Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lg420g shutting off by itself

Feedback Score

Lg420g shutting off by itself

Greetings, I'm new to this forum brought here by the purchase of a LG420g Tracfone originally to see if I could find a manual for this phone but I discovered a bug that I need help with if possible.

Phone meets expectations in all aspects but for one, if the phone sits overnight while still turned on it will, at some point during the night, shut itself off. Problem is it won't turn back on (pressing every button on the phone does nothing) unless I remove the battery and reinstall it. Then it will power up and work just fine until the next night.

At first, I thought it was due to the power saving features but I tried changing them to see if a different setting would make a difference but by morning I ended up with the same result. The first time it happened I thought the battery was dead but the battery was fully charged. I did try turning the phone off when I went to bed and it did turn on readily in the morning. It only happens if I leave it on all night, which is what I need to have in case someone needs to call during the night. Really makes this phone useless in that case.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this same problem and what they did to fix it, if possible, before I take it back to Walmart. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff S.

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, RETURN THAT THING while you still can!

I did extensive experiments with a pair of LG420g phones awhile back, and both were pieces of crap, to be honest. Several intermittent types of malfunction, turning themselves off unexpectedly, rejecting their SIMs unexpectedly for no reason, unreliable operation in general, weird Asian pictograph-language error messages occasionally, somewhat crappy signal-grabbing, intermittently ignoring incoming calls without ringing or giving ANY indication a call was coming in (it dropped to VM for the caller), occasional unexplained continuous (many minutes long!) battery-draining high-intensity RF chatter while idle in standby mode for absolutely no apparent reason... etc. etc. If you want the gory details, search my prior posts about it.

Just a piece of crap all around. And since I tested TWO of them, it was NOT just a "bad unit", it was inherent to the DESIGN itself.

I got rid of 'em both and got a Moto W376G, which has been fantastic in all respects so far, especially 100% reliability (excluding AT&T tower problems beyond the phone's control), astounding signal-grabbing and excellent voice quality. I can recommend this model provided you want a TELEPHONE and not a music player, movie player, high-res camera, a handheld computer, or other fluffy non-telephone features on your phone. The W376G is likely the best GSM phone ever made in terms of grabbing a signal and giving clear sound, which is what a TELEPHONE is supposed to do well.

I'd advise you to ditch the 420 and get something else. It's just not worth bothering with, IMO.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    If you live near a Family Dollar or Dollar General, you may be able to find a Motorola W376g for $15. Also, Home Shopping Network has a W376g with a year of service and 1000 minutes for $99.95 + 8.95 shipping. Better yet, they have an LG 290C with 1000 min/1 year for $79.95 free shipping for a limited time.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    I had a LG420g that shut itself off.... who can live with that? I returned it to Target where I bought it. There have been various bugs with that phone reported by posters here on Hofo, others have reported no problems. Although the phone can be had for little money its just not worth the grief IMO.

The W376g is a good suggestion by millept. Dollar General had them in a flyer 3 weeks ago for $10... maybe they'll do it again soon. Its the best phone I've ever owned for signal grabbing and voice quality.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The 376 is GSM like the 420. The 290 is CDMA (Verizon) and is very nice, well designed, well built, but heavy.

Phone
    LG Ultimate 2
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The LG420G shutdown bug is what brought me to this forum, too. I have a W376G now and while it lacks many of the cool features of the 420, it has never shut down on me in three months (the 420 could shut down several times in a single day). The 376 also performs very well just as a phone which is really all I wanted in the first place.

Not everyone has problems with the 420, but I sure did. In spades.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I took the phone back to Walmart and they exchanged it for another one (same model). There are only three phones available from tracfone for our area so I figured I'd try another one to see if there is any difference. After charging it up, I left it on all night and it came on this morning like I feel it should. I will continue to monitor the situation and report back if I see any more problems. Walmart didn't even slightly hesitate on replacing the phone like maybe they are aware of the problem. Walmart has been great on handling any problem I've encountered with Tracfone; I've dealt with them for past four years.
    Thanks again.

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have to put in a plug for the Motorola W370 to all you 376ers.Same phone , without the camera.The wife and I have been using them for quite a few years. Probably hard to come by , but I'd jump at the chance to buy another,as a backup.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I have to put in a plug for the Motorola W370 to all you 376ers.Same phone , without the camera.The wife and I have been using them for quite a few years. Probably hard to come by , but I'd jump at the chance to buy another,as a backup.
    This is on the McAllen/Edinburg Texas Criags List. The area code there is 956

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/mob/2275543526.html

Feedback Score
    Well, the phone saga moves on. I was thrilled that Walmart exchanged my faulty LG420g with another. It seemed to work fine the first three days I had it but, like the first one I had, this morning it would not come to life until I removed the battery and re-installed it just like I had to do to the other phone. Battery showed it was charged just like the other one would. I'm going to give up on this model and go back to my Motorola W376. It may have used the battery up quicker sitting in stand by but at least it works properly. This LG model is just plain crap. I'm really disappointed in LG products at this point and with Tracfone for pushing them. Does anyone test these products before they endorse them? Betting not.

Feedback Score
    For those of you who feel 'stuck' with a LG420g, there IS a workaround to the sudden battery drain.

The LG420G high battery-drain problem is linked to use of Alarm or Calendar reminders.

Specifically, if you touch ANY touchpad key or external button when an Alarm is sounding, it puts the phone into a high-battery-drain mode where both inside and outside view screens are on all the time, regardless of power save settings. It will fully drain the battery in less than 24 hours.

Once you understand what causes it, you can now prevent it or 'cure' it.

Either don't use Alarm or Calendar reminders, or follow this procedure to prevent high-drain mode.

There are two solutions: 1) let the alarm ring through the full 60 seconds, or 2) open and close the clamshell without pressing any external buttons or any phone keys. Then you may open the phone and turn off the alarm snooze reminder normally.

And, if you accidentally touch a button when an alarm is sounding, and put it into high-drain mode, just set another alarm a minute or two ahead, allow the alarm to begin ringing, and then open and close the clamshell to restore 'normal' function, then go turn off the alarm (if 'snooze' function was set.)

I've had my LG420g active since the first of December 2010, and, once I discovered this workaround, have only had one instance where it drained the battery somewhat unexpectedly, after I turned off an alarm by pushing the external volume control button while driving, and then forgot to restore normal function when I got to my destination.

Feedback Score
    I'll check this out, thanks for your response!

Feedback Score
    I have an LG420g and I NEVER have used any alarms or calender reminders and yet it does the same thing. Clearly it is an inferior product. When I first got it it worked perfect for a couple months. I charged it every once in a while and then would just go about my business. Then it started turning off randomly like this person said and I would remove and reinsert the battery. But, now I have to plug it in just to turn it on! Once it turns off there is no hope for me turning this thing on unless I have the charger. I have had it since December of 2010 as well and I think you are truly lucky to have one that isn't a absolute piece of garbage.

Feedback Score
    I agree, they are garbage! I will not buy anything LG again after messing around with three 420's (all defective). Very disappointed in LG and tracfone for the poor support for this piece of crap. My old Moto 376 was a better unit.

Feedback Score
    I had the same problem........
    The phone works fine if you just read and follow the comments by mdwychoff above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast