Thread: Straight talk E71 and $30 card ?

Feedback Score

Straight talk E71 and $30 card ?

Does anyone know a way set up a $30 card on a straight talk e71 ? I love the E-71 phone for texting, phone calls and checking email once and awhile but I really dont need unlimited and I dont like there cheaper phones that work with the $30 plan. any idea's how to make the $30 card work on this phone?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inrs23 View Post
    Does anyone know a way set up a $30 card on a straight talk e71 ? I love the E-71 phone for texting, phone calls and checking email once and awhile but I really dont need unlimited and I dont like there cheaper phones that work with the $30 plan. any idea's how to make the $30 card work on this phone?
    There is NO way it can be used.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is no way. The lower priced plans are wedded to specific phone models and SIM cards. The SIM cards will not work in other phones. The SIM card in the Nokia E71 will work in other phones but there is only one plan available for that phone on Straight Talk.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    If you really want an E71 with a cheaper plan, you can sell/return the Straight Talk one (it's impossible to unlock) buy an unlocked E71 and use Simple Mobile, H20, GoPhone, T-Mobile or any other GSM prepaid service that has a wider selection of less expensive plans.

If you specifically want the $30 Straight Talk plan, you'll have to use a phone they allow to be used with that plan.

Carriers
    Callcentric: Nokia
    Feedback Score
    If I bought the $30 plan for the lesser GSM phone, would they know \ would it work when I pop the SIM in my unlocked E71x?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorback View Post
    If I bought the $30 plan for the lesser GSM phone, would they know \ would it work when I pop the SIM in my unlocked E71x?
    No, the SIM cards for the cheaper phones are all locked.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    Just curious...
    What if he buys an E71 and activates it with the unlimited plan, then when it's time to add a new card in a month he just buys a $30 card and adds it instead of an unlimited card (then continues to use $30 cards thereafter)?

Would that scenario be feasible?

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    You cannot buy a 30 card with an e71, case closed. I have one, I know.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The premise from which we worked at the beginning of this all, is that the weird ST SIM had half of some program code that worked with the other half in their handset. This explained the ability to swap SIM cards between lesser phones, but not "outside" of the ST family.

IF this assumption is true, it does imply that the lesser SIM can be used in any ST phone. IF the e71 has the necessary program code, it *might* support the lesser SIM.

Has anyone actually tried the lesser SIM in the e71?

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckknight View Post
    Has anyone actually tried the lesser SIM in the e71?
    Yes. It's a no go in either of the Nokia smartphones.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well that's that.

Carriers
    Callcentric: Nokia
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
    No, the SIM cards for the cheaper phones are all locked.
    I have a T-mobile SIM card that requires a PIN to access the SIM data. It the $30 StraightTalk SIM locked in this sense, or does it using a different protocol to prevent smartphone usage?

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge, noone has ever disassembled the coding of the lower-end ST SIM sufficiently to answer that question, however some general assumptions can be made through observation.

The locked SIM cards cannot be switched between devices. When activated, they seem to latch onto the handset in which they were originally activated, implying some sort of program code attaching it to the IMEI of the individual handset, not just the model. ATT has used a similar system in their GoPhone SIM, so the precedent exists.

The few SIM cards that did successfully switch between handsets did so between unlocked TracFone branded handsets, further implying a presence of some sort of code. The SIM would have to check for carrier (TF) and IMEI...the unlocked handsets that reportedly worked were old, low end Nokia units, which perhaps did not support reporting of their IMEI for the subsequent check?

The Nokia smartphone SIM is actually a different SIM, with different internal programming. It is a standard SIM that is usable in unlocked handsets, or locked handsets by the carriers TracFone/ST, ATT, and reportedly TMobile. There is no "funny stuff" going on in its programming code, from what we can tell...it's a standard, unlocked SIM card that works in the normal way that SIMs should.