Thread: T-Mobile IMEI Blocking & Options

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile IMEI Blocking & Options

Don't get me wrong, I love T-Mobile. Unfortunately financial hard times has forced me to default on my contract next month. I've heard talk in recent years of T-Mobile blocking handsets (IMEI) for unpaid bills. I love my phone and I'd like to take it somewhere else.

I have a Motorola Cliq XT that I will get unlocked once my service is cut off. I've been hearing about a MVNO called Simple Mobile which resells on T-Mobile, a rare GSM reseller in the USA. I've also been hearing stories about T-Mobile and Simple Mobile sharing IMEI blacklists since they're simply a reseller.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does T-Mobile block IMEI's for unpaid bills?
    2) Can I use my (blocked?) T-Mobile unlocked phone on AT&T's prepaid network?

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you didn't get this phone on a payment plan I wouldn't worry about it

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by methamp View Post

1) Does T-Mobile block IMEI's for unpaid bills?
    2) Can I use my (blocked?) T-Mobile unlocked phone on AT&T's prepaid network?
    1) There was a rumor they were going to do that for unpaid installment plans, but no real reports that they actually did.

2) I have not heard of any reports of sharing blacklists between carriers. The other carrier will happily take your money.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I've been looking at T-Mobile's Prepaid Plans and they look very appealing! If in fact T-Mobile doesn't block IMEI's for unpaid postpaid account bills (I got my Motorola Cliq XT "FREE" after discounts, $0.00 was billed for the device), I can turn around and stick it on a T-Mobile Prepaid $70/mo unlimited plan and continue using it without having to purchase an expensive "prepaid" T-Mobile smartphone?

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    And guys, let me just clear this up. I'm really not trying to "scam" T-Mobile out of anything. My bill got out of control, I can't afford to pay it, and I'm simply seeking other options. It'll go on my credit and I will have it paid as soon as I possibly can. But in the meantime, it's hard finding a new job without a phone number.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    have you simply tried calling and speaking to financial care to work out a payment plan so you can keep what you have now, resolve your debt, and not have anything go on your credit?
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: CenturyLink DSL at Home

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If you can afford $70/mo prepaid plan, how can you not pay your current bill?

Sent from my Vibrant

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    5 lines... :-/

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    5 lines... :-/
    Your CLIQ was free, not on any payment plan. T-Mobile has only blocked phones that have been purchased on a payment plan (Equipment Installment Plan) and that have been defaulted on. Your phone was obviously not. Even so, the CLIQ XT is not expensive to replace by any means..

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    So all that I've been reading has to do with EIP where they have a "lien" on the device? I think I've got it now.

Thank you all so very much!

Feedback Score
    Not to hijack the thread, but I recently was given a phone from my father as a gift that he bought on craigslist and when I contacted tmobile the phone apparently was blocked due to it being "EIP" my question is how can I go about getting this lifted? I don't find it right that I have to be stuck with an expensive paperweight when it was not me who defaulted on the account, but the other individual.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS (iOS 6.1)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Under EIP, T-Mobile owns your device until all the required payments have been made towards the device price. That's how they are able to block it.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rem152 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I recently was given a phone from my father as a gift that he bought on craigslist and when I contacted tmobile the phone apparently was blocked due to it being "EIP" my question is how can I go about getting this lifted? I don't find it right that I have to be stuck with an expensive paperweight when it was not me who defaulted on the account, but the other individual.
    Its unfortunate but you run that risk when buying on Craigslist. Your only real choice now is to unlock it and use it on AT&T or an AT&T MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Under EIP, T-Mobile owns your device until all the required payments have been made towards the device price.
    This is false information. T-Mobile doesn't own anything. Rem152 is the rightful owner of the device.

Unfortunately T-Mobile is engaging in their policy of burning quality customers by not permitting them to use the devices that they rightfully own. His father was trying to buy his son a gift. T-Mobile does not let the general public know that they should be cautious of buying pre-owned devices.

As silentjudge stated, paying to have the device unlocked is one option. Although if it doesn't have AT&T's 3G bands it would have limited value to AT&T customers. In that case, you could also try to sell the device to a Canadian who's provider uses AWS.

But you will get zero help from T-Mobile. Their lack of assistance has been covered extensively in the thread regarding this subject:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...MEI-is-blocked

Feedback Score
    Would there be any legal recourse that I could take either against T-Mobile or the individual who sold the phone? I mean to some extent the phone was technically stolen property due to the fact the account was deffaulted on and the item was sold as such... When I spoke to T-Mobile they stated that until the account is brought up to date the phone will be locked, but what has me perplexed is the fact the account was defaulted on which leads me to believe that the account will be sent to collections in turn meaing that T-Mobile sold off the account to a private collection company meaning that its a write off or am I mistaken?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast