Thread: unactivated tracfone with minutes on it

Feedback Score

unactivated tracfone with minutes on it

hey all,

I'm currently using an lg420g with 4 minutes on it and about 50 service days. Now I found a lg410g in my drawer with 42 minutes on it, deactivated. I'm not sure why it's deactivated with that much time left on it, but it was probably my mom's old phone.

So here's what I'd like to do, once my time is up on my 420g, I'd like to switch to that. I've ordered a sim card and an airtime card, but i'd still like to transfer the service that is on my 420g to the 410g, if possible. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoneguy View Post
    hey all,

I'm currently using an lg420g with 4 minutes on it and about 50 service days. Now I found a lg410g in my drawer with 42 minutes on it, deactivated. I'm not sure why it's deactivated with that much time left on it, but it was probably my mom's old phone.

So here's what I'd like to do, once my time is up on my 420g, I'd like to switch to that. I've ordered a sim card and an airtime card, but i'd still like to transfer the service that is on my 420g to the 410g, if possible. Thanks
    The minutes on the 410 are only good for 60 days after expiration (30 days for Net10). In other words, you must reactivate the 410 within 60 days of expiration with a new airtime card or the minutes are permanently lost. Are you sure that it has been less than 60 days? If it has been more than 60 days you don't gain anything by reactivating the 410.

If it has been less than 60 days, you would probably do better by going in the opposite direction: Reactivate the 410 (which does not have dmfl) using the $9.99/30 minutes/30 days option on the website. These are paid-for minutes, not starter minutes, so they can be legitimately transferred onto the 420 along with the 30 days and possibly an additional 60 days that I believe you get when you reactivate a phone. Not sure about the 60 days.

That would add 72 minutes (42 + 30) onto the 420 and extend its expiration date by 30 or 90 days. (Not sure if you get 30 days for the $10 airtime purchase or 30 days airtime + 60 days for activating.)

Then use the airtime card which you have already ordered on the 420, which does have dmfl.

This is all assuming the 410 has been inactive less than 60 days.

If it has been more than 60 days, its only value might be to sell it on craigslist for $5.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    The minutes on the 410 are only good for 60 days after expiration (30 days for Net10). In other words, you must reactivate the 410 within 60 days of expiration with a new airtime card or the minutes are permanently lost. Are you sure that it has been less than 60 days? If it has been more than 60 days you don't gain anything by reactivating the 410.

If it has been less than 60 days, you would probably do better by going in the opposite direction: Reactivate the 410 (which does not have dmfl) using the $9.99/30 minutes/30 days option on the website. These are paid-for minutes, not starter minutes, so they can be legitimately transferred onto the 420 along with the 30 days and possibly an additional 60 days that I believe you get when you reactivate a phone. Not sure about the 60 days.

That would add 72 minutes (42 + 30) onto the 420 and extend its expiration date by 30 or 90 days. (Not sure if you get 30 days for the $10 airtime purchase or 30 days airtime + 60 days for activating.)

Then use the airtime card which you have already ordered on the 420, which does have dmfl.

This is all assuming the 410 has been inactive less than 60 days.

If it has been more than 60 days, its only value might be to sell it on craigslist for $5.
    You do not get 60 free days when re-activating a Tracfone. That only applies to first time activating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball-II View Post
    You do not get 60 free days when re-activating a Tracfone. That only applies to first time activating.
    Okay. As I said I wasn't sure about whether you get 60 days when reactivating. But all the rest applies.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible the 42 minutes were actually transfered off the phone and the code never entered to clear the minutes and days off the display? I can not think of a way to varify if the minutes are actually there.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The airtime info also lists the service end date. If it is more than 60 days in the past, the minutes are no good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    The airtime info also lists the service end date. If it is more than 60 days in the past, the minutes are no good.
    Airtime info only displays service end date while the phone is active. Once service has expired, the service end date is wiped out from airtime info.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I have two inactive Tracfones and two inactive Net10 phones. The service end date still shows on two, but not on the other two. A W376g reverted to 1/1/2001; a T201 reverted to 1/2/2001, but an LG410 still shows its expiration date was 1/15/2011 with 2 minutes left, and a Net10 LG300 shows its expiration date was 11/20/2010. The LG410 simply expired; all the others had service transferred to another phone.

Perhaps it depends on the model or maybe it's just one of those Tracfone unpredictables. Since the OP referenced an LG410, maybe it will show its service end date like mine does.

Feedback Score
    two things

1. my service end date was 12/8/2010. we're way past that, the minutes are on the screen, but are they any good?

2. ok I forgot to mention, i ordered the refurbished lg410g with the airtime card, as that was part of the $5 off deal tracfone has. I don't know if it has DMFL, but I want to keep using the lg420g, because it has DMFL. is there any way to transfer the minutes from the new lg410g to the lg420g?

Feedback Score
    The minutes are on the screen because that is the last value that the handset has in its memory. The handset tallies the minutes, not tracfone. But the system knows that the phone has timed out and will refuse to use them.

You can use the airtime card on any phone. It don't have to dance with the one what brung it.