Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you're out of contract, RUN AWAY FROM AT&T while you can!

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score

If you're out of contract, RUN AWAY FROM AT&T while you can!

I was in the first migration group that transfered in November 2010. I have two lines, both smartphones, and took a Blackberry Curve and an Aria, both of which were free phones offered to us. At the time of transition, one line (my wife's) was under contract, having reuped with Alltel in August 2010 on a 1 year contract. My line was out of contract. After not being able to use my phone at all in my office, I've decided to drop AT&T and go to Verizon. Knowing my wife's line was under contract, I called to find out what the EFT would be. Not only did they tell me that her line was under contract until 8/2012 instead of 8/2011, they told me that my out of contract line was now under contract for two years from the time of transition. I was told I took an upgraded device, which I did not. I asked how I still had my legacy Alltel plan if I took an upgraded device? They could not answer. I asked for proof of my agreeing to a new contract, whether signed, verbal, or electronic, they say they can not provide it. So unless you want to get screwed by AT&T, leave while you can.

Device(s)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is this true, are our contracts renewed automatically for two years at the transition time?

According to AT&T, no:

Q: Have there been any changes to my contract as a result of this merger?
    A: No. At this time, your current terms and conditions still apply.

Q: If I choose not to move to AT&T, will I have to pay an early termination fee (ETF)?
    A: For now, the terms and conditions of your current service agreement remain the same, including any associated early termination fee (ETF). If, after moving to AT&T service, you choose to discontinue that service, you will have a 30-day period to opt out of your contract without an ETF. After that 30-day period, standard AT&T terms apply.

Q: Can I switch to another carrier without paying an Early Termination Fee before my service transitions to AT&T?
    A: Your current contract terms and conditions apply, including those provisions related to Early Termination Fees. If you are no longer subject to a contract, there would be no Early Termination Fee to disconnect.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you call back and talk to a different CS person or supervisor? Something about this doesn't make sense. And just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean others will where they are at.

Also, are you 100% positive you didn't accidentally choose a phone that required an AT&T plan and 2 year contract as some did. What 'smartphone' did you have before? Remember that what Alltel may have considered a smart phone AT&T may not have. Thus the requirement in some cases to require a 2 yr contract. It wasn't hidden but plain as day from what I saw. And every Blackberry I saw required a 2 yr AT&T contract. Something about this doesn't make sense.

Also, what does it show you have for a plan on the AT&T website?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwagner View Post
    Is this true, are our contracts renewed automatically for two years at the transition time?

According to AT&T, no:

Q: Have there been any changes to my contract as a result of this merger?
    A: No. At this time, your current terms and conditions still apply.

Q: If I choose not to move to AT&T, will I have to pay an early termination fee (ETF)?
    A: For now, the terms and conditions of your current service agreement remain the same, including any associated early termination fee (ETF). If, after moving to AT&T service, you choose to discontinue that service, you will have a 30-day period to opt out of your contract without an ETF. After that 30-day period, standard AT&T terms apply.

Q: Can I switch to another carrier without paying an Early Termination Fee before my service transitions to AT&T?
    A: Your current contract terms and conditions apply, including those provisions related to Early Termination Fees. If you are no longer subject to a contract, there would be no Early Termination Fee to disconnect.
    No they are not automatically renewed. Which is why this sounds kinda odd. Especially considering all of the smartphones I saw required a 2 yr AT&T contract. But they may have just been what my requirements were.

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I talked to a supervisor, and the phones I had before were both true smartphones, a Blackberry Tour and Curve. I took the free Aria, not an upgraded phone. Like it says, you take an upgraded phone, you have to change over to an AT&T rate plan. They can clearly see I didnt change rateplans.

Device(s)
    ATNI Alltel: HTC, Telular Box, V262
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, Alltel (ATNI), Verizon, Globalstar
    Feedback Score
    I want to mention about MY experience with the new 3G signal. Even though it is running through the same antennas for the most part it DOES NOT perform the same at all. Overall CDMA works much better and let me repeat the word OVERALL.
    The data is much faster on the new phones but they drop calls all the time. The propagation of the signal is different. The phone works better in some areas and worse in others.
    Just about all the small local papers in CA/NV have had articles talking about local residents anger over loss of coverage, getting charged for data, missed calls, dropped calls.
    IMO 3G phones are underpowered, about 75mw less than CDMA. IThey work very well with a direct connect amp and antenna but that is totally impractical for most people.

I had a Q9c and took the Curve like you. I dont believe they put me under contract but will check.

I have no plans on going with another carrier right now, Verizon just doesn't have the coverage I need in the rural areas. And the data is 10x faster than Verizon. I got a great deal having the Alltel plan on Att, it would cost me $30-50 more a month to get the same thing on a Verizon or Att plan.
    Still using a 3 watt analog bag phone in 2011!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shango6 View Post
    I want to mention about MY experience with the new 3G signal. Even though it is running through the same antennas for the most part it DOES NOT perform the same at all. Overall CDMA works much better and let me repeat the word OVERALL.
    The data is much faster on the new phones but they drop calls all the time. The propagation of the signal is different. The phone works better in some areas and worse in others.
    Just about all the small local papers in CA/NV have had articles talking about local residents anger over loss of coverage, getting charged for data, missed calls, dropped calls.
    IMO 3G phones are underpowered, about 75mw less than CDMA. IThey work very well with a direct connect amp and antenna but that is totally impractical for most people.

I had a Q9c and took the Curve like you. I dont believe they put me under contract but will check.

I have no plans on going with another carrier right now, Verizon just doesn't have the coverage I need in the rural areas. And the data is 10x faster than Verizon. I got a great deal having the Alltel plan on Att, it would cost me $30-50 more a month to get the same thing on a Verizon or Att plan.
    I'm curious to see a link to one of these articles.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here are a few from a quick search from the same paper of the ongoing issue. Its a much wider carrier, its not going to work the same, what people are used to. And the antenna sharing attenuates performance even more. That should improve an a few years when they can get rid of the cdma and dedicate the antennas to the 3G only.

http://news.sierrawave.net/index.php...&Itemid=200021

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shango6 View Post
    Here are a few from a quick search from the same paper of the ongoing issue. Its a much wider carrier, its not going to work the same, what people are used to. And the antenna sharing attenuates performance even more. That should improve an a few years when they can get rid of the cdma and dedicate the antennas to the 3G only.

Wow. Supervisor Hap Hazard? You couldn't write it any better than that!

Well, except maybe the last comment in the first article, which was simply
    "T-mobile!!!!!!". I wonder how that guy is feeling about that now!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ATT did not put me under any contract, I still have all 5 lines line with the free upgrade phone and their not under contract.
    I would try calling back and talking to someone else.

Some of the issue here was ATT didnt convert the analog towers. They cheesed out and only added 3G to cdma towers.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Judging by the dates on the articles, it makes me wonder if that is why this transition dates have been continually getting moved back. Hopefully they are trying to correct this. But no one is tied to AT&T if the service is crappy as long as you get out in 30 days.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rushaar View Post
    Judging by the dates on the articles, it makes me wonder if that is why this transition dates have been continually getting moved back. Hopefully they are trying to correct this. But no one is tied to AT&T if the service is crappy as long as you get out in 30 days.
    It was pushed back here for the people who hadnt converted yet, it will finish out end of May.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is kinda the thing. This primarily seems confined to a small area. What may not be working well there at the moment may be working just fine elsewhere. Just because there are problems there doesn't mean people should run from AT&T. Especially if where they go and what they do works just fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My contract was reset to when my service transitioned over too, but I don't care in the slightest. It's a grandfathered unlimited card, and I have a feeling AT&T will want to terminate the plan before I do.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not suggesting anyone jump ship and leave unless it absolutely doesn't work out for them. Most will be very happy with the data speeds.

The thing with the contracts being reset...I can understand why that would upset some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast