Thread: A few questions about text messages when out of service area

Feedback Score

A few questions about text messages when out of service area

If someone sends me a text message while I'm not able to get a signal, does the text message still go through? If so, would I receive it as soon as I'm able to get a signal? If it doesn't go through, would the sender know it bounced?

For incoming phone calls, while I'm not able to get a signal, I'm assuming the caller will receive an automated message telling them that I'm out of the service area. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If someone sends you a text when your phone is not able to receive it, it will be delivered when it is possible. In general, the sender will not know when you actually got the message.

For incoming calls while you have no signal, the person will either get a "caller unavailable" message, your voicemail, or a busy signal, or the phone will ring endlessly. It really depends on if you have voicemail or not and if you turned your phone off.

If your phone is connected to roaming tower and have funds in My Wallet, the call will ring and then go to voicemail if you don't answer. If you are roaming and don't have funds in My Wallet, your caller will receive a busy signal and will not be able to leave you a message.

If you have travelled into a Mobilicity dead zone and your phone has not switched to roaming, your callers could hear about 30 seconds of dead air when they try to call you. This happens when the network is trying to search for your phone in cases where the signal has suddenly dissapeared (example: going into a subway train). In those type of cases, your caller may get a busy signal or be transfered to voicemail. To prevvent your callers from getting dead air when you know you will go into a place with no signal, you should turn your phone off while you still do have signal.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the detailed response.

Carriers
    Mobilicity, Etisalat Afghanistan
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    BTW, anyone getting lucky and recieving roaming texts while out of coverage area? This glitch is awesome and i recieve texts whenever i am roaming free (no money in wallet)
    -------------------------------------- [ Windicity ] Must Succeed! ---------------------------------------

Phones
    R520
    T28W
    V60g
    Feedback Score
    I went to Blue Mountain and was roaming. Got a sms telling me that I have vm. Since I was roaming and got a sms, and I had money in My Wallet, it did cost me 20 cents, I think

Feedback Score
    Rex - with Mobilicity - keep $5 in ur wallet at all times just to make sure u get it all asap.

Mobilicity frees Canadians from cellular slavery (at least - until one of the big three gobbles them up)!

Feedback Score
    and the most important point.... choose WCDMA only regardless if u choose Mobilicity - CDN ROAMING - or US ROAMING - to keep ur charges as low as possible.

Mobilicity frees Canadians from cellular slavery (at least - until one of the big three gobbles them up)!

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    text messages have a validity period... usually 3-21 days for when it will stay on the servers pending delivery.
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.