Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Media Center Catalogue Shut Down For Older Phones (after 03/25)!?!?!

Feedback Score

Media Center Catalogue Shut Down For Older Phones (after 03/25)!?!?!

Soooo heres the story, and I'm sure this has been brought up before but its having a huge impact on my phone experience, as well as my overall tolerance of VZW.

I have a Samsung sch-a900.

Apparently March 25th was the window of time for all people with older generation mobile phones to access getitnow to keep getting access to the catalogue. As it was explained to me, if you own an older generation phone, and you did not access GetItNow on the 25th, you will no longer be bale to access the GetItNow catalogue...EVER.

The strange part is, if you have pre-downloaded apps from the catalogue, but did not access it that day, the apps will continue to work, only you will never be able to access the GIN catalogue again, because your certificate expired...

It makes my head spin, but I guess my questions are this :

1) Is there anyway to get apps on my phone without the GIN catalogue? I have the following at my disposal : USB to Phone cord, PSTLite, firmware bundles.

2) Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue?

I am losing my mind over this , and customer service has nthing for me other than "We can upgrade your phone...thats it".

Thanks for any help, and god bless sim cards.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

April fools?

Sounds like a joke 2 me nice one!

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope, it's real. Notifications were sent out.

Sent from my DROIDX

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Never saw one... but if that's the case, then it means what no Mobile email client or any other App for phones like the Casio Gz'one boulder unless u happened to get it 6 days ago? Sounds a bit nuts...

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Motorola Droid A855
    Palm Pixi Plus (backup/fun)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Isn't the Samsung sch-a900 a Sprint phone?

Feedback Score

No Joke

As the droid user pointed out, this is no joke.

Notifications were sent out, which I missed.

For anyone using/holding onto older model phones ( I know env and razr2 are affected as well, since I activated and tried them), what this means is that if you have not accessed GIN on those phones since Fall, they will never be able to reach the GIN catalogue again. Your authentication/certificate expired March 25th, and as far as I can tell by talking to Verizon, there is NO way to get it back .

This somewhat decreases their resale value, and I wouldn't be suprised if you start finding alot of older phones on eBay being returned for inability to connect to the GIN catalog.

Again, the strange part is that if you have apps downloaded, they still work. You simply cant update them or access the catalog. If y

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?? Can I clone my GIN and transport it to another a990 (seems far fetched, but ...) ????

I've tried downloading through WAP, it doesnt work. I've tried downloading through the online interface, and it prompts me to go to GIN on my phone, which doesn't work.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I guess everyone with these types of phones has to hope their BA does not need to be reinstalled/upgraded ever...

Assuming this is fact, i'm still finding it hard to believe... no offense.

Is VZW just trying to get EVERY customer onto a smartphone of some sort?
    Is that the sneaky goal here, what's next disable the apps and mobile web?

Feedback Score

Smile

I dont take offense at anyone balking at the idea of this not being forreal, but I assure you, it si 100% real. If you don't believe me, turn on any older device you may have, *228 3 yourself onto it, and try to access the GIN catalog.

UNLESS YOU HAVE ACCESSED GIN ON THAT PHONE WITHIN THE PAST 8 MONTHS, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ACCESS GIN ON THAT PHONE AGAIN.

The way the VZW rep put it to me, they just weren't making that much money off of them, and thus they cut out the devices that didn't access it.

It is, simply put, the most retarded thing ever. I am a sch-a990 loyalist, having snatched up as many as I can online to insure I do not run out of them ( sounds OCD, but the phone is great), and now I will never be able to download VZNav again.

VZW also mentioned that it was partially their "third-party-vendor" that initiated the change. When I asked for the thrid party vendors contact info and name, they told me they couldn't disclose it. Now I am googling around to try and find GIN's contact info/address/phone number so I can tear them a new AyHole.

Very very upset, very very upset.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorcancer View Post
    Isn't the Samsung sch-a900 a Sprint phone?
    I thought that too, and that even Sprint stop selling them new like 3 or 4 years ago.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishazey View Post
    Notifications were sent out, which I missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishazey View Post
    Very very upset, very very upset.
    Yea, I would be upset too, if I missed such an important notice.

Feedback Score
    I told CS, "If I had received such a notice, I would have methodically went through all my old phones and updated the GIN catalog. Unfortunately, I saw none."

She proceeded to tell me text messages were sent out, there was a small print notice on the bill under "Things To Know", but it all sounded like a half-effort, which, I might add, never presented itself to me any SMS or URGENT form, only small print billing, etc etc etc etc

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    SPH-A900 is a Sprint phone.

OP is likely referencing the SCH-A990, which was sold by VZW. 5 years ago I might add.

That thing looks familiar, I think I bought one for a relative back in the day. But come on now, it's 2011 for crying out loud...

Also, based on what the OP stated in regards to an expired certificate, that makes a lot of sense. Every security certificate has an expiration date. If you use the device, the certificate can be updated before it expires, but since the OP hasn't accessed the GIN site in over 8 months, his certificate expired before it could be updated. Since he can no longer authenticate to the GIN site, he can also no longer update the certificate OTA. The original certificate was provisioned via the firmware, so by sideloading new firmware containing a fresh certificate this issue could be mitigated. However, I don't foresee SAMSUNG rushing out and commissioning new firmware for a device they sold 5 years ago. Realistically speaking, if OP hasn't used the service in over 8 months, chances are it's not all that critical.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score

Firmware?

Its not that I was not accessing it ; I had an a990, on which I used VZNav regularly, it broke, and (quite ironically) I activated another one March 26th, 12 hours after the cutoff. The new one will no longer work because I hadnt used it for 8 months.

I know, its enough to make your head spin ...

Question : You said all this sounds about right, considering the provisioning/certificate/etc. When you say NEW firmware... do you mean to say firmware for the a990 thats new?

BECAUSE.... I do have the zh_07.bin firmware package, and PSTLite. I have used it before to upgrade the a990's firmware.

Are you saying that if I reflash my current a990 with the firmware I have, the certificate MAY be renewed??? (hope is building, albeit cautiously)

Thanks again for taking time to answer the quesitons of a madman with a 5 year old phone. Theres just something about this a990 thats so eff'ing solid.

Feedback Score
    *side note - the firmware I have is not "new" in any sense... its simply the last software update they issued for the phone. thus, it was probably made sometime around 2007.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Right, I was speaking hypothetically that if SAMSUNG did create a new firmware package with a current certificate this issue could be resolved, but I don't expect that to actually happen, due to the age of the device.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast