Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What will happen to our grandfathered plans?

Feedback Score

What will happen to our grandfathered plans?

Merging won't occur until at LEAST a year from now. When it does happen, however, what do you expect the policy will be?

All T-mobile customers must switch over to new plans? Grandfathered plans all canceled? What about 3G incompatibilities? Have some fun and voice your thoughts!

From http://www.mobilizeeverything.com/consumers.php

1. How will this transaction benefit U.S. wireless consumers?

AT&T can commit to extending its 4G LTE build to 46.5 million additional people, including rural and smaller communities – roughly equivalent to the combined populations of the states of New York and Texas.
    Expands network capacity and output available to customers, which will not only improve service but ensure continued competitive pricing and innovation. 4G LTE service will be available to T-Mobile’s 34 million subscribers, a win for consumers.
    Expanding AT&T’s 4G LTE network will help the U.S. continue to lead the world in building and benefiting from next-generation mobile broadband capabilities, deploying infrastructure critical to attracting investment, growing America’s economy and creating new jobs.

2. What impact will this transaction have on pricing for wireless customers?

The U.S. is one of the most competitive wireless markets in the world.
    And this is an enormously efficiency-enhancing merger due to the complementary spectrum, network and operations of both parties.
    From 1999-2009, a period during which there were several sizeable wireless mergers also designed to gain efficiencies and synergies, prices dropped by 50% while services, features and functionality expanded.

3. Will the availability of plans change?

Until the completion of the transaction, the companies will continue to operate independently. Availability of voice and data plans for AT&T and T-Mobile customers will be up to each company. Once the transaction closes, AT&T expects to share more specific details with its customers.
    In prior transactions, AT&T generally allowed customers to keep their current rate plans for some period of time and allowed them to choose a comparable device at no charge if their device was not compatible with the network.

4. I am a T-Mobile customer. What will change for me?

This transaction itself will not have any impact on existing customers because until all regulatory approvals are obtained, the companies must continue to operate independently. We anticipate the transaction will take approximately 12 months to close.
    Once the transaction closes, T-Mobile customers will gain access to the benefits of AT&T’s network:
    The nation’s fastest mobile broadband network getting faster with 4G speeds.
    Access to an ever-expanding 4G LTE network
    Broad portfolio of popular devices, including smartphones and tablets
    Expanded free mobile-to-mobile calling (more than 100 million customers)
    Access to 24,000+ Wi-Fi hotspots at no charge as a smartphone customer

5. I am an AT&T customer. What will change for me?

This transaction itself will not have any impact on existing customers because until all regulatory approvals are obtained, the companies must continue to operate independently. We anticipate the transaction will take approximately 12 months to close.
    Last edited by nexus14; 03-20-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Phones
    Casio G'zOne Boulder in Orange with front speaker on The Network baby!
    Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray on AT&T
    Sony Ericsson w810i on T-Mobile
    Carriers
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    When you watch something you LOVE so much die such a painful death, it makes moving on IMPOSSIBLE.
    Feedback Score
    I say we're all screwed.....NOT. I think, IF this does get approved in some fashion, that they will have to be REALLY nice with us T-Mobile customers!
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    SGS3, HTC Sensation, Google Nexus One, SE G705, W910, W810, K700i, S710a
    Carriers
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    3. Will the availability of plans change?

Until the completion of the transaction, the companies will continue to operate independently. Availability of voice and data plans for AT&T and T-Mobile customers will be up to each company. Once the transaction closes, AT&T expects to share more specific details with its customers.

In prior transactions, AT&T generally allowed customers to keep their current rate plans for some period of time and allowed them to choose a comparable device at no charge if their device was not compatible with the network.
    source: http://www.mobilizeeverything.com/consumers.php

very vague verbage there...

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    This is still at least 1 year away, if not 2 or more. I wouldn't be worried yet. By then your contract will have expired and they can force you to change rate plans.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Old AT&T Wireless (ATTWS) grandfathered plans and services will be shut down this May, so what would you think?
    It's possible I have to move to VZW with 4 lines, and webconnect will be shut down once the contract expired.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pakraider View Post
    source: http://www.mobilizeeverything.com/consumers.php

very vague verbage there...
    Hmm interesting. Seems they want us to switch over to newer plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Old AT&T Wireless (ATTWS) grandfathered plans and services will be shut down this May, so what would you think?
    It's possible I have to move to VZW with 4 lines, and webconnect will be shut down once the contract expired.
    Scottish, care to share what the old AT&T grandfathered plans were? Were they comparable to what T-mobile had? Just curious.

Phones
    BB Bold 9780
    BB Bold 9700
    BB Curve 8900
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US - myFaves
    Feedback Score
    They will allow us to keep plans for a short while but eventually especially upgrade time, they will force us to migrate or cancel. ATT did it with other mergers, and even their own TDMA users. I hope the regulators reject this because now it's just one GSM carrier here? Bad news.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    4. I am a T-Mobile customer. What will change for me?

Your calls will drop, you will have one way conversations and you will pay more for this! Aint it great?

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    Scottish, care to share what the old AT&T grandfathered plans were? Were they comparable to what T-mobile had? Just curious.
    Check this out
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...amp-T-Customer

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully we start seeing new phones with:

GSM 850
    GSM 900
    GSM 1800
    GSM 1900
    WCDMA 850
    WCDMA 1700
    WCDMA 1900
    WCDMA 2100

So it would make for a smoother transition?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When AT&T merged with Cingular it was a mess. A HUGE mess. No desire to ever relive that.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If AT&T could somehow get Apple to make the iPhone 5 (or more likely 6, since its going to be 1 year for regulatory approval, etc) compatible for both ATT 3G and T-Mobile 3G frequencies, that would definitely help it reduce the load on AT&Ts network.

Phones
    HTC Incredible S
    Google Nexus One
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This sucks for T Mobile customers. I hope these news phones coming to T Mobile (GX2 and Pyramid) work on AT&T and T Mobile 4G network. (Hopefully T Mobile was thinking ahead) That way if you upgrade this year you want be forced to buy an AT&T phone next year. I was thinking about using my upgrade on the Pyramid this summer but it may not be worth it.

This merger news will cause a lot of T Mobile customers to go over to AT&T if they're out of contract but of you're an AT&T customer that was thinking about coming to T Mobile will stay put.

I hope grandfather features rollover with the merger but I doubt it. No more unlimited web 10.00 or less...LOL

Phones
    Mytouch Slide 4g
    G2 (backup)
    TM-506 Backup Backup
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not only grandfathered plans, what about the people on a non contract EM+ plan? Does tmobile REALLY think at&t will keep them?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast