Thread: how to tell if iPhone is jailbreak or software unlocked?

Phone
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

how to tell if iPhone is jailbreak or software unlocked?

im a iphone noob and about to make a trade for a used iphone 3gs and was just wondering if there is a way to find out if the phone is unlocked using software? i ask because i was told it was a telus iphone and wanted to make sure thats what im getting. its going to be for my sister so i dont want her to have to deal with any software unlock thats may be on the phone. thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by neotekz View Post
    im a iphone noob and about to make a trade for a used iphone 3gs and was just wondering if there is a way to find out if the phone is unlocked using software? i ask because i was told it was a telus iphone and wanted to make sure thats what im getting. its going to be for my sister so i dont want her to have to deal with any software unlock thats may be on the phone. thanks.
    Safest way is to bring a sim from 2 providers.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Safest way is to bring a sim from 2 providers.
    So if it works with both SIMs, how would that tell you whether it's an officially unlocked phone or one that was unlocked via a software exploit?

OP: If it's properly unlocked by Apple, it should remain unlocked after a restore, so ask that the seller restore the phone and then make sure there are no extra icons on the home screen, particularly Cydia or any other jailbroken apps.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    HTC Kaiser
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks guys, i was told it was not unlocked so i will test it with a fido sim. the cydia icon if its there will be in one of the homescreen and not hidden in app drawer?

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Actually if Cydia is there, open it up and see if Ultrasn0w is installed. If it is, uninstall it, reboot the phone, and try your SIM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Actually if Cydia is there, open it up and see if Ultrasn0w is installed. If it is, uninstall it, reboot the phone, and try your SIM.
    This is the best way.
    Currently listening to: Oli G - Orchid

Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Pi ra cy discussions are not allowed here.
    You are ban ned!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    So if it works with both SIMs, how would that tell you whether it's an officially unlocked phone or one that was unlocked via a software exploit?

OP: If it's properly unlocked by Apple, it should remain unlocked after a restore, so ask that the seller restore the phone and then make sure there are no extra icons on the home screen, particularly Cydia or any other jailbroken apps.
    He never said it was unlocked, he wanted to make sure it wasnt software unlocked and said it was supposed to be a Telus phone, thus I suggested 2 sims. Telus and other.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it's the best way to tell if it is unlocked by software only if they are not hiding cydia.
    In my life I've come to realize (a long time ago) many people are scumbags and as such would do things like jailbreak, install ultrasn0w, hide cydia and then say it was hardware unlocked.
    You can use spotlight to search for cydia then check to see if ultrasn0w is installed but really the best way would be to bring a computer, restore the phone right there and see if another carrier's sim works.
    Just download the firmware file before going so it's all set to run.

This would also be a good method for the op.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    He never said it was unlocked, he wanted to make sure it wasnt software unlocked and said it was supposed to be a Telus phone, thus I suggested 2 sims. Telus and other.
    Again, the OP declared his iPhone noobness from the start, so if both SIM cards worked, this method would not allow him to determine what carrier the phone is originally locked to.

If only the Telus SIM card works, then it is safe to say that it is originally locked to Telus which works for the OP's sister. If both SIM cards work, OP, then do a spotlight search (go to the far left screen and type) for Cydia, open it up, uninstall ultrasn0w, and reboot the phone, then test the SIM cards. Also, it's a very good idea to check and see what baseband the iPhone is on. This is done from Settings -> General -> About and scroll down to the bottom - look at "Modem Firmware".

The baseband could be:
    04.26.08 * (iOS 3.0)
    05.11.07 * (iOS 3.1 - 3.1.2)
    05.12.01 * (iOS 3.1.3)
    05.13.04 * (iOS 4.0, 4.0.1)
    05.14.02 ** (iOS 4.1)
    05.15.04 ** (iOS 4.2.1)
    05.16.01 ** (iOS 4.3)
    06.15.00 (!!**!!)

* - unlockable baseband
    ** - not unlockable via software exploit (As of March 21, 2011)
    (!!**!!) - unlockable iPad baseband, do not get any iPhone with this BB. It has been known to affect GPS functionality and is currently an unchangeable modification.

Basically if the iOS version is >= 4.1 then it's not possible to unlock via ultrasn0w and so you don't even need to check.

Also on a side note, a seller has very little reason to lie about which carrier the phone is locked to.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another option is to erase all content from the settings menu. That'll jack up any jb/unlock. Legit unlocks stay after that. I only mention it, because of the number of idiot posts I've seen from people who used this and lost their newly purchased jb/unlock.
    Granted, this method'll screw up a software unlock, but the seller shouldn't have said factory unlock, right?

Phones
    Iphone 4
    LG Eve
    Iphone 3GS
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Basically if the iOS version is >= 4.1 then it's not possible to unlock via ultrasn0w and so you don't even need to check.

Also on a side note, a seller has very little reason to lie about which carrier the phone is locked to.
    The IOS could have been upgraded but baseband maintained if they upgraded using snowbreeze.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But that's not a factory unlock. The OP has a dim relative, who is likely to accidentally upgrade. That's why s/he needs to know if it's factory or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by goofball2k View Post
    The IOS could have been upgraded but baseband maintained if they upgraded using snowbreeze.