Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG Optimus V How bad is it ?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

LG Optimus V How bad is it ?

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot on this forum that the Optimus is having some major issues with losing its 3G data connection and I was just wondering if the problems are so bad that its not even worth getting the phone. Also, is it just the Optimus that's having issues? Or is it all of Virgin Mobile's phones? Are there certain parts of the country that have more issues with data than others?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I was gonna open new topic but my question is similar to yours, so Im gonna ask it here.
    My friend has LG Rumor Touch, and we look up some websites in my school area and It was loading really slowly, I am thinking about getting Optimus V, but I have a question, Is optimus V have better 3g connection than rumor touch or is it same ? I am gonna get the phone for only internet using I really dont need the talking and texting so I really want to get answers
    ( Sorry about my bad english bdw. )

Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus : Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.0.24212/24.741; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

all you answers are in the search bar.the Optimus is a great phone

Feedback Score
    Virgin Mobile is having data issues across the board right now. I don't even have a Virgin Mobile cell phone -- just a VM mobile broadband card I plug into my computer to use the Internet at home -- and I'm having issues. So, it's the network, not the phones, that people are having problems with.

Having said that, if you get the phone, you've got to connect to Virgin Mobile's network (Well, either that or just use it where there is wifi -- and even then you'd need workarounds like Google Talk to make calls). So, I wouldn't get it right now if I were you unless your primary use case is using it where there's wifi. Save your money and wait to see if Virgin Mobile gets their act together.

I'm kind of wishing I could get my money back on this broadband card thing right now. I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone trust Virgin Mobile by making an upfront hardware purchase right now. See if they get their issues fixed, and whether they bother explaining the downtime and giving existing customers credits, so you can know if they'll deal with you square in the future. Now's not the time to buy in.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your answer , it is really sad that they are having data issues, I was gonna buy optimus and try to network and If I don't like it I was gonna return the phone back (radioshack has 40day money guarantee I guess) but after I found out They're having data issues I am gonna wait until they fixed and try after that, thanks again.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The optimus is a great phone and the data issues seem to be getting better. To be honest, the bulk of the data issues are because folks expect the same service they would pay Sprint $85-100 a month for.

Oh, and Optimus is rev.a so the data is usually faster. Websites will render better and faster also because it is a better phone with a better processor.

Sent from my Optimus Stalker

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I haven't had a data drop in well over a week! (Pittsburgh Area) Personally, I love the Optimus and VM for offering such a great deal!

Phones
    LG VM670 Optimus V (current)
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Audiovox CDM-8915 Snapper
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellworld View Post
    I was gonna open new topic but my question is similar to yours, so Im gonna ask it here.
    My friend has LG Rumor Touch, and we look up some websites in my school area and It was loading really slowly, I am thinking about getting Optimus V, but I have a question, Is optimus V have better 3g connection than rumor touch or is it same ? I am gonna get the phone for only internet using I really dont need the talking and texting so I really want to get answers
    ( Sorry about my bad english bdw. )
    The Rumor Touch has an EvDO Rev. 0 radio, and the Optimus has EvDO Rev. A (which is newer). When I upgraded from the RT to the Optimus, my average download speed went from 400 Kbps to 1200 Kbps. Granted, those were using different speed tests, but regardless there's a significant speed increase with a Rev. A radio.

As far as data outages, they've been really bad for me the past two weeks, but recently (within maybe the last 36 hours) I haven't had any problems at all. I'm hoping it stays like that. It's also worth noting, though, that voice service has never suffered through all this--just data.

Carrier
    VM (LG Optimus V)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredofcontract View Post
    To be honest, the bulk of the data issues are because folks expect the same service they would pay Sprint $85-100 a month for.
    My definition of service and yours must differ then. No, I don't expect the same data speeds found on Sprint, but I expect my connection to work when I need it 24/7. When data doesn't connect, I'm not getting data service at all. No data service is worth $0 and a 300-minute phone plan with texting and with no nights and weekends is worth $15 tops.

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Droid DNA
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless/Verizon Fios Quantum 75/35
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    My definition of service and yours must differ then. No, I don't expect the same data speeds found on Sprint, but I expect my connection to work when I need it 24/7. When data doesn't connect, I'm not getting data service at all. No data service is worth $0 and a 300-minute phone plan with texting and with no nights and weekends is worth $15 tops.
    I agree most people who say this are the ones who are not having issues,i am pretty sure his attitude would change if he was having big time issues,i am having very minimal issues myself,but i will not stick this in anyones face,like some members like to do.

Feedback Score
    To directly answer the question, the phone is a pretty good one for someone whose only other smart phone was the Intercept. It's fast, has plenty of memory and froyo which helps with putting apps on SD. I don't use data much, about 10-20 MB per month so it is great when there is any data connection, which has been an issue for me. Last three or four days have been good but I use the connection less than five time a day.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sticking anything in anyones face. For the last couple weeks data has been spotty. I suffered the same issues everyone else has, using airplane mode to fix it. However, I knew it was only a matter of time till it worked and it appears they fixed it. There were also a couple nationwide outages that lated a couple hours. I didn't expect my $25 plan to be as good as it is. Many times my Optimus is faster than my Hero was on Sprint. Can't complain about that for the price.

Sent from my Optimus Stalker

Feedback Score
    I've really enjoyed the Optimus and also figured it was a matter of time until VM repaired this issue. It was huge compared to bumps in the past. But my data has been solid for two days now and last night was the fastest I've seen it in weeks. (Eugene OR)

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Title should be changed to how good is it.

If you are asking strictly about the phone, it's a good start up hacking phone. I paid equivalent of $120 (tax included) at Target. There's a huge Optimus community so that means hacks aplenty. From making voip, over clocking, rooting to changing roms. On top of that, with a popular phone, accessories are usually cheaper and more selection.

If you are talking about VM's data, well, it's very inconsistent. In NYC, outside of noon to 4 pm, it's usable. I can expect 200kbps down. From noon to 4pm, you are looking at dialup, during which case, I use it for yahoo/aim im strictly, no browsing.

Feedback Score
    In my area, I'm not really getting the data issue very often, but when I do notice it when going to a webpage, I've just pulled the battery, restarted the phone, and it works again. The battery life isn't the greatest, but its as good as the intercept's was, and I can get almost a day out of it before charging. This, of course, changes if you decide to stream videos all day without charging it.

The Optimus has probably been my favorite phone I've ever had, especially after using the buggy/annoyingly laggy Intercept. It's better in every way to any other phone on Virgin Mobile. The only issue I was having when I first got it was my clumsy fingers trying to text on the touch screen; once you figure out swype, though, I can type faster than on the Intercept's spongy keyboard, and almost as fast as my old blackberry keyboard.

So, as a phone, the Optimus V is a great deal -nearly all games on the Android Market play pretty well, and the phone never gets bogged down like my Intercept did.

Oh, and Voip finally works flawlessly for me on the phone, which the intercept never did, even on custom ROMS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast