incoming calls to GV not cell phone minutes

Hi,

I have a new Virgin Mobile phone with LG optimus V. I have setup google voice app which works great. Now, for outgoing call, I know I am using GV to dial the number, so I don't use my cell phone minutes. However, for calls that come in from GV, are forwarded to my cellphone. Makes me think that since I am answering the calls through my phone, I am using up my minutes. I am wondering if there is a way to answer the calls using GV on my cellphone, and not use the carrier minutes. Any hints?

Thanks,
    John.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Only way is to use something like t-mobile five free calling numbers, and list your Google voice number as one of those free numbers.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Phones
    Nexus One / SE Equinox TM717
    Huawei U8150/Comet
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure outgoing calls don't use your minutes? Are you calling just using wifi? Otherwise, outgoing calls with GV do use your cell minutes.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The 5 number list don't use any minutes no matter what. Though I'm not sure these features are still available.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy007 View Post
    Hi,

I have a new Virgin Mobile phone with LG optimus V. I have setup google voice app which works great. Now, for outgoing call, I know I am using GV to dial the number, so I don't use my cell phone minutes. However, for calls that come in from GV, are forwarded to my cellphone. Makes me think that since I am answering the calls through my phone, I am using up my minutes. I am wondering if there is a way to answer the calls using GV on my cellphone, and not use the carrier minutes. Any hints?

Thanks,
    John.
    Write ten times on the blackboard: Google Voice is not VoIP. It's a forwarding service that uses VoIP internally.

Your outgoing calls use your minutes. Your incoming calls use your minutes. It all goes through the cell network.

Your text messages on GV go through data though and not SMS. But your plan most likely includes text already, right?