Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Nokia Astound thread

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anyone using the Astound with one of the old Grandfather's data plan (T-Zones, Phone First, etc.)? Does it work?

I am still using a 5230 (Nuron) and I would like something a little better, I keep balking at the prices for Smartphones and the associated data plans. I still have the $5.99 data plan on my current phone and would like to keep using it if possible.

Device(s)
    Nokia C7 Belle
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried it briefly yesterday. It worked on tzones, but I'm hating the symbian OS. It's a pain to navigate and customize. The only thing I liked on it was opera browser, trimble outdoors app and the OVI maps. It was purchased for my mom, but I think she wouldn't know how to work it and get lost in all the menus. I may dump it and get her an iphone instead. But I might try installing belle first. I think I'll stick with windows phone 7.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttermouth View Post
    Anyone using the Astound with one of the old Grandfather's data plan (T-Zones, Phone First, etc.)? Does it work?

I am still using a 5230 (Nuron) and I would like something a little better, I keep balking at the prices for Smartphones and the associated data plans. I still have the $5.99 data plan on my current phone and would like to keep using it if possible.
    it works on web2go. The astound is a huge improvement over the nuron, but it still pales in comparison to android and windows phone 7.5. I would suggest upgrading online to a windows phone instead. I think those are the only smartphones that allow the cheaper data plans that you can get on tmobile.com besides the astound.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Since I am already using the symbian OS on my Nuron, going to another phone with it wouldn't be a big deal. I am sure if I went to a real smart phone then I would find it painful to go back.

The Windows phone may be an option, although one thing I wondered about is the camera on both phones. The Astound has an 8MP camera while the Win Nokia only has 5MP. While pixel resolution doesn't tell you the quality of the photos, I wonder how the two compare to each other.

I normally use a dSLR and am into photography, so normally I won't be using the camera phone as my main photo taker, however I have been thinking lately if I get another phone, I really should try to get something that takes good photos for those times when it is all I have. A better camera is a more important feature to me on a mobile phone than a lot of other features.

Device(s)
    Nokia C7 Belle
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I haven't downloaded any pictures to compare the difference, but they both look good in daylight and they both seem to have the same options of EV, WB, Face detection, Iso, timer, etc. The Astound indoor pictures look dark compared to the radar, however I haven't check for blurriness of the pictures. If I try to bump up the exposure, it uses the flash.

After installing Belle, I am liking the phone. The widgets are cool and the homescreens are more android-like. Way more customizable than windows but not nearly as smooth. I really like the pull down status menu and the wifi toggle. They eliminated the active programs from the homescreen menu and the shortcuts do not show active status or notification. Only the main app list shows active programs. When you hit the end button, it kills the program. If you want it running in the background, you hit main menu button. Much better at task management than android.
    But like windows, apps are limited. How can you not have a kindle app? Web browsing does seem slow although I'm getting 3800kbs DL. One page takes a minute to completely load on the built-in browser, fortunately opera mobile takes 15 seconds with opera turbo on. Secure Wifi tethering requires a $12 app. And no google maps. I also lost swype when upgraing to belle. I can't stand pecking at that tiny keyboard with it's non-standard layout.

Device(s)
    Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N95, Nokia 5300, Neo FreeRunner
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twinight View Post
    I haven't downloaded any pictures to compare the difference, but they both look good in daylight and they both seem to have the same options of EV, WB, Face detection, Iso, timer, etc. The Astound indoor pictures look dark compared to the radar, however I haven't check for blurriness of the pictures. If I try to bump up the exposure, it uses the flash.
    Moving from the N95 to C7, the biggest difference is that the C7 is fixed-focus. This means that you can't take macro images. My work around is to take a picture from far away at hi-res and then crop down. It's not ideal. For me, this was the key difference between N8 and C7 and I decided that it wasn't worth several hundred extra dollars.

And no google maps. I also lost swype when upgraing to belle. I can't stand pecking at that tiny keyboard with it's non-standard layout.
    Google Maps works but it has a weird bug. You have to have wi-fi turned on when you start Gmaps (even if there is no wi-fi network available.) Once maps is running, you can turn wi-fi off and it will continue to work fine.

Swype is available for free from the Ovi store. I was also going crazy until I found it!

Device(s)
    Nokia C7 Belle
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I see what I did. I tried to download it through opera and it said the only compatible version was the Java app.
    What a joke that was. Imagine a touchscreen directional keypad taking half the screen.
    Tried downloading with the native browser and got the real version. Thanks for the wifi tip! I hate that Ovi maps does not display traffic even though it uses it to route navigation.
    I downloaded the trimble outdoors LE, but says a full version is not available for my device? Apparently it's compatible with Anna, but not Belle.

The only swype I saw avaliable through the "store" was international languages, but I found the beta 2.1 and installed that.
    Is the "store" on the phone the same as the OVI store, or is that a separate app? It seems like a lot of apps are missing.
    Last edited by twinight; 04-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N95, Nokia 5300, Neo FreeRunner
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Is the "store" on the phone the same as the OVI store, or is that a separate app? It seems like a lot of apps are missing.
    I'm referring to Ovi Store (which is also accessible through a PC when you are connected to Nokia Suite via USB.) It's true that many (if not most) of the major Android/iOS apps have not been ported to Symbian ^3. Sadly, I wouldn't hold your breath. Symbian isn't a huge priority.

Two apps that are essential for me (and worth the $):
    * Gravity -- all-in-one social media, especially good for managing multiple accounts (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.) It's well supported by the developer and updated often. I don't use the Nokia Social apps at all.
    * Shazam -- this is a music discovery program that attempts to ID songs playing in the air. They have integrated it with YouTube so that you can go back and listen to songs again once you discover them. I use this surprisingly often.

Another pro tip: if you want to extend the range of the FM transmitter, plug a short USB cable into your phone and leave the other end dangling. It will act as an antenna. I've been able to hit my stereo all throughout my apartment this way.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nokia astound has UMA. Not the best phone, but OK for UMA feature and works with tzone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I joined T-Mobile in February. I bought myself a Nokia Astound because it was only a $100 off-contract (on their value plan). But now... two months later the phone is dead. Won't charge, or boot or anything. Going to T-mobile store later this week to see what they can do for me.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile will replace it with a refurb. I think they charge $18,, or something like that.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10