Thread: Preinstalled app update size

Feedback Score

Preinstalled app update size

I noticed that whenever there is an update for one of the preinstalled bloatware apps , like Poynt for instance, that it just adds the new updated version without uninstalling the older version so that you end up with the app size that is the original preinstalled app size + the update size.

here is an example.. google maps is listed as 3.05MB on my Optimus. the market says there is an update for the app and the newer version is 5.9MB. I downloaded the update and now the app says its almost 9 MB!

I guess the original app doesnt get deleted and replaced since its on the "system" side of phone memory and the update (newer version) gets installed on the normal phone memory used for downloaded apps?

If you are rooted, it is safe to uninstall system app first, then reinstall updated version using market download? will this screw anything up?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand the preinstalled apps are stuck on the phone and can't be over written. That's why they stick around. There are ways to remove all the preinstalled apps if you are rooted. Google around because I think there is a specific way you have to do it.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Get rooted, install this stock app removal tool, http://roc-city.com/android/SdxAppRemoval-1.5.apk back up whatever app you want to remove (through the tool) and then remove it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gvc View Post
    I noticed that whenever there is an update for one of the preinstalled bloatware apps , like Poynt for instance, that it just adds the new updated version without uninstalling the older version so that you end up with the app size that is the original preinstalled app size + the update size.

here is an example.. google maps is listed as 3.05MB on my Optimus. the market says there is an update for the app and the newer version is 5.9MB. I downloaded the update and now the app says its almost 9 MB!

I guess the original app doesnt get deleted and replaced since its on the "system" side of phone memory and the update (newer version) gets installed on the normal phone memory used for downloaded apps?

If you are rooted, it is safe to uninstall system app first, then reinstall updated version using market download? will this screw anything up?
    Sorry to hijack, but did you notice any improvement with the Google Map update? Is it worth the download to upgrade?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idbl_fanatic View Post
    Get rooted, install this stock app removal tool, http://roc-city.com/android/SdxAppRemoval-1.5.apk back up whatever app you want to remove (through the tool) and then remove it.
    is it safe to delete google maps?...I think I read not to touch anything google related for fear of messing up the phone somehow.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I deleted google maps, then reinstalled it, and moved it to the SD card, works fine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idbl_fanatic View Post
    I deleted google maps, then reinstalled it, and moved it to the SD card, works fine
    thank you. let me ask another question about deleting preinstalled stock apps.. will they need to be reinstalled on the phone down the road before being able to update to Gingerbread OTA , assuming virgin gets it for the optimus?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gvc View Post
    thank you. let me ask another question about deleting preinstalled stock apps.. will they need to be reinstalled on the phone down the road before being able to update to Gingerbread OTA , assuming virgin gets it for the optimus?
    That I do not know, maybe someone else can chime in on that.