Actually, a non-activated phone is fine so long as the IMEI is clear. I posted in an earlier thread how to use Straight Talk's website to check an IMEI and what the resulting error messages mean.
Got several request to change the title of my original post here . I cant change it so I just repost with new title, hopefully will be better suited and easier on search. REMEMBER, do this at your own risk!
ps: if you succeeded using this info, please reply and add your own experience to help more
As promised, below is my steps getting ST nokia E71 and nokia 6790 from ebay to work on ST. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! is risky but its doable:
* Find ST phones on ebay (nokia e71 or nokia 6790 ONLY) price will be higher now since there is indication that ST is out of stock or stop selling these phones
* Only buy phone that have IMEI posted AND activated before. You HAVE to call ST or use straightTalk.com website to try to activate the imei provided. It the imei is activated and belong to another person than its pretty good to get it reactivate under your name.
* The reason you want activated is to avoid buying stolen or not scanned phone. DO NOT BUY NON ACTIVATED PHONE!
* Most seller in ebay will not warranty ST phones, its okay as long as they provided imei number for you to check. Please DO NOT BLAME ebay seller but your self if you dont do you home work and verify the imei.
* Simcard is NOT important as you probably be issued a new simcard when you activate the phone under your name
* When phone is on hand, quickly call ST 1-866-277-4089. This is their direct line to their 2nd level Rep. Tell them up front that you bought the phone used from Ebay and want to reactivate to your name and port number to it.
* if they say no, call back again and try. I did twice and all approved
* If they okay it, then you answer their questions to set it up. At some point, they will get to the part where they need to send you a NEW SIMCARD. Please make sure you mention you want $45 unlimited plan! or it wont work!!!!!!! Dont forget to ask for the ticket number
* in 48hrs (Mon-Friday) you will get the simcard overnight to you using fedex. Call back above number and provide the ticket number to the rep. Tell them you get the new simcard and need the new simcard activated. If they encounter system error, remind them again about the new simcard and ask if its activated or not.
* if all ok, your phone will be ready in few minutes. For me, I ported from TMobile. Make sure to provide tmobile account (from billing) and account pin (usually last 4 digits of SS). My numbers ported in 15 minutes after I hang up. Yes 15 minutes for BOTH PHONES!!
* Now your phone and simcard is ready on ST. I keep my phones and use the simcard in 2 iphone4 . work like a charm using the steps posted here as well.
To be honest the process was a bit pain in the arse at the beginning. I tried their facebook support, ST published numbers and even Tracfone/Net10 Customer Service to no avail. EVERY ONE of them is clueless until I manage to get one of the rep to transfer me to 2nd level. From there on all is smooth sailing and 2nd level told me 1-866-277-4089 to call back
Ok. So there you can save some money by going the ebay route. Please do your homework before you buy phones from ebay.
I tried the method you outlined in the earlier post and got another reply after entering the IMEI and zip code. It says,
"Please enter the SIM card number found in your Straight Talk phone's Prepaid Menu.This number starts with 89.
PLEASE NOTE: If your phone is a Nokia 6790 or E71, the SIM number will ONLY be displayed on the back of the SIM card. To view the SIM instruction please click the help link.
Enter SIM:___________ "
I have a new SIM from ST but have not put it in the phone or entered the number in response to the above "step". I'd really just like to know if the phone is clear, but really dont want to activate it now as I have other service for a while. Thoughts?
By "non-activated" I think he means a phone that was not initialized at the time of purchased. This means if someone steals an E71 from Wal-Mart and lists it for sale on eBay and you buy it, you're screwed.
Also, hooray, I don't work at Wal-Mart anymore!
@drooper, the new replacement simcard is USELESS until you call the number I provided above and get the rep to activate the simcard. The website activation posted by gotatmp3 is perfect to check the status of the phone. Have to use the phone number posted by me to get all this work out. at least for me.... twice
1. Return fraud: Someone buys an E71, it dies (or falls in the toilet, etc.) on them outside of the return period so they buy a new one and put the broken one back in the box and bring it all back to Walmart. Upon discovering that their SIM is now deactivated and their fraudulently obtained E71 won't activate, they put it on eBay "as is".
2. Returned phones: Somehow, returned merchandise ends up on eBay. I'm not sure of all the details, but it probably involves theft at some point. Anyway, they're deactivated by being scanned at the register when they were returned and they can't be used, either.
Those are the phones to avoid at all costs, as Straight Talk will flat out refuse to ever activate a phone that wasn't scanned at the time of purchase.
I called straight talk and they told me any straightalk phone can be activated so why do I need the imei or what ever it is
tracfancier is right, ST will NOT activate these phones (ST CS is flaky at best, and this forum has more collective wisdom and a better understanding of ST, than some of ST's own CS). You can get a St unlocked sim from St now, for both ATT and T mo, so the sim swap is moot, unless you plan to use the nokia E71.
Go the regular route and save yourself some heartache.