Thread: When the Optimus V freezes and wont respond?

Feedback Score

When the Optimus V freezes and wont respond?

It's only happened to me once in the 6+ weeks I've had to phone but I know others have experienced this. I went to use the phone but the screen was off and it wouldn't respond to any buttons including holding the power button. The phone was used several minutes earlier for a text and was not powered off. I pulled the battery and was able to turn it on normally. Maybe this has happened before but the phone unfroze on it's own and I never noticed.

My concern is what would have happened if I hadn't tried to use the phone. Could I have received a call? More importantly would the alarm have worked?

Feedback Score
    If the phone is froze it won't receive a call or the alarm won't work... its froze, right? not working at the moment

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This has happened to me before as well. Twice as a matter of fact. I had to do a battery pull for the first time. The second time I managed to turn the phone off normally, though it was truly a pain to do so.

Not sure what is locking up the device. It seems to happen in stages. When it happens to me what I noticed first was the signal strength meter freezing. My first instinct is to put it into airplane mode, so I do. The phone slowly went into airplane mode but the meter didn't change what was displayed. So, I tried to turn off airplane mode but the phone didn't respond. Nothing would respond to my touches so I managed to lock the screen by hitting the lock button and that worked. Once I tried to turn the screen back on it wouldn't respond. So I had to do a battery pull.

This happened a second time. I put it into airplane mode like the first time and the same thing happened with the signal strength meter. This time, I just went straight to turning off the phone. The menu took about 15 seconds to pop up. I hit the Power Off button, it prompted me if I was sure and I confirmed. This was the longest shutdown I have seen on this device. When it finally powered off I restarted it and it ran just fine.

Weird stuff but I have a feeling it is the Android system acting up. Not sure if it is related to the device hardware or if it is how this version of Android is configured.

Feedback Score
    Well it wouldn't respond to any buttons. I'm wondering if it might be functioning on some level. If it happens again and I have access to another phone I'll try calling it. What worries me is that it didn't happen while I was actively using the phone. That really wouldn't be a problem. If it happens when it's idle that could be a big problem because it can go unnoticed. I've been using it as an alarm clock and would hate to have it happen overnight.

Feedback Score
    That is why I use double alarm clocks lol just in case one fails

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had Optimus froze quite a few times in the past 4 weeks since I bought it. I noticed the common trends being: apps installation, access of SD and probably the biggest culprit, access to network. Honestly, I feel like I am using a Microsoft product.

Phone
    HTC Evo V 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This happened to me today for the first time. I heard a notification tone, but when I went to check, the screen wouldn't wake up. After a few minutes, the screen lit up, but the phone was frozen. Before I pulled the battery, I noticed the notification was via the Watchdog Lite app. After my phone was up and running again, I checked Watchdog Lite, and Google Reader was the culprit. It was using up 81% of the CPU when the alert was triggered.

So if your phone freezes, a misbehaving app might be the culprit. Or you can blame the limited memory of the phone. :-(

Feedback Score
    If this happens to me again and I don't need to use the phone immediately I'm going to give it some time and see if it might come back on it's own. Maybe I should start shutting down my phone more often. As it stands I only turn it off once or twice a week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justscott5 View Post
    This happened to me today for the first time. I heard a notification tone, but when I went to check, the screen wouldn't wake up. After a few minutes, the screen lit up, but the phone was frozen. Before I pulled the battery, I noticed the notification was via the Watchdog Lite app. After my phone was up and running again, I checked Watchdog Lite, and Google Reader was the culprit. It was using up 81% of the CPU when the alert was triggered.

So if your phone freezes, a misbehaving app might be the culprit. Or you can blame the limited memory of the phone. :-(
    I do have Google Reader installed so maybe that was the problem. I'm going to give Watchdog Lite a try.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Mine has done that about 5 times now. Had to take the battery out. It seems to be preceded by the "3g" problem. Now I'm trying to reboot it more.

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Droid DNA
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless/Verizon Fios Quantum 75/35
    Feedback Score
    I do not care what phone or OS you are using freeze ups will happen from time to time,it is something you have to except and live with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lou61166 View Post
    I do not care what phone or OS you are using freeze ups will happen from time to time,it is something you have to except and live with.
    I really don't have a problem with occasional freezes while I'm actively using the phone. I do however have an issue if it freezes while idle and stops giving all notifications because I may not notice it for some time. I don't want to be missing calls, texts and alarms.

Is it common for other phone/OS to freeze when idle and lose notifications?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    All phones do freeze at some point in time, that is correct. But I think some apps can be notorious for triggering freezes and that some phones do freeze more than others. I have Optimus V and mine has frozen twice this week, so I am curious to know if there is a common bug in this phone or if this is as simple as managing an app. I'm hoping the latter.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Home button, hold home, press Power, hold Power, battery pull. Those are usually my diagnostic steps, not including a lot of pointless tapping and swearing in between.

And if you want an OS that never breaks, get an iPhone. And never turn it on, ever.

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk