Thread: Alltel to AT&T -- plans grandfathered for how long?

Feedback Score

Alltel to AT&T -- plans grandfathered for how long?

Apologies if this has been discussed but I haven't found it.

Our phone plans are from pre-Alltel (grandfathered from CellOne) and have been a good fit for us. Two dumbphones; contract has expired on each; they are on the same account. Last summer I contracted also for $60/mo unlimited data for accessing internet via my PC.

I've been given contradicting information by local Alltel CS folks. One has said that "once you buy equipment from AT&T, you will need to choose an AT&T plan." Another has said "we really don't know how long or if your [phone] plan will be grandfathered."

Our pre-selected phones are the Rugby II, and AT&T provided the Sierra Lightning USB data device.

The equipment just needs to "function" so we can reliably make/receive calls and VM, and have reasonable access to the internet. We don't want to spend more money per month, and we don't want to monitor/limit our use.

Does anyone know, can we somehow be grandfathered "indefinitely" if that's what we want, or is there a time limit? Right now I'm more concerned about losing the "unlimited internet" since the rollover-minutes might make a new voice plan acceptable (I haven't analyzed though).

AT&T can make and change the rules, but I'm hoping someone has useful insight as to what I should expect --- or helpful suggestions/thoughts.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Your plans will remain the same until you choose to change them by selecting equipment that requires a plan change or by selecting a different plan.

Feedback Score

Thank you ...

Clay, thanks so much for your clear and succinct response. I've read enough of this site to value your response greatly.

I don't know why our local CS reps (corporate) can't be well informed or even consistent; oh well.

Thanks again for putting an end to my stress!

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    If you look in the AT&T forum, there is a thread there about AT&T forcing old AT&T Blue customers over to new plans or canceling their service by mid May. Cingular took over AT&T in 2004 or 2005 iirc, so 6-7 years. If we get that, especially with more and more data customers with smartphones and internet cards, It would be a miracle. Unlimited data, especially on an aircard, will be unheard of in a few years. I really wish I got one when it was only $40/month more on my smartphone plan.

Feedback Score
    uli2000 thanks for the pointers.

I was thinking that if I'm "out of contract" then it's "only fair" that my plan can be discontinued. But CellOne and AllTel never did that, so we become accustomed to expecting the same. I'll figure on appreciating whatever I can get, and perhaps my needs will change by the time AT&T forces one!

I thought it might be wise to renew my contracts, same plan, to "lock in" my plans for some amount of time. But I read some of the AT&T contract and it turns out that they can change the game (plans, rates, area) when they want. In those circumstances the customer is allowed to terminate with no ETF and will not be charged for discounts received on devices. Perhaps it has always been this way with other provider contracts, I don't know! So it seems they aren't "agreeing" to the plan terms for the contract duration, just agreeing to let you have the device at discount.

Also, to follow up on the original question, now that I have transitioned, the AT&T CS has told me that I can keep my plans, and upgrade my phone (off a selected list) ... and presently they offer to waive the $18 upgrade fee. So far my plans appear to be pretty much the same as they were with AllTel.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone and an Android Tablet
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Some of us have been able to extend our Alltel contacts while upgrading to new phones. I know several people who upgraded to HTC Evos and still have their Alltel plans.

As long as they'll allow it, I think I'm going to stick w/ my plan... I'm happy w/ what I have. The real question will come when 4G phones are more mainstream and if/when they start turning off CDMA towers and going full LTE.

(oops, didn't catch that this was an AT&T subforum... I was talking about Alltel -> Verizon).