Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Net10 LG900G Google Maps

Phone
    LG900G
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Net10 LG900G Google Maps

I tried search but have not been able to find much regarding the following.

I've installed Google Maps. Generally it seems to work OK. My question pertains to "My Location". I realize that this feature is cell tower rather than GPS based.

Does the location feature actually work for anyone? Most frequently I see "unavailable". However, sometimes it reports me as either in California or Florida when I am in the middle of Pennsylvania.

Am I missing something or will this feature simply not function properly on this phone?
    Last edited by gzrx; 03-18-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: fixin' typos
    Luddite geezer

Phones
    IPHONE 4S
    IPHONE 4S
    Carrier
    SPRINT
    Feedback Score
    i downloaded it to my phone last month to try and had the same problems as you - "my location" was showing me in new york city when i am in miss.!! i gave it a few days trying it off and on hoping it would update somehow but it never did so i deleted it. it said that feature was BETA so it looks like the kinks are still going to have to be worked out.

Phone
    LG900G
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm gonna hang on to the app for awhile. Perhaps they'll get it sorted eventually.

Carriers
    net10
    Feedback Score

How do you find and install Google Maps on the Net10 LG 900g?

If I go to

Browser > Downloads >

1. ringtones and graphics

2. games

Either one I get told that I dont have money in the net10 system so I have to give them money first. (paraphrased)

I have the $50 monthly unlimited plan.

edit: it took me 8 mins to get the answer from "games".

-- This is the manual for the LG 900g (sic) phone.
    http://img.orange.sk/orange_sk/data/...erguide,en.pdf
    Last edited by ogeneyes; 03-28-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: moar

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    The $50 goes towards paying for the unlimited plan. But the unlimited plan does not include 'all you can eat' so to speak on ringtones, graphics and games. For that you have to add more to the account. This is the same on my other prepaid MNVO.

And yep lotta minutes get eaten up quick when browsing with a TF/Net10/ST phone. Good thing you have 'unlimited'

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Doens't work for me either....

I'm in CA and when I launch Google Maps, it doesn't know where I am either. I'm guessing it's because the LG900G isn't communicating correctly w/ Google Maps software.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Google maps requires GPS. LG900G does not have it.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

doh

Doh!

Thx.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    K-L-M,
    I'm pretty sure it uses tower locations and possible triangulation because it finds my location on my Trac LG500G and I'm pretty sure there is no GPS on that model either. If you try to zoom in or out on my LG500G it crashes due to lack of memory but at least it can tell me where I am. Maybe Trac can get the tower info and Net10 can't? It won't give me my location on my LG900G either.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Does it find your location down to the street? If not it would be hard to do 'flight following' If it does, then you would seem to have the golden 500! Maybe some more 500 users will have a look here and report.

By chance are you 'logging in' when accessing maps? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask. Maybe it picks up on a pre-supplied zip code.

Trac and Net10 use the same carriers, and both have the same proprietary software overlay so it's hard to envision TF being able to get tower info over a Net10 version.

That's good you tried it on your 900 to see what happened. I took my smartphone, and changed the usearagent brower ID to emulate a Motola Razar (no GPS in that, yet the GPS is on in my phone). It put me in Canada. Two days ago, the same test put me in Texas. Go fish google, cause you're not getting any warmer

If the LG900G did have GPS, the next thing that would need to be overcome is Net10 locking out java permissions all over the place for apps to access the nice features of the phone. We can only hope they do some day on future phones.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    K-L-M,
    No, it doesn't get to the street level, more like a mile circle it thinks you're in. No I don't log in I just run the app so I think it bases its location on the tower information. I just hope Google keeps working on it, would be nice if the accuracy was to the street level but without GPS that probably won't happen.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hi BobbyLee- Just a quick note to say thanks for coming back to us on the level of localization you observed with maps.

Carriers
    net10
    Feedback Score
    I've given up on Net10. I got $50-flat-monthly for unlimited and no-contract (talk text web (limited 4G, unlimited edge)) on another carrier who is fighting with ATT, and I hope winning.

Plus walking by the store I saw $69.99 for unlimited all for 2 phonelines, family plan. I didnt ask for details.

I dont drop calls. I can dial 511. I can send pictures. The web works faster. (Better but that might be the phone.) When you start you can get a $100 comet phone. (They didnt tell me it was only when you start but since them I've gotten to play around what's available.)

And so I am definitely happier. And my Net10 LG900G is a wide angle camera. Could play MP3's. Takes video. Cool toy. Cost me a net of $15.
    -- This is the manual for the LG 900g (sic) phone.
    http://img.orange.sk/orange_sk/data/pomoc_a_podpora/LG_GW300_userguide,en.pdf

Thank you,
    OgenEyes

Phones
    IPHONE 4s, 3GS
    IPHONE 4s, IPHONE 3GS,
    Carrier
    NET10
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ogeneyes View Post
    I've given up on Net10. I got $50-flat-monthly for unlimited and no-contract (talk text web (limited 4G, unlimited edge)) on another carrier who is fighting with ATT, and I hope winning.

Plus walking by the store I saw $69.99 for unlimited all for 2 phonelines, family plan. I didnt ask for details.

I dont drop calls. I can dial 511. I can send pictures. The web works faster. (Better but that might be the phone.) When you start you can get a $100 comet phone. (They didnt tell me it was only when you start but since them I've gotten to play around what's available.)

And so I am definitely happier. And my Net10 LG900G is a wide angle camera. Could play MP3's. Takes video. Cool toy. Cost me a net of $15.
    NET10 seems pretty good for me, and so does the LG900G

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

ebay feedback above

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Phones
    BlackBerry Z10
    BlackBerry Z10
    HKC Tablet
    Carriers
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    is there a signed version? the unsigned screens are quite annoying...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast