Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Globalive's submission regarding the 700Mhz auction / some interesting bits

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Globalive's submission regarding the 700Mhz auction / some interesting bits

EDIT: link for WIND fixed.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/smse-018-10-globalive-submission.pdf/$FILE/smse-018-10-globalive-submission.pdf

on page 6, under 18 (ii)
    At least one incumbent carrier has taken steps that have
    restricted the supply of handsets available to new entrants even further,
    by contracting for exclusive access to all of one manufacturer’s
    handsets that were compatible with AWS spectrum in Canada.
    7 (That carrier, it should be noted, has yet to deploy its AWS spectrum);

---

subnote 7 states
    WIND learned of this arrangement as it was preparing to launch service in
    late 2009.
    Who's the carrier and who's the manufacturer? Any guesses?

Some other intesesting notes claimed by Globalive (although I've heard this from Moblicity as well):

Rogers has 165Mhz of spectrum, Bell-Telus combined has 175Mhz. They don't need any more. For comparison, Verizon 70Mhz and AT&T has 80Mhz.

Mobilicity has posted their comments as well, but I haven't gone through it for any goodies. Their highlight seems to be, if you have 850 spectrum in a region, you should not be allowed to bid on 700 spectrum. Just liek WIND, Mobilicity wants Telus-Bell to be treated as one entity since they have a shared network.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/smse-018-10-mobilicity-submission.pdf/$FILE/smse-018-10-mobilicity-submission.pdf
    Last edited by mGeek; 03-24-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Corrected link

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... if you're not a reader, the Mobilicity filing is filled with graphs comparing Bell/Telus and Rogers' spectrum holdings compared to US and other major carriers around the world.

Name:  700spectrum.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  55.2 KB
    Name:  attcompare.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  33.8 KB

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Dext (CM7.1)
    Sony Ericsson TM506 (Green)
    Carriers
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Could be Telus and Motorola, as they had the Charm and are picking up the Defy.

It could also be Telus and LG (Optimus One), or Bell and HTC (G2/Desire Z and HD7).

Clearly not Blackberry or Nokia, and SE doesn't have enough phones to make it worth it.

I suppose it could be Bell and Samsung as well.

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mGeek View Post
    Well this means we have to consider which phones were available or about to come out in late 2009 that had AWS versions available.

The Samsung Galaxy (not S) was gobbled up by Bell and Rogers.
    The Motorola Quench/CliqXT by Rogers, the Cliq/Dext by Bell, the Backflip by Telus.
    The HTC Dream and Magic were already with Rogers.

Or are they saying that a carrier signed an exclusivity deal *and then never even released the phones*?

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Could you post a link to Globalive's submission also? Both your links point to Mobilicity's submission.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Or are they saying that a carrier signed an exclusivity deal *and then never even released the phones*?
    That would be correct. The question is whether it refers to new or old phones.

The problem is that WIND already carries HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, RIM and LG. The only major manufacturer that's missing from the list is... Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by torontocolin View Post
    Could be Telus and Motorola, as they had the Charm and are picking up the Defy.

It could also be Telus and LG (Optimus One), or Bell and HTC (G2/Desire Z and HD7).

Clearly not Blackberry or Nokia, and SE doesn't have enough phones to make it worth it.

I suppose it could be Bell and Samsung as well.
    It can't be Motorola, since WIND got the XT720 in 2010. The report says that they learnt of the exclusivity deal in late 2009 during their launch.

Again, the problem with the note is that it isn't clear on whether it is referring to new/future phones or old phones. Did WIND launch with the HTC Maple/Snap? If yes, then it's totally possible that WIND was able to source the Maple/Snap from HTC prior to their launch, but then wasn't able to get newer HTC phones in 2010. The same applies to Samsung as well.

Feedback Score
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/smse-018-10-mobilicity-submission.pdf/$FILE/smse-018-10-mobilicity-submission.pdf

on page 6, under 18 (ii)

Some other intesesting notes claimed by Globalive (although I've heard this from Moblicity as well):

Rogers has 165Mhz of spectrum, Bell-Telus combined has 175Mhz. They don't need any more. For comparison, Verizon 70Mhz and AT&T has 80Mhz.

Mobilicity has posted their comments as well, but I haven't gone through it for any goodies. Their highlight seems to be, if you have 850 spectrum in a region, you should not be allowed to bid on 700 spectrum. Just liek WIND, Mobilicity wants Telus-Bell to be treated as one entity since they have a shared network.
    WTF? How much bending backwards does a government need to do before the new guys stop whining? If it weren't for the government protection and separate auction holdings as it is these guys wouldn't have made it past last july, or even launched.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TendenZi View Post
    WTF? How much bending backwards does a government need to do before the new guys stop whining? If it weren't for the government protection and separate auction holdings as it is these guys wouldn't have made it past last july, or even launched.
    With regards to this point, you're right. There was an open auction for one portion of the spectrum, and another portion especially set up for new entrants. I suppose it's their argument for a new-entrant-only 700 spectrum auction, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG01 View Post
    With regards to this point, you're right. There was an open auction for one portion of the spectrum, and another portion especially set up for new entrants. I suppose it's their argument for a new-entrant-only 700 spectrum auction, though.
    I hope so, but I hear 700Mhz is a valuable spectrum for both Canada and U.S. I don't see the government of Canada wanting to lose a valuable billion or more in revenue because 3 companies can't get their crap together.

Here's an idea or two.
    1. No restriction, new entrants will be forced to creatively purchase what best suits their expansion plans.
    2. Don't have the auction unless truly needed. I don't know why so much spectrum was sold off in the first place, but surely we don't need more to be sold off, unless the canadian government needs the cash.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Holy crap, the big 3 have a crapload of spectrum!
    But one thing is also certain: it is beneficial for consumers to get phones that work on all networks, and if everyone gets and uses 700 mhz then you can pick up your Rogers phone and presumably jump to Mobilicity or Wind. And we're very much at the mercy of the American market as far as handset selection goes.
    17.50 ("killer plan": 200 mins by the second, unlimited E/W from 5pm) + 10 (retention VP: 2500 SMS, CD, VM) + 30 (data plan: 6GB with tethering) - 10 (data credit)
    = $47.50 + 911 + tax
    If you're selling a good plan on Telus, Bell, or Rogers, PM me.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I fully support the idea of "unused spectrum going back". This unused spectrum is a waste of resources.

Feedback Score
    From the Wind submission:
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/smse-018-10-globalive-submission.pdf/$FILE/smse-018-10-globalive-submission.pdf
    Page 18:
    "17 WIND learned, for example, that despite not having launched on AWS
    spectrum, Rogers has secured exclusive rights to all AWS handsets
    manufactured by ZTE for the Canadian market."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ardsa View Post
    From the Wind submission:
    Page 18:
    "17 WIND learned, for example, that despite not having launched on AWS
    spectrum, Rogers has secured exclusive rights to all AWS handsets
    manufactured by ZTE for the Canadian market."
    Great, WIND is missing out on ZTE, the other brand just as ****** as huawei.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast