Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Astound thread

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wldock View Post
    I picked up a used Astound and web2go does not work. Retentions previously told me it would work if I bought the phone off contract now they are saying something different.
    Change APN to internet2.voicestream.com.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that worked!

Device(s)
    Nokia Nuron, BB Pearl Flip 8220
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you getting 3g service when you change the apn?

Feedback Score
    Hey I just bought the Astound. However, as previously reported in this thread joikuspot is blocked. It does not show up in the ovi store, and if i manually download it from the joikuspot web site the installer will launch but fail. Has anyone found a way around this?

Device(s)
    Nokia Nuron
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US,
    Feedback Score
    From what Iam reading online T-mobile has foind a way to block apps that allow wifi teathering. 2 days ago there was an artical on engadget talking about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollwiththis View Post
    Hey I just bought the Astound. However, as previously reported in this thread joikuspot is blocked. It does not show up in the ovi store, and if i manually download it from the joikuspot web site the installer will launch but fail. Has anyone found a way around this?

Feedback Score
    Wow, internet2.voicestream.com got the web on the phone to work however when I tried to tether through OVI suites T-Mobile won't let me. The data plan not supported message pops up. But, data still works on the just the phone however.

[B]So, if I had a C7 or N8 would would I not have any of these issues? Would it work the same as my Nuron did no web to go?

It's so much more easy to check the forums, ebay, Facebook, and Amazon, etc on my laptop at work then to use the small screen on the phone...I miss this ability.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wldock View Post
    Wow, internet2.voicestream.com got the web on the phone to work however when I tried to tether through OVI suites T-Mobile won't let me. The data plan not supported message pops up. But, data still works on the just the phone however.

[B]So, if I had a C7 or N8 would would I not have any of these issues? Would it work the same as my Nuron did no web to go?

It's so much more easy to check the forums, ebay, Facebook, and Amazon, etc on my laptop at work then to use the small screen on the phone...I miss this ability.
    Remember to change the APN in OVI Suite to internet2.voicestream.com also. It is probably set to epc.tmobile.com since you use the Nuron.

Device(s)
    Nokia Astound, SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    ATT and Verizon Spied on You
    Feedback Score
    So far I'm liking the phone despite the lag and freezing issues. The photos are good, gps locks quickly, and tethering on my Mac is flawless (after figuring out the internet2 apn issue). I've gotten as much as 8mps dl, 2 mbps average in my area (san diego). Thats about the same as the 4g g2 I used briefly (and returned cuz the pics were rotten).

My only issue is the 3g/edge switching. At least with the g2, you could lock it on 4g. Anyone know a work around for this? And the blocking of joikuspot is ridiculous. Apparently, it's actually an FCC mandate (no doubt due to lobbying efforts) http://infectech.net/2011/03/09/fcc-...kuspot-in-usa/ I'm thinking that if you were to buy a European C7 (no warranty) you could still use it (tempting). I doubt the US C6-01 would allow it, but has anyone tried? I'm still in my cooling off period, so I might be willing to shell out $300 for the C6-01.

Device(s)
    Nokia Astound, SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone gotten google maps to work? It simply loads then quits.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by notedigo View Post
    So far I'm liking the phone despite the lag and freezing issues. The photos are good, gps locks quickly, and tethering on my Mac is flawless (after figuring out the internet2 apn issue). I've gotten as much as 8mps dl, 2 mbps average in my area (san diego). Thats about the same as the 4g g2 I used briefly (and returned cuz the pics were rotten).

My only issue is the 3g/edge switching. At least with the g2, you could lock it on 4g. Anyone know a work around for this? And the blocking of joikuspot is ridiculous. Apparently, it's actually an FCC mandate (no doubt due to lobbying efforts) http://infectech.net/2011/03/09/fcc-...kuspot-in-usa/ I'm thinking that if you were to buy a European C7 (no warranty) you could still use it (tempting). I doubt the US C6-01 would allow it, but has anyone tried? I'm still in my cooling off period, so I might be willing to shell out $300 for the C6-01.
    when does it lag or freeze ? is just random?

and i did not know about joikuspot.. that sucks. So if Nokia wants to sell phones in the U.S they have to alter the firmware ? Even if you buy an unlocked US version from amazon or newegg ?

btw the N8 and the C7 on amazon are almost the same price

Feedback Score
    And the blocking of joikuspot is ridiculous. Apparently, it's actually an FCC mandate (no doubt due to lobbying efforts) http://infectech.net/2011/03/09/fcc-...kuspot-in-usa/
    I know that you can't download joikuspot from the Ovi Store using the Astound. But has anyone tried to download it straight from joiku. Their website says it works with all Symbian ^3 phones with wifi. You can apparently download the installation file onto your computer and copy it over. If you have an Astound you can try it with their free version:

http://www.joiku.com/products/joikuspot_light

I'm wondering if Nokia actually put something in the firmware that prevents it from installing and/or operating correctly. Or if they're just not selling it at Ovi Store.

I'm thinking that if you were to buy a European C7 (no warranty) you could still use it (tempting). I doubt the US C6-01 would allow it, but has anyone tried?
    People are using it on the US N8 so I don't know why the US C6-01 would be blocked. According to the article, it may get blocked with the upcoming Anna updates.

Device(s)
    Nokia Astound, SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by go0gle View Post
    when does it lag or freeze ? is just random?
    It's pretty much random, and is actually more pronounced than my Nuron. I've also got the "memory full" message, even when I've only had one or two apps open. Any ideas here? The only thing I can think of is that one of the widgets is doing it, maybe email?

I actually purchased Joikuspot premium and installed it. Got an error message stating "Conn failed. Connection unavailable." I contacted their tech support, and was informed that it wouldn't work on the Astound. They refunded my money, but gave no further details. I'm assuming that all Nokias manufactured for the US will loose the ability to use the app as firmware is updated, but perhaps it's only branded phones. Are there any Cradlepoints that allow you to use a phone rather than a usb modem?

I thought about buying the unlocked N8, which may be free of the restriction, but the fact that it doesn't have a removable battery killed that idea. I use my phone for hiking, and backpacking (View Ranger rocks!!!), so I need to carry a spare.

So, does anyone know if theres some way to lock the Astound to the 3g network for tethering purposes, or get the google maps app working?

Thanks!
    Last edited by notedigo; 05-07-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's pretty much random, and is actually more pronounced than my Nuron. I've also got the "memory full" message, even when I've only had one or two apps open. Any ideas here? The only thing I can think of is that one of the widgets is doing it, maybe email?

I actually purchased Joikuspot premium and installed it. Got an error message stating "Conn failed. Connection unavailable." I contacted their tech support, and was informed that it wouldn't work on the Astound. They refunded my money, but gave no further details. I'm assuming that all Nokias manufactured for the US will loose the ability to use the app as firmware is updated, but perhaps it's only branded phones. Are there any Cradlepoints that allow you to use a phone rather than a usb modem?

I thought about buying the unlocked N8, which may be free of the restriction, but the fact that it doesn't have a removable battery killed that idea. I use my phone for hiking, and backpacking (View Ranger rocks!!!), so I need to carry a spare.

So, does anyone know if theres some way to lock the Astound to the 3g network for tethering purposes, or get the google maps app working?

Thanks!
    The only way I can think of is to unbrand the phone. However good luck of finding the compatible unbranded firmware/OS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet View Post
    Remember to change the APN in OVI Suite to internet2.voicestream.com also. It is probably set to epc.tmobile.com since you use the Nuron.
    Did not even realize this...I'm all good now, Thanks!

However, I just sent the phone back to Nokia because of reboot issues...will see how that turn out.

Device(s)
    Note II N7100 Rooted
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the Astound is free for tmobile upgrade after rebates....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast