Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid account - What happens if you don't have enough money in your account

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Prepaid account - What happens if you don't have enough money in your account

What happens if you inadvertently on purpose don't top up enough in your account to pay for the next month's plan fee? Can you continue to use your phone but pay strictly on a pay-per-use basis for talk, sms, etc?

I thinking even if I don't ultimately port my Rogers # to Wind, perhaps I can keep my "trial" Wind account alive just to take advantage of the 25 cents US roaming rate.

Phones
    iPhone4
    iPhone5
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I used to be with wind,10 days free incoming calls even with no balance. I couldn't send text though but can receive them.

Phones
    SGS2X
    Nexus One
    BB Bold 9700
    Carriers
    Wind Holiday Miracle
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    As you know, Pay Before clients are required to top up their account before the billing period starts so that on the billing date, the funds can be withdrawn from the account. If one DOES NOT top up by the billing date, then the account goes into suspension. WIND allows for an account to stay in suspension for 90 days at which point the account is closed/cancelled and cannot be reactivated nor topped up. If you decided to top up 1/2 way into the billing cycle, WIND would not require you to top up the full amount as they pro-rate it based on the number of days left in that billing period.

Now knowing the above, if you wanted to keep an account going that you are NOT using without it being cancelled, then you'd follow the method below.

Suppose your billing date is the 1st of the month. Lets also suppose your account is active to be able to make/receive calls today March 15th. This means, that on April 1st, your account would go into suspension as you would have failed to top up enough to continue your service. You have 90 days from this point to reactivate your account before it becomes cancelled. 90 Days from April 1st would bring us to about July 1st. This means we have to top up enough to reactivate the account before it becomes cancelled on July 1st. I recommend about 80-85 days while the account has been in suspension to top up the minimum top up amount of $5. So around June 20th to June 25th, make a top up of $5. On June 28th, WIND will deduct $4 from your $5 balance (leaving you with $1) and your account becomes reactivated for the remaining 3 days left in the June cycle.

Note: Cost per day = $40 Miracle Plan / 30 days in June = $1.33 / day. Topping up $5, means WIND can only reactivate you for the remaining 3 days left in your billing cycle (3 x $1.33 = $4) which is June 28th, June 29th, and June 30th.

The account then goes back into suspension on July 1st. July 1st becomes the new Day 1 of the 90-day suspension cycle. Meaning you have 90 days from then to top up enough to make the account become active (=Oct 1st). Again, 80-85 days into this cycle (Sept 20th to Sept 25th) top up $5 (brings your account balance to $6). WIND withdraws $5.33 on Sept 27th and your account becomes activate for the remaining 4 days left in September (leaving you with $0.67 balance).

Note: $1.33 / day * 4 = $5.33. Account active for Sept 27th, Sept 28th, Sept 29th, Sept 30th.

You'd repeat the above until you are able to use the account full time. This method means the most you'd spend over a year's time is $20 and your account stays active.

Also note, just because you have a cheaper plan than the $40 Miracle Plan, you'd still be required to spend $20/ year as the minimum top up amount is $5 and WIND will always withdraw from the balance on the account as long as you have enough money for the remaining days left in that billing cycle.

djino
    "Hope that makes sense"

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    @jwslaw. Very very interesting. Is that the gospel truth? So, if I'm reading this correctly, as long as I'm within the 90-day period, I can top up with $5 or more each time I need to travel to the US, so I can use the 25 cents/minute roaming rate, rather than pay Robbers almost 6x that rate. Is there a fly in my ointment?

I'm also trying out a Mobilicity line, but Mobi's inactivity/re-activation rules seem much less lenient.

Phones
    SGS2X
    Nexus One
    BB Bold 9700
    Carriers
    Wind Holiday Miracle
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    it's a quote from djino
    to my understanding it's been proven time and time again.

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I may have found the fly in the ointment, at least for my purpose. Specifically, whatever amount I top up with, Wind will take all of it to apply against my plan fee, leaving nothing left for roaming charges.

Feedback Score
    No, the flaw is when account is suspended for the 90 days you cannot send anything (calls or text) except *xxx# messages. This includes pay per use items.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogido View Post
    What happens if you inadvertently on purpose don't top up enough in your account to pay for the next month's plan fee?
    Which person with an ounce of responsibility in her/his system would want to do that?
    You are using a service: Pay for it, or quit using it, but act like a responsible adult . . . .

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As I had wrote the post that was quoted by jwslaw, this would have to be changed slightly to accommodate the OP!.

When an account is suspended, you cannot make calls/receive calls/send SMS/receive SMS/Use data. The exception to this are outgoing calls to WIND(611) and 911. You may also be able to receive SMS from WIND.

If you wanted to use WIND just for roaming purposes, then you would need to top up an additional amount to take care of your pay per use roaming. Yes in my example, I say to top up the minimum top up amount of $5 every quarter. But this would mean your account would only reactivate for the remaining days left in that billing cycle (If $5 satisfies this cost). So if your travel plans do not coincide with the remaining days left in your billing cycle, then you'd need to top up more to take care of those additional days. And this only reactivates your account. You'd then need to top up further to take care of using your phone outside of the WIND ZONE (roaming).

In the end, you might be paying more to use your WIND phone roaming than if you would be by just using your Big 3 plan. Perhaps the best plan is to use your WIND phone and pick up a prepaid SIM CARD from a U.S. Carrier.

djino
    "The point of the post jwslaw quoted is to keep "alive" a plan such is the $40 Miracle Plan, $35 Irresistible, or any of the All in the family plans if you cannot use the account fulltime due to contract obligations with another carrier or coverage issues with WIND. Not really an ideal method to lower the cost of U.S. roaming rates"

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    so as long as you pay up within that 90 days you can keep your plan? whatever it may be (i.e. Irresistible 35)

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice-Of-Reason View Post
    Which person with an ounce of responsibility in her/his system would want to do that?
    You are using a service: Pay for it, or quit using it, but act like a responsible adult . . . .
    Hey. did you actually read what I had posted? I stated very clearly I wanted to keep my Wind account just alive enough to use their low US roaming rate. So Yeah, you can step off your soapbox now.

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    @djino: Thanks. You summed up my situation very acccurately. Basically, unless my US travel schedule regularly (ie. at least every 3 months) coincides with or near the end of my Wind billing cycle, then it may not be cost-effective to keep my Wind account alive for my purpose.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
    so as long as you pay up within that 90 days you can keep your plan? whatever it may be (i.e. Irresistible 35)
    Yes.

djino

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
    Yes. What plan you have makes no difference. The rule is 90 days for ALL customers or else you lose the line and plan. Actually, if you're on Pay After and fail to pay a bill for that long it's the same thing. The difference is you MUST pay for all three months on Pay After.

However, if you're on Pay Before with one of the port-in credit promos and you fail to top up on any given month, you will NOT receive the port-in credit for that month. (You forfeit your right to that credit if your account goes into suspension)

Regards.

FIDO $55 unlimited w/5GB = $44.55 (BYOD 10% + add-a-line 10% discounts, $10/GB overage)
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB soft cap)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carriers
    Bell
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    ^What or how is it determine whether you go on Pay Before or Pay After? Depends on the plan, or is it the customer's choice. I signed up for the $15 Chat. The rep put me on Pay Before, but he never asked me which I preferred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast