Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alltel transition... Got the Aria Free, but i want the INSPIRE!!!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePeacedog View Post
    Is the jury in yet? I chatted w/AT&T online last night and was told I could upgrade to the Inspire or the Atrix and keep my plan as is (Unlimited Data from Alltel grandfathered w/the merger). I was told this twice by two different reps, both of which I have the transcripts of the conversations. To my surprise, I was told at the local store today (when I went in to upgrade) that I'd have to switch plans, in effect giving up my unlimited data, even though there is no 4g available in my area, zip 24540. What gives? Thanks for any info. ;-)
    Any phone classified as "4G Capable" requires changing to a current data feature (200mb or 2GB). These phones require a special APN just like the iphone and the data will not function without the "4G" feature. You could keep your current plan but would have to change your data feature.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro "Rahael", HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Before Merger), AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay™ View Post
    Any phone classified as "4G Capable" requires changing to a current data feature (200mb or 2GB). These phones require a special APN just like the iphone and the data will not function without the "4G" feature. You could keep your current plan but would have to change your data feature.
    How would the APN affect areas w/no 4g available? I wouldn't be on a different network in my area and they just finished upgrading to 3g here. 4g isn't in sight, not anytime soon any way. Is this just a "catch all" to kill unlimited data plans? I could understand the change if I was actually upgrading to the 4g network, but in my case I'd simply be getting a nicer phone. The data will not change. Thanks for the info.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePeacedog View Post
    How would the APN affect areas w/no 4g available? I wouldn't be on a different network in my area and they just finished upgrading to 3g here. 4g isn't in sight, not anytime soon any way. Is this just a "catch all" to kill unlimited data plans? I could understand the change if I was actually upgrading to the 4g network, but in my case I'd simply be getting a nicer phone. The data will not change. Thanks for the info.
    AT&T classifies HSPA+ as 4G and the network in ALL former Alltel areas is HSPA+ and capable of 14 mbps. (current backhaul does not support this speed however) Any phone that is HSPA+ capable uses a different APN for data transfer. If you dont change to a 4G feature then your 4G (HSPA+) capable phone will not have access to the new APN and data will not function. You can call it a catch all if you want but it is what it is.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What if you rooted the phone and changed the APN to wap.cingular? Would that work or would they catch you and force a change by IMEI?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay™ View Post
    AT&T classifies HSPA+ as 4G and the network in ALL former Alltel areas is HSPA+ and capable of 14 mbps. (current backhaul does not support this speed however) Any phone that is HSPA+ capable uses a different APN for data transfer. If you dont change to a 4G feature then your 4G (HSPA+) capable phone will not have access to the new APN and data will not function. You can call it a catch all if you want but it is what it is.
    Data wouldn't function at all or just wouldn't function at HSPA+ speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    What if you rooted the phone and changed the APN to wap.cingular? Would that work or would they catch you and force a change by IMEI?
    These are some of the things I'm wondering about. There has to be a better way than giving up my unlimited data plan. It's the only reason I stayed w/AT&T after the merger. The phone I was supplied with is sub par comparatively, but I was grandfathered w/my plan so it seemed okay and i kept hope AT&T would come up with some better choices sooner or later. They actually did for the two Blackberries on my plan. Both of those phones were upgraded to the Torch at no cost. I guess the Android models are just too much revenue to give folks a decent swap.

Moving my 4 lines to Sprint or Intelos may be my only option at this point. Both of those companies "get it" that people don't want data caps. If I switch now I may be grandfathered when those two are gobbled up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So I've done a little research on this and I believe I can just buy the phone I want, put in my current sim and everything should be fine (regardless of APN settings). The catch is I don't get the upgrade price, but if I can keep my plan it's worth it. It's a shame after a long term contract that AT&T doesn't honor their end. If I hadn't honored my end I'm sure I'd be stuck with an ETF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2