Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon vs AT&T Speedtest map from colorado to alabama.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon vs AT&T Speedtest map from colorado to alabama.

I recently drove to denver, co to see some friends and on the way there I picked up a new Thunderbolt. So on the return trip I did simultaneous speed tests on my ATT Samsung Captivate and my new VZW TB. I have created a map in google maps with placemarks of exactly where the tests were performed and in the description are the results of said tests. All the tests were done in the car hauling ~80-85mph using speakeasy.net/speedtest.(Don't worry I wasn't driving). To see the results click on each placemark, the description will show something like:
    V 1 .5
    A 2 1
    Which means verizon pulled 1mbit down, pushed .5mbit up, while ATT pulled 2mbit down with 1mbit up.

Without further ado: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,33.815918&z=6

Feedback Score
    Hah, this is my typical AT&Trash speed

Here's what I got in Atlanta tonight on AT&T

And here is what I got on my HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon LTE

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Must be some good friends to drive like 2,700 miles for!

I am tempted to put your #s into a spreadsheet and see how it compares. Looks like Verizon was doing pretty well!

Couldn't help but notice you had no AT&T signal in some places Verizon had signal and were only roaming on Edge on AT&T in others

As I posted in another thread, I was getting a steady 2mbps on 3G Verizon and 70-250kbps on AT&T 'Upgraded 3G, Aka 4G'
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I put them in a spreadsheet.

Seems like you did 18 total test points.

Verizon Average Download: 3.005555556
    Verizon Average Upload: 0.640555556

AT&T Average Download: 1.316666667
    AT&T Average Upload: 0.470555556

Removing the 1 low outlier:

Verizon Average Download: 3.176470588
    Verizon Average Upload: 0.673529412

AT&T Average Download: 1.394117647
    AT&T Average Upload: 0.498235294

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    it's funny that the two LTE results swayed the average up to 3 for vzw.

Note that the 1xRTT on the tbolt was entirely usable(even streamed pandora on normal quality), unlike edge most of the time.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    it's funny that the two LTE results swayed the average up to 3 for vzw.

Note that the 1xRTT on the tbolt was entirely usable(even streamed pandora on normal quality), unlike edge most of the time.
    Removing the LTE test (the 23/4 one) you still get an average of 1.94 down and .466 up.

Removing AT&T's fastest (5.5/1.5) you get an average of 1.13 down and .435 up

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well the big thing is that verizon simply worked through the ENTIRE DRIVE. Whereas ATT had a pretty pathetic showing the whole way.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Well the big thing is that verizon simply worked through the ENTIRE DRIVE. Whereas ATT had a pretty pathetic showing the whole way.
    Yep, maybe its time you cancel AT&T and put that monthly savings aside for your next Verizon device!

I should have done some of these maps. I drove from WI to KY (and KY to WI) over 20 times last year and even WI to SC 3 times. For now I am not going to be doing any long highway trips, but in a few months I might.

I had a Sprint, T-Mobile (no roaming), AT&T, Cricket (no roaming) and Verizon device in my car. Let's just say that Cricket without roaming didn't stand a chance (expected), T-Mobile was pretty bad. Lots of dead spots in Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky. Sprint... did pretty good, except a few spots in Indiana and then further on in Kentucky. AT&T I wasn't watching the whole time but it was on Edge quite often. Verizon had 3G the entire way as far as I can tell.

Nearly 100% of the driving time I spent in a call with my girlfriend, and the time I wasn't in a call with her I was with someone else... and between all of these trips, I only dropped a handful of calls, and they were all in the same spot in Indiana and Kentucky. Call could be initiated right away again... I guess it was just a hand off issue.

Verizon may not have the fastest network at all times, but it's definitely the best for me. I would say it's the largest / most reliable but then someone will come in and flame me. Its pretty obvious to see with your results too, that Verizon was always there for you, even if they were not the fastest. AT&T is good when it's there, lol.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was on my parents family plan, but in January I started my own verizon account. I didn't like the device selection at the time(I wanted something 4+ inches and not locked down excluding samsung), so I got an incredible and gave it to the GF. My sister started *****ing about AT&T sucking in feb and so I got her a line on my plan. When the TB came out I was finally able to put myself on my plan and now I am just trying to convince my parents to move over. Only thing is they don't want to cancel the lines and pay the ETFs even when I am offering to pay it for them. For some reason I can't get it through that paying $400 now is cheaper than paying $60 extra month for the next year and a half. Though you'd think that would be obvious.

Feedback Score
    I was on my parents family plan, but in January I started my own verizon account. I didn't like the device selection at the time(I wanted something 4+ inches and not locked down excluding samsung), so I got an incredible and gave it to the GF. My sister started *****ing about AT&T sucking in feb and so I got her a line on my plan. When the TB came out I was finally able to put myself on my plan and now I am just trying to convince my parents to move over. Only thing is they don't want to cancel the lines and pay the ETFs even when I am offering to pay it for them. For some reason I can't get it through that paying $400 now is cheaper than paying $60 extra month for the next year and a half. Though you'd think that would be obvious.
    Do you live in AL?

Sent via my HTC Thunderbolt

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, pay the ETF and sell all the devices to help recover the costs. No point in paying the monthly fee if its useless.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    You can see my AT&T vs. Verizon in this post:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0#post14268140

Let's just say...

AT&T: (Samsung Captivate 3 months old on upgraded 3G aka 4G)

Verizon: (Motorola Droid 1 2 yrs old on 3G)

To sum things up.

Now we know why AT&T has a 2GB limit for $25/mo or 4GB limit for $45/mo

Much rather have my UNLIMITED for $30/mo - $20 data discount = $10/mo =)

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Do you live in AL?

Sent via my HTC Thunderbolt
    Yeah Sylacauga

@Extraordinary, I've seen 2.4mbit before here on my gf's dinc.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I enjoyed the map, good data!
    Two comments...
    1) If the additional EDGE roaming tests had been done, those would have driven down AT&T's average even further.
    2) It's good you didn't do speed tests in those areas. AT&T's ridiculous roaming term is *the lesser* of 20% of your data plan, or 24MB a month. **24**MB! I don't know how big a speed test is, but, you know, that's not that much data.

Anyway, yeah, that's why I love VZW. I've gone from here in eastern Iowa to New Orleans, about 30 miles of 1X (around Hannibal, MO it's USCC roaming) but EVDO the whole rest of the way. Going to visit relatives in eastern PA, EVDO the whole way. Visiting up in Wisconsin, if we go straight to Madison EVDO the whole way.. (getting off highway 151 to visit relatives in SW Wisconsin, there's so many valleys that ex-Alltel VZW has *maybe* 60% coverage, USCC has maybe 60%, with the combination providing maybe 90%) I should be able to go all the way to the west coast, with EVDO for virtually the whole way (perhaps a couple miles without it in the mountains). It's not the fastest* but it is the most consistent.

*Well, I guess LTE actually IS the fastest, heh.

Edit: I'm surprised at how often AT&T's EDGE just plain fails (Well, I'm sort of not because there's been plenty of complaints in AT&T forum about their data failures.. but academically I am.) When I first got an aircard, my trip to eastern PA I had EVDO around Chicago, and I think that was it (I wasn't going far enough east in PA to get into the northeast corridor). The 1X was not fast but it would not drop to 0 like that EDGE is.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. Att's edge is really sad lol.
    I had verizon before I switched to cingular and I can't tell you how many times I have wished I had 1x instead of edge.
    There's a few places in Alabama where their edge works pretty good. I've been able to stream Pandora on it in a few places as long as I wasn't traveling. It's really hit or miss though.
    Speaking of mountains, driving between Denver and Aspen the gf had evdo the entire way. And these were like cliff faces. I have no idea how vzw had towers in there.
    Here is one of the milder areas of that trip.

The real deep ones are on the gf's phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast