Thread: Can I use BBM without having a blackberry?

Feedback Score

Can I use BBM without having a blackberry?

I see there are programs to run BBM on Android phones.

So that would mean it is not a blackberry.

How can I get a PIN without having an actual blackberry?

I want to go all Android and have found a good push program which works great but the only link I have no is the blackberry BBM and then I can trash my blackberry and use the Android full time.

How can I get a blackberry PIN if I am using an Android phone?

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    No, you can't.

In the future, this might be possible if the rumour that RIM is making BBM available outside the Blackberry OS platform is true.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    HTC Incredible
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    No, you can't.

In the future, this might be possible if the rumour that RIM is making BBM available outside the Blackberry OS platform is true.

Heard that too, but I have been using "Whatsapp" messenger. It's a free app available on Android, BB and Iphone, which functions almost like BBM. It will have to do until BB gets back into the market by making a phone that can compete with Android hardware.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzkelli View Post
    Heard that too, but I have been using "Whatsapp" messenger. It's a free app available on Android, BB and Iphone, which functions almost like BBM. It will have to do until BB gets back into the market by making a phone that can compete with Android hardware.
    I've used PingChat and KikChat which is very similar to BBM... but nothing in my opinion can replace BBM in that I find it very reliable and you get notifications of delivery and whether the message was read. It is better than any of the 3rd party chat programs that I've seen due to connection errors, time-outs, etc... at least that has been my experience.

Phone
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think BBM is coming to other platforms. Too often these rumors are partly correct and partly wrong. What did happen was that RIM made it possible for developers to access BBM through their new apps through the dev kit.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/15/bbm-so...s-public-beta/

There are many reasons why RIM should not release BBM for other platforms and no reason to do it. Leveraging the platform's strengths is a concept RIM understands. Why give away that killer feature? Not happening. Way back when, there was something called BlackBerry Connect. It provided BlackBerry services for Nokia phones (and a few others) by providing a PIN and opening up the BlackBerry infrastructure to them. It was horrid at best and RIM finally just killed it off. RIM got almost nothing for BlackBerry Connect and made it easy for people not to buy RIM handsets.