Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HTC Thunderbolt LTE experience

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Depends what did you use for testing. The Speedtest.app has been updated so try that. Try also different servers since not every server has the best routing and the capacity to your connection. The best would be if you USB tether.
    I was running the Speedtest app on my handset. Didn't have a computer with me so I couldn't do USB tether. I also didn't have the most updated app. I was also connecting to the Secaucus server. Last night, I was in Chinatown (standing on Elizabeth street just outside the Elizabeth Center) and ran two Speedtests. I changed the server to the NYC server and got one test at 16 Mbps and the second test got a result of 22 Mbps. Both tests had uploads of 25 Mbps. Again, this was using the Speedtest Android app, not going through a computer connected via USB.

Earlier in the day I was at the Museum of Natural History and got two test results of 9 Mbps and 6 Mbps.

All the ping times were between 100 and 110 ms.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    I was running the Speedtest app on my handset. Didn't have a computer with me so I couldn't do USB tether. I also didn't have the most updated app. I was also connecting to the Secaucus server. Last night, I was in Chinatown (standing on Elizabeth street just outside the Elizabeth Center) and ran two Speedtests. I changed the server to the NYC server and got one test at 16 Mbps and the second test got a result of 22 Mbps. Both tests had uploads of 25 Mbps. Again, this was using the Speedtest Android app, not going through a computer connected via USB.

Earlier in the day I was at the Museum of Natural History and got two test results of 9 Mbps and 6 Mbps.

Ok I see. Well you won't be getting the same exact results in every area of the city. The absolute best way of measuring throughput would be usb tether plus a well seeded torrent for instance. That way you can see exactly how much that location can pull in. The maximum VZW LTE theoretical is 73mbps per user which is up to about 60mbps real life if the conditions are perfect (saturation, weather, etc)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well today out of the boredom I decided to make a video doing bunch of speedtests after my work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdF3AnNc308&hd=1

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Those are crazy speeds, especially now that more people are on VZW's 4G network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I've decided to run a few tests tonight, mostly to prove that Verizon's LTE is still going strong here in NY Metro Market. Speeds are still solid within 40-53mbps range which will vary on your location.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I get abot 25 to 28 mbit in Montgomery, about 6 to 10 down at gulf shores.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post

I envy you guys out East. I'm in Denver, and all around town I get basically ~4mbps down and ~4mbps up. I recently took a 5000+ mile road trip out East (big circle route ) and almost everywhere out East I was getting ~10-20 down and ~6-15 up. You guys have it made.

I've come to the conclusion that the reason for this is due to the backhaul capability of the cell sites there, compared to here. Here in Denver it is very hilly. You can be 1/2 mile from a cell site and lose the signal 'cuz you're in a hole. A half mile later you're getting a strong signal once again from the same cell site even though you are further away. Anyhow because of this, the architecture of cell site implementation is a little different out here. Basically they put a lot of small low power sites in a lot of places (to cover "holes") rather than a single big-honkin' powerful site to cover a large area, like in the East. So... you're relying on the backhaul coming into that bank building, office building, telephone pole, or whatever structure that the small low power antennas are mounted on. Bottom line... ~4mbps up/dn LTE speeds. But hey, I'm not complaining. I'm too old not to realize just how good ~4mbps speed is. It's good. And previously unheard of on cell phones. Still cool.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh Map]

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I do quite a few LTE speedtests. Most of the tests in IL/WI/IN/OH are in the 15-25mbps range. Sometimes tests will be under 10 and sometimes over 30. As long as it maintains 5mbps down and 2mbps up with reasonable pings I will always be happy. 40mbps on a phone is sweet but its almost pointless... (unless tethering) or doing a lot of large downloads/uploads. 5mbps is more than quick enough and there are quite a few people who don't even get that at home.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    40mbps on a phone is sweet but its almost pointless... (unless tethering) or doing a lot of large downloads/uploads. 5mbps is more than quick enough and there are quite a few people who don't even get that at home.
    That's almost like telling to every single car owner in the world that 10mph is quick enough for everyone and that it's pointless for them to get 100mph car.
    Last edited by milan03; 08-19-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I envy you guys out East. I'm in Denver, and all around town I get basically ~4mbps down and ~4mbps up. I recently took a 5000+ mile road trip out East (big circle route ) and almost everywhere out East I was getting ~10-20 down and ~6-15 up. You guys have it made.

I've come to the conclusion that the reason for this is due to the backhaul capability of the cell sites there, compared to here. Here in Denver it is very hilly. You can be 1/2 mile from a cell site and lose the signal 'cuz you're in a hole. A half mile later you're getting a strong signal once again from the same cell site even though you are further away. Anyhow because of this, the architecture of cell site implementation is a little different out here. Basically they put a lot of small low power sites in a lot of places (to cover "holes") rather than a single big-honkin' powerful site to cover a large area, like in the East. So... you're relying on the backhaul coming into that bank building, office building, telephone pole, or whatever structure that the small low power antennas are mounted on. Bottom line... ~4mbps up/dn LTE speeds. But hey, I'm not complaining. I'm too old not to realize just how good ~4mbps speed is. It's good. And previously unheard of on cell phones. Still cool.

-Frank
    Verizon has ridiculous backhaul on the east coast, all the fiber has been already laid out for their DSL, and FiOS service. I'm going to Sacramento, San Francisco and San Jose next week and I can't wait to test the performance on the west coast.

Here is some more stuff from earlier today:

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On my way to Northern California. Will test the network.

Alexandria, VA, where congresscritters go to behave badly
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    A few weeks ago, at a friend's house near Trenton, NJ, I ran Speedtest on the phone and got 27500 kbps down, 3662 kbps up, and 121 ms ping. Just now, in the Watergate complex in DC, I got 23305 kbps down, 2579 kbps up, and 84 ms ping.
    If you lived in this signature, you'd be home by now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok just got back from California, and had a ton of testing done. Used both ThnderBolt and UML290 with ThunderBolt's SIM.
    West coast = incredible upload and latency on Verizon's LTE network. Download seems to be more controlled maxing at about 20mbps to 30mbps. Ping was as low as 27ms on the first few hops, and I've gotten 31ms on Speedtest.net.
    Here are some screenshots:

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Also, I think Verizon does some kind of traffic shaping when using smartphone's SIM in AirCard.
    Thunderbolt tests:
    AirCard + tBold SIM tests:

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All back to normal. The VZaccess software was the cause for slow download speeds. Uninstalled it and installed the previous version. All back to normal.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast