LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score

My review of Spot Mobile

As per my promise in the "Any No Time Limit Providers?" thread, I can now provide a brief review of my experience with Spot Mobile.

I ordered the SIM and a $5 airtime card on March 22. They arrived at my door on March 25 via UPS. I went through the online activation process and it worked flawlessly. It took less than five minutes. I was given a local number based on my Zip Code. I have tried the SIM in several phones. I found that it only works in unlocked phones. It would not work in phones locked to either T-Mobile or AT&T. I discovered that call forwarding works, even though it is not listed on the website as one of the features. I successfully made a call and received a call. I successfully sent and received a text message. I tried to send a picture message from a Nokia 6133 and that did not work.

I set up the online account management with no problems. It tells me my balance and expiration date, but there is no calling log info.

I tried the SIM in a locked AT&T Nokia 6555 and it would not work. I also tried it in a locked T-Mobile Nokia 6030 and it would not work there, either. It only works in unlocked phones. I have tried it in several unlocked phones with no problems.

I know that it was said by someone that Spot Mobile works on AT&T. I am not sure. AT&T phones get solid full bars at my house. T-Mobile gets a good signal, but the bars go up and down a bit. Sometimes full bars and sometimes down to about half. I have tried the Spot SIM in several phones and in each one the signal strength bars behave like T-Mobile, not like AT&T.

I noticed this on the FAQ: Q: What if I travel outside my area code?
    Answer: Higher airtime rates apply when calls are placed from "Roaming" areas with all our latest phones & cell plans. I am wondering what that is all about. I am going to call customer service and see if I can find out. I cannot find a coverage map on the website. We have no way of knowing what the coverage area is. Hopefully, customer service can tell me, and if I learn more I will post it on this thread.

Feedback Score
    Roaming is supposed to be 10 cents extra per minute. Speculation that they use the AT&T network was because that is a typical AT&T prepaid rate, and because T-Mobile has so few MVNO's.

It was mentioned in the Spot thread that fone finder listed some of their numbers as from Leap. I entered some of Spot's numbers and the results were all over the map. In addition, I emailed Spot to clarify what network they use and what is roaming. They never replied back.

Feedback Score
    Spot Mobile's Terms & Conditions has more info about roaming.

Under "ROAMING":
    http://www.spotmobile.com/tc.aspx

Feedback Score
    Does Spot have any service fees? I looked around on their website and saw no mention of them.. but I often miss things!

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix01 View Post
    Does Spot have any service fees? I looked around on their website and saw no mention of them.. but I often miss things!
    I haven't found anything about that either.

I found this line on their Corporate Profile: "Our nationwide coverage area is supported by the PCM, AT&T and T-Mobile networks.".
    That page can be found here: http://www.spotmobile.com/Corporate_Profile.aspx

The one thing that we really need now is a coverage map. I have sent them an email requesting that they send me a coverage map.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed some more things that I like about Spot. I mentioned that call forwarding works. I have discovered that it can be either conditional or unconditional. I have also discovered that the voicemail is optional. I have not activated it and it allows the phone to ring for a very long time. I like that.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thank Bob859 for writing this review.

I guess I was wrong about its main network, for some reason I thought it was AT&T, sorry about that...

This is a minor question: Did the $9.99 sim card came with 100 min. included ?

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LuuDucPhu View Post

This is a minor question: Did the $9.99 sim card came with 100 min. included ?
    There was no airtime with the SIM card. I purchased a $5 airtime card when I ordered the SIM and the cost for shipping was also $5, so my total startup cost was $19.99. That is rather high for startup, but now it good until June 22 and then can be kept active for $20/year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob859 View Post
    I know that it was said by someone that Spot Mobile works on AT&T. I am not sure. AT&T phones get solid full bars at my house. T-Mobile gets a good signal, but the bars go up and down a bit. Sometimes full bars and sometimes down to about half. I have tried the Spot SIM in several phones and in each one the signal strength bars behave like T-Mobile, not like AT&T.
    Go to http://wirelessamberalerts.org and enter your Spot phone number. It should report back who the underlying carrier is.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Go to http://wirelessamberalerts.org and enter your Spot phone number. It should report back who the underlying carrier is.
    I tried and the response was: "The Telephone Number 612-235-xxxx is not a valid wireless number or your carrier is not participating in the program".
    Last edited by Bob859; 03-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    There was no airtime with the SIM card. I purchased a $5 airtime card when I ordered the SIM and the cost for shipping was also $5, so my total startup cost was $19.99. That is rather high for startup, but now it good until June 22 and then can be kept active for $20/year.
    Thanks for the info Bob859. I checked out their phones. They list a price for each one with the claim, "includes 100 bonus minutes with activation." However, when I clicked "Buy Now" the prices were all at least $10 higher than what was originally listed. What's up with that?

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix01 View Post
    Thanks for the info Bob859. I checked out their phones. They list a price for each one with the claim, "includes 100 bonus minutes with activation." However, when I clicked "Buy Now" the prices were all at least $10 higher than what was originally listed. What's up with that?
    Good question. I would suggest contacting them and asking.

Feedback Score
    Good question. I would suggest contacting them and asking.
    I called Spot. They said the prices on the 1st page are for phones without the PIN. When you buy a phone you have to add a $10, $20 or $50 PIN. Maybe I'm just confused, but this all seems misleading to me. Now that I think about it, is a "PIN" the same as a "Prepaid Card"?

They also said I can't port my T-Mobile number over because it's a prepaid number.

Feedback Score
    Spot has limitations. Probably has better coverage then either Gophone or Native Tmo prepaid but no data/mms and no porting prepaid numbers. Meh.

Carriers
    Talk For Good
    Truphone personal
    Feedback Score
    This actually looks like a decent low cost alternative to T-Mobile prepaid, if you don't mind topping off every 90 days with a minimum $5 refill. $0.10 minute voice is cheaper than $10 non- Gold Rewards refills; TXT $0.05 each way.

edit: I would guess they will use primarily T-Mobile, unless you are in an area without known service then you could wind up with AT&T. In my home ATTWS has almost full bars, T-Mobile is unusable... Spot would probably try to grab T-Mo then dial out on ATTWS and would be a roaming voice call.
    Last edited by boomerang86; 03-29-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: new thoughts

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast