Thread: Tracfone activation and SIM card questions

Feedback Score

Tracfone activation and SIM card questions

Hi there, I'm new here - just trying to get some help on a couple of questions.

I bought a used Tracfone (without SIM card) on eBay, as well as a new SIM card. When I put the SIM card in the phone, I get the message "SIM card rejected".

Also, when I try to activate the phone on the Tracfone website, it says that the activation failed because the IMEI (serial) number is associated with another account.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work?

Feedback Score
    When you try to activate the phone, are you also setting it up in your account? The previous owner has to remove it from his/her account first. Also, you can't put your name on it until the previous name is removed.

Go to the technical support area of the tracfone website and see what it says about the phone. Then report back.

What model phone is it? Look at the label under the battery.

Feedback Score
    I'm new to Tracfone too, so I just set up a new account and then tried to add the phone to it. Do I need to get in touch with the eBay seller and ask them to remove it from their account?

I tried checking the support forums on Tracfone's website but couldn't find anything relevant to my situation.

The phone is a Nokia 1100 - I know, it's super old.

Thanks for your response, Lisme.

Feedback Score
    That phone is a good one. Don't be concerned that it's old.

The seller needs to remove the phone from his/her account. But that is not enough. Tracfone still has his/her name in the records for that serial number. The account thing is for convenience so you can do things a little easier. But the serial number will still have a name in the records if the seller had any dealings with customer service such as help adding minutes, etc, because they ask for your name. That's how you prove you're the real owner if there's any doubt. Anyway, ask the seller to take care of this. He doesn't have to put your name on it, he just has to get his name off of it.

Here is the technical support I'm talking about: http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_...k=tech_support

Put the serial number in there.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I was looking in the wrong place - found the actual technical support area of the website, not just the forums. I'll see what response they give.

Feedback Score
    Looks like I posted just as you did, Lisme. I'll get in touch with the seller and see about the technical support. Thanks!

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    After the prior owner removes his name from the phone, you may need to call Tracfone to request a new SIM, which they will send free if the one you have doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    I emailed the seller but haven't heard back and I ended up contacting Tracfone through Facebook and got some help that way. You're right, millept, they said that they would need to send me a new SIM, which should ship Monday. It sounds like they were able to remove the phone from the seller's account, but we'll see what happens when I get the SIM and try again to activate the phone. Thanks for the help I got here!