Thread: sprint phones on virgin mobile possible?

Feedback Score

sprint phones on virgin mobile possible?

I really, really like the virgin mobile prepaid plan at 25/month for unlimited data+txting and 300 voice.

I'm not impressed with the optimus or intercept so what I wanted to know is can you flash sprint phones like the evo, shift, touch pro 2 over to virgin mobile?

I've read both sides where 1) if you ask virgin mobile directly they'll tell you if it's compatible to flash or 2) they don't allow you to bring your own phone and require a virgin mobile phone.

And even if virgin mobile's stance is no, is it still being done?

I currently have an unlocked HTC HD2 that I want to sell/trade if I can get one of those sprint phones as a result. It would be pointless, however, if I can't flash it to virgin.

forgive me, as this has probably been asked a lot.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Nope, can't do it.

Phones
    LG VM670 Optimus V (current)
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Audiovox CDM-8915 Snapper
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Not legally. Virgin Mobile keeps its own database of ESNs apart from Sprint, and it doesn't let any device on the network unless it has a Virgin ESN. Changing the ESN is considered fraud--kinda like changing the VIN on your car.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wish people would read the actual laws before posting bs. If you took the time to read the law you would see that changing the esn is only illegal if you are doing so to commit a crime such as coloning 2 phones to have service you didn't pay for.

As for it being illegal to modify a phone to make it work on a carrier it was not originally sold to work on, nope that is legal too. An exemption was granted when you are modifying the firmware to make your phone work on a different network. However if you ever sold the phone or did this for someone else you broke the law.

Seriously, read the actual laws instead of just regurgitating what you hear on the internet.

Sent from my Optimus Stalker

Feedback Score

Carriers do not like it

Carriers like to sell phone equipment to its existing customers and new customers. They do not like us to re-use phones from other carriers. In reality, Sprint and Virgin Mobile should allow same phones to work on either carrier as they are one and same in USA. If they allow it, it would allow then to keep their customers if they want to move from Sprint to VM or VM to Sprint but keep the same phone. They can discount phones for new Sprint customers with contract and VM new customers can buy the phone with full price. They could use some software to change the modem/radio from Sprint to VM or VM to Sprint while activating the phone to either carrier.

I would really like to try Sprint Transform with VM unlimited SMS / MMS / Data plan. For that matter Epic too.

But alas! The ground reality is that they do not allow this yet.

Phones
    LG VM670 Optimus V (current)
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Audiovox CDM-8915 Snapper
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredofcontract View Post
    I wish people would read the actual laws before posting bs. If you took the time to read the law you would see that changing the esn is only illegal if you are doing so to commit a crime such as coloning 2 phones to have service you didn't pay for.

As for it being illegal to modify a phone to make it work on a carrier it was not originally sold to work on, nope that is legal too. An exemption was granted when you are modifying the firmware to make your phone work on a different network. However if you ever sold the phone or did this for someone else you broke the law.

Seriously, read the actual laws instead of just regurgitating what you hear on the internet.

Sent from my Optimus Stalker
    ...my bad. Sorry.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is covered in the FAQ.

Whether or not ESN modification is legal is of no issue here--it is against this privately owned forums rules to discuss it.

Thread closed.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.