Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 100 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola's new Droid Bionic (Targa) pre-release thread - Part 1

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Samsung Fascinate
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DitkasWallet View Post
    Can we get an estimated release date for the bionic yet?
    It's been said to death. Very late July/August.

Phones
    Moto X Developer
    On my 24th Motorola phone now. Too many to count.
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy_JK View Post
    Ya I'm not waiting another 6-9 months for that, its been 9 months since I was off contract anyhow. I'd love a quad core but if the Bionic delivers 90% of what I wanted than this will be my phone for the foreseeable future.
    There aren't any apps that are optimized for a multi-core processor yet, because Android generally doesn't support it.

Feedback Score

Do I see pentile?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by rideflat View Post
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06...android-2-3-4/

Sent from my Droid using HowardForums
    Yay for horizontal App Screen! But do I also see pentile on that image? I can see a grid-like thing going on all across the top. Please someone tell me that's just bad JPEG compression or something!

Name:  droid-bionic5.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  59.4 KB
    Last edited by SteveH647; 06-06-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Meant to put full file instead of thumbnail

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i'm actually hoping for 4.5" now that i've spent a year with the 4.3" DX i have a fever that can only be cured by increasing screen size! in fact, what i really can't wait for is ice cream sandwich, because then there don't have to be any physical buttons and you can imagine a phone with a 5" screen and very slim bezel that is still manageable.

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    OG Motorola Droid
    xv6900 NFSFAN WM6.5 ROM
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wnrussell View Post
    There aren't any apps that are optimized for a multi-core processor yet, because Android generally doesn't support it.
    The Bionic looks like the device I have been hoping for. I believe the dual core will prove beneficial in the very near future. I really don't see quad core processors being any real benefit for a year or possibly even two years, especially weighing processing benefit v. power consumption..

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH647 View Post
    Yay for horizontal App Screen! But do I also see pentile on that image? I can see a grid-like thing going on all across the top. Please someone tell me that's just bad JPEG compression or something!
    Considering that all Motorola qHD screens have been pentile to date, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume that this one will be also.

Phones
    Droid 1 and X, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD,
    Moto E815 reg cell Work Horse
    Samsung Omnia 1 BOOOOO!! Samsung u740 -Boo!!!!
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    If this phone comes out soon, I can see my grabbing this. And just keep my 1 year update cycle going...cuz I will grab some phone in 2012 too...lol

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH647 View Post

Name:  droid-bionic5.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  59.4 KB
    Even if it is, like some of us were reminded and I already knew, you will have to see it in person to say if its a problem. Like in that pic look at the icons. I dont see a grid thing going on. Even the All apps doesnt look grainy. But I do see what you're talking about.

Feedback Score
    Is PenTile really that bad? i understand very very up close you can kinda make it out but will it really affect everyday use?

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DitkasWallet View Post
    Is PenTile really that bad? i understand very very up close you can kinda make it out but will it really affect everyday use?
    It varies from person to person. Most people have no problems with it in normal day-to-day use. Some people do. You just have to try it out yourself to see which camp you fall into.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Considering that all Motorola qHD screens have been pentile to date, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume that this one will be also.
    Bummer. I was really hoping they would follow in Samsung's tracks and go pure RGB. This may actually be a deal-breaker for me and I may end up getting a Galaxy S II.

Quote Originally Posted by jroc74 View Post
    Even if it is, like some of us were reminded and I already knew, you will have to see it in person to say if its a problem. Like in that pic look at the icons. I dont see a grid thing going on. Even the All apps doesnt look grainy. But I do see what you're talking about.
    Yea, I guess now I have to go to the store and take a good look at the Droid X2. I personally feel like this is something that would bother me to no end. I think the reason you can't see it on the text is that the picture is slightly blurry. It's obvious in the background because a pentile display can NEVER render a single color (besides pure black or white) 100% accurately across all pixels. It will always alternate between a Reddish-Green tint (RG) and a blueish tint (BW). I almost know for a fact that I would not be able to live with that .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wnrussell View Post
    I keep seeing this repeated, but I get forced into a two year contract and hence need to keep any particular phone for at least 20 months. Not to mention none of us have a clue what all multicore will do for full on Ice Cream that will hit quadcore hardware more than likely straight out the gate. Basically if multicore follows PC's and we assume Android is about 6 months into that direction, then add another 3-6 months before quadcore hits, and then another 20 months before I can get another subsidy and we will probably have lots of stuff not just wanting 2+ cores, but actually NEEDING it in some cases. Particularly when you are Moto or Asus and trying to market something to dock them into in an attempt to supplant netbooks and laptops.

Shoot, just the decision to give my OG Droid 256mb of Ram and little app memory have made OG Droid owners STRUGGLE to last out their 20 months if they got it right away, much less if they bought into it a few months after intro. Pretty sure subsequent Android releases and apps that try and leverage MP cores over the next 20 months are going to make the early 4 core phones look like really smart moves in that 12-20 month after subsidy range. Shoot 4 cores and the first Adobe Flash plugin to tag them all for full HD streaming to a TV with butter smoothness could happen by or soon after the first quadcore phone hits and that ignores what it could do for games.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post
    The Bionic looks like the device I have been hoping for. I believe the dual core will prove beneficial in the very near future. I really don't see quad core processors being any real benefit for a year or possibly even two years, especially weighing processing benefit v. power consumption..
    One word, DOCKS!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    It varies from person to person. Most people have no problems with it in normal day-to-day use. Some people do. You just have to try it out yourself to see which camp you fall into.
    I have seen it and although it's sharp enough for me it looks to similar to the lower rez in sharpness to give up the speed drop it will cause in trying to push the pixels. If it gave the screen that retina display sharpness I would understand and I think non-pentile qHD would get you real close to this upto around 4.5", but with the pentile you may as well not have upped the resolution and taken the extra pixel processing hit.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    maybe the bigger screen is the difference Winston was referring to when he said the Targa specs were, "almost"...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I have seen it and although it's sharp enough for me it looks to similar to the lower rez in sharpness to give up the speed drop it will cause in trying to push the pixels. If it gave the screen that retina display sharpness I would understand and I think non-pentile qHD would get you real close to this upto around 4.5", but with the pentile you may as well not have upped the resolution and taken the extra pixel processing hit.
    Here is what they should have done and (I think) most people would be happier with:

Create an RGBW screen where each entire pixel has all 4 RGBW subpixels. The screen should be equivalent to a QHD subpixel-wise, which would mean 960 * 3 / 4 = 720 by 540 * 3 / 4 = 405. This 720x405 screen would be lower resolution than most screens but would have great battery life (like pentile), improved brightness (like pentile), great color reproduction (lacking in pentile), and no weird jaggies (frustratingly apparent in pentile).

The pentile QHD they have now is actually sort of a scam subpixel-wise because, as we are all aware, 1/3 of the pixels are missing from what would be a "real" QHD. And, on top of that lost 1/3, another 1/6 of those pixels were changed to white! This effectively is like cutting the entire resolution in HALF in both dimensions, which is like having one FOURTH the pixels. And this is why I would rather them just do the sub-pixeling correctly instead of trying to create a "seemingly higher" rez display that in reality creates these jaggies that look lower rez than would be if they had just lowered the rez "for real" and did it properly.

*Math Correction*
    The resolution is only effectively halved in ONE dimension, not TWO as I wrote above. Therefore, the total resolution would only be half, not one fourth (my bad )
    Last edited by SteveH647; 06-07-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 100 ... LastLast