Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Buy the Thunderbolt now or wait a few weeks for the Bionic?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,850
    Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0

    Buy the Thunderbolt now or wait a few weeks for the Bionic?

    I just read somewhere that the Motorola Droid Bionic launch date could be just 3 weeks away... even if it comes out in 5 or 6 weeks...

    http://androidcommunity.com/droid-bi...izon-20110318/

    While they didn’t get TOO specific as they weren’t 100% sure, they did, these Verizon people, tell us that the phone would be released somewhere around mid-April. This is a phone that’s got a front and rear-facing camera, the read totaling up to 8 megapixels of fury, with a 4.3-inch qHD touchscreen display up front. And it’s connected to the network’s 4G LTE network, the one we’re all freaking out over with the ThunderBolt. Will this phone leave the ThunderBolt obsolete instantly?

    What do you guys think? Thunderbolt now or Bionic soon?

    Advantages? Disadvantages?

    The main reason I want to get a 4G phone now is so that I can have unlimited 4G grandfathered.

    Chances are that it will still be unlimited in 1 month are pretty good, but you never know?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

    School, $5,000/semester | Work

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,954
    Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would wait either way. People seem to be having problems with Thunderbolts. Really a personal preference, although the Bionic has better specs. Go Moto!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,850
    Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    What kind of Thunderbolt problems? Other than battery? Links?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    130
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you need a phone now the Thunderbolt is a solid piece of hardware. But if you have a functional phone I think it's worthwhile to wait to see what the early reviews of the Droid Bionic and Samsung Stealth say. I'm also interested in the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Infuse and hope the offers CDMA versions of them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,850
    Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, I have plenty of good working phones for now.

    But my main reasoning was to get unlimited 3G AND 4G grandfathered in. Have a feeling it might go away soon.

    Also have the talk & text + data promo, and for now the promo works with the T-Bolt plan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,545
    Device(s)
    Bold 9650 (current)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    What exactly is the point to be grandfathered into unlimited data? Is the price for 5GB supposed to go up? Or, if you struggle to use anywhere near 5GB, wouldn't a lesser tier be cheaper anyway?

    Speaking of grandfathering, Verizon wants me to change my (cheapest possible) voice plan to get a Thunderbolt because my current plan "isn't compatible with the Thunderbolt." Right. Only because they say so. Nothing to do with the technical side of things.

    Are there other battery issues aside from going from full to empty in a matter of hours?
    BlackBerry cherry popped on May 6, 2008.

    Spelling cheat sheet
    *supposedly
    *definitely
    *you're
    *literally (just don't use it)
    *might as well
    *prima donna
    *wrong place, right time
    *couldn't care less

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,850
    Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Correct, 5GB is not enough. Especially on 4G where I am more likely to hit 'watch in HQ' on youtube and use more data as my average 3G speed is about 1mbps, but on 4G people are hitting 50mbps... think about how much you can use... 5GB in an hour, easily.

    But just streaming Pandora all day @ work = 7GB/mo alone. Which is what my friend does on VZW 3G.

    I have never hit 5GB yet but I don't use as much data as I may in the future. I spend more time talking on the phone. Now with the ability to surf AND talk, that could change my usage pattern as well.

    But what makes you say they are going to do 5GB @ $29.99 anyway? AT&T charges $25.00 for only 2GB, and $10 per additional GB. Cricket only gives you 1GB until they start throttling you. So.... did you hear somewhere that 5GB will replace the unlimited for $29.99?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,545
    Device(s)
    Bold 9650 (current)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    No, 5GB is the unlimited. It isn't truly unlimited.

    Isn't AT&T's "4G" network is their old 3G network renamed? Their prices do concern me. Verizon is expensive for sure, and I imagine they'll milk us for all they can. Maybe when the Bionic rolls around, they can work with me. The Bionic has a larger battery at least.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,952
    Device(s)
    Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSNeptune View Post
    Speaking of grandfathering, Verizon wants me to change my (cheapest possible) voice plan to get a Thunderbolt because my current plan "isn't compatible with the Thunderbolt." Right. Only because they say so. Nothing to do with the technical side of things.
    Same here. I have an old grandfathered voice plan and I can't purchase the Thunderbolt without changing to a Nationwide calling plan. This is definitely new. Before you could always buy a smartphone on any voice plan because you had to buy the data plan anyway. You've always had to upgrade your voice plan if you wanted to buy a feature phone with an HTML browser or a "multimedia" phone but it had never applied to a smartphone. Apparently now it does. Bummer! I have a 1000 Anytime minute voice plan for $40/month that I don't want to give up. I guess I will have to now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    31
    Carrier(s)
    VzW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Go over to the Moto forum and read what some of the OG sources are saying about the Bionic...doesn't sound like its doing too well (via multiple sources too). Buzzkill for me bc that was what I was looking to get as well.

    My mother...who is happy as can be with her BB Tour has an upgrade I am itching to use...and think I might blow it on the TB while I wait for the Targa or hopefully Bionic

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,498
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSNeptune View Post
    No, 5GB is the unlimited. It isn't truly unlimited.
    No it isn't. It used to be 5 GB allowance for aircards or tethering. With smartphones that you are not tethering, unlimited means unlimited. There are people who use upwards of 20 GB without a problem. I personally have used upwards of 10 GB in a month and haven't had any issues with being warned or being throttled.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,325
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSNeptune View Post
    No, 5GB is the unlimited. It isn't truly unlimited.

    Isn't AT&T's "4G" network is their old 3G network renamed? Their prices do concern me. Verizon is expensive for sure, and I imagine they'll milk us for all they can. Maybe when the Bionic rolls around, they can work with me. The Bionic has a larger battery at least.
    I'm sorry, but please stop spreading this misinformation around. This is why this question ends up getting asked so much--because other people that have no idea claim it's true.

    On Verizon's network, unlimited data is unlimited. No ands ifs or buts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,325
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    Same here. I have an old grandfathered voice plan and I can't purchase the Thunderbolt without changing to a Nationwide calling plan. This is definitely new. Before you could always buy a smartphone on any voice plan because you had to buy the data plan anyway. You've always had to upgrade your voice plan if you wanted to buy a feature phone with an HTML browser or a "multimedia" phone but it had never applied to a smartphone. Apparently now it does. Bummer! I have a 1000 Anytime minute voice plan for $40/month that I don't want to give up. I guess I will have to now.
    I wouldn't believe them. Like you said, data is separate...it shouldn't affect your voice plan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,954
    Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Phone arena mentioned discolored displayed and crackling. Another thing to consider is the fact that the thunderbolt has obsolecence built in as phonedog put it. It missed getting the coveted Droid title due to it's slow singlecore processor.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,299
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSNeptune View Post
    What exactly is the point to be grandfathered into unlimited data? Is the price for 5GB supposed to go up? Or, if you struggle to use anywhere near 5GB, wouldn't a lesser tier be cheaper anyway?

    Speaking of grandfathering, Verizon wants me to change my (cheapest possible) voice plan to get a Thunderbolt because my current plan "isn't compatible with the Thunderbolt." Right. Only because they say so. Nothing to do with the technical side of things.

    Are there other battery issues aside from going from full to empty in a matter of hours?
    What voice plan do you have? I have a voice plan from 2003 and I didn't have to change it to get the Thunderbolt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
  3. The new motorola bionic
    By darc in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM
  4. MT4G Now or wait a couple of weeks?
    By Vikingbro in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks