Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Astound thread

Feedback Score
    I had a feeling that would happen. The T-Mobile store near me did not sell any during the first week. I think it will make for a very nice free phone provided one gets one that is bug free.

I just hope my phone is problem free as it's on the way back from Nokia for reboot issues. Looks like they repaired it instead of replacing it.

Feedback Score

C7 Astound - apps, games, ereaders

Hi
    I have a Nokia C7 Astound and I am very happy about its performance. I'm just gonna need some advice on what apps to install. I was thinking more of games and dictionaries and ereaders.
    Can you help?

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does this phone have wifi calling? T-Mobiles website shows it as a phone with wifi calling, but when you click on features or specs it mentions nothing about it.
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the Astound does have WiFi calling. Although the WiFi seems to have a mind of its own. It disconnects often. I am still experimenting with the settings.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjnyc View Post
    Yes, the Astound does have WiFi calling. Although the WiFi seems to have a mind of its own. It disconnects often. I am still experimenting with the settings.
    Is it an app like android wifi calling, or is it hardware like an e73?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    Is it an app like android wifi calling, or is it hardware like an e73?
    It's like an e73. Although I have not tried the WiFi to cell tower handover.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So, its been a few months now. Are any of you guys able to still use t-zones or web2go with the Astound? I only see the C7 listed in the list of t-zone compatible phones, and don't know if that means the Astound too.

Feedback Score
    Using web2go right now as I type. My Astound is tethered to my laptop using the new OVI Suite.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks wldock. I almost picked up a Nuron last year to replace my TM506 (which just won't die), but the Astound looks like so much more phone than the Nuron, so if they don't try to make me upgrade to another plan. the Astound is a great deal. I don't want to give up my old grandfathered t-zones.

Feedback Score
    The only way you are going to get the Astound on contract is to sign up for the $20-$30 web plan. I bought my phone off contract used from a guy on Craigslist.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wldock View Post
    The only way you are going to get the Astound on contract is to sign up for the $20-$30 web plan. I bought my phone off contract used from a guy on Craigslist.
    wldock - I'm not sure what you are basing that on. A lot of people in the grandfathered T-zones thread have bought other phones, such as the Nuron, HTC HD2, etc from t-mobile on the web, and simply plugged their SIM cards in when they got the phone and away they went. All these phones were either dumb phones, or phones that t-mobile doesn't feel the need to bother blocking from using t-zones. If you buy the phone at the store, or by phone, or don't have a grandfathered plan, its a different story though - they will try to saddle you with a more expensive data plan. There is a list of phones that will run t-zones without problems in the wiki, but only the C7 is listed, so I am not completely sure the Astound won't be flagged in the future to not let it run t-zones, or web2go. However, there are several users reporting running low cost web2go successfully on it. Of course there is never a guarantee they won't block it in the future.

Later Edit - after researching this some more, I believe wldock is probably correct, concerning getting an Astound on contract and keeping a low cost plan. All the reports I have seen of people keeping their old low cost plans are those who bought the phones off contract, or somehow ordered online and just didn't sign up for a new data plan. That makes sense, since when you buy one subisidized on contract, t-mo wants to get as much of its money back for the subsidy as possible. Think I will wait a while longer and see what shakes out.
    Last edited by smyrna5; 06-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia Astound, SE TM506
    Carrier(s)
    ATT and Verizon Spied on You
    Feedback Score
    Every report that I've read has said that even if they buy the phone outright and keep their existing plan, web to go or tzones will eventually stop working--that tmo catches on. You'd have to buy an unlocked, unbranded C7 to keep your old data plan. So keep us posted on if it keeps working wldock. I have another week in my cooling off period, so I could return it and go back to my old tzones, and pick up a used one like u did.

I was out of contract, so I got tmo to switch me to a grandfathered calling plan (1000 mins), $20 unlimited data and 500 sms messages for $50 after my corporate discount. I had been paying $63 for unlimited talk/data and 250 messages. So I might be able to get it down to $40 if they let me reinstate my old data!

Feedback Score
    Well, a Customer Service rep originally told me if I paid outright for the phone that I could use it on my web2go plan. But, when I bought the phone the story changed. Yeah their cust serv and tech support have a flag on the phone to upsell the $30 plan but...

I don't think the phone is on any list in their system, Many are using the ASTOUND, C7, N8, etc on the web2go plan with the older APN. I was really suprised that some phones like the Android HD2 will work. When you listen to T-Mobiles customer/tech support talk about how the Android based phones use a totally different system etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

I guess the HD2 is simply on there ignore list.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You have to upgrade to this phone online to keep web2go or other discount data plan. This phone is good so far with tethering to mac or ipod and internet.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wldock View Post
    Well, a Customer Service rep originally told me if I paid outright for the phone that I could use it on my web2go plan. But, when I bought the phone the story changed. Yeah their cust serv and tech support have a flag on the phone to upsell the $30 plan but...

I was really suprised that some phones like the Android HD2 will work. When you listen to T-Mobiles customer/tech support talk about how the Android based phones use a totally different system etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

I guess the HD2 is simply on there ignore list.
    I heard one person got switched to the 30 data recently even if they upgraded online.

Also last time I checked, the hd 2 ran windows mobile so I'm not surprised it works with web 2go like the other windows mobile phones.

Sent from my MB525 using HowardForums

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast